NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:32 am

dsheinem wrote:but is anyone else playing Horizon: Zero Dawn right now as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0mWVVSkYHo

:lol:
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am

Tanooki wrote:I don't know anything about potions, not that I have a bottle to put them in anyway if that's required like in the past. Sounds like a temporary bandaid either as it's not a true level up is it? It does seem ridiculous that you can still get wiped out even with more hearts because of some canned strategy to jump or slash this way and not that way to survive. That feels pretty contrived and forced if that's the case as the older 3D (and 2D) games didn't do that. You found levels of armor, you found/earned more hearts, you kicked ass, but then again this isn't normal Zelda by any means. Don't get me wrong I don't hate it, but they way too far wimped out Link against even the wimpiest of enemies on two feet here.

I do like that idea of just walking the map to see what is around. I think those 2 spots that were missed in that comment earlier, I know there is one in a forest that actually is part of the Lost Woods, and as we know from Zelda stuff, there lies the master sword somewhere in there. I got curious where it was as far as progression goes in the story and you can get to it anytime you want to venture that way, but only after you have I think I read 13 hearts you can pull it. I guess it does some life depleting sword in the stone antics or whatever for added drama so you can't get it too soon.

Tips for being stronger. Find the great fairies, they beef up your armor. Find more great fairies, the bigger the upgrade.

When in shrines do everything you can to find the bonus chests and open them. I got a 50 power weapon from one that I have yet to use.

Make potions and cook. This Zelda has mechanics that you CAN NOT disregard. They built the game around planning, making potions and food that is situational to beef your character up is a vital part of your success in the game. If you ignore it you will fail.

Learn the intricacies of combat. Know when to dodge to the side or jump back or parry attacks so you can open them up with flurry attacks. You need all the advantages you can get.

Stealth and being a. good shot with arrows can be vital to success in combat. Certain enemies rush at you head first, making it almost impossible to get a headshot. Learn how each enemy moves and take advantage of it. Use the environment to succeed. Nintendo built the combat encounters in ways that almost always have a trick to them. Don't be afraid to just blow people up with bombs and send them flying off cliffs or into water.

Combat is meant to be challenging and is no longer a mash A situation like before. You need to use all of the combat tools and crafting to the fullest in order to succeed. They are there for a reason.

Also Tanooki, you mentioned earlier about having issues with inventory space for weapons and the like. Korok seeds are the collectible that, when redeemed, will add inventory slots.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 am

dsheinem wrote:....but is anyone else playing Horizon: Zero Dawn right now as well? I am finding it really hard to get into Breath of the Wild because of how much better in almost every way HZD does so many of the same things.

I went back to playing HZD too, which I'm enjoying a lot. I don't think the two are really as similar as they seem at first, but that's the one I felt like playing more. BoTW did strike me as one I'll circle back around to, but not as engrossing (for me) as some seem to be finding it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:13 pm

dsheinem wrote:I know I commented on this a few pages ago....but is anyone else playing Horizon: Zero Dawn right now as well? I am finding it really hard to get into Breath of the Wild because of how much better in almost every way HZD does so many of the same things. That's a shame, because BotW is a great Zelda game from the 4-5 hours I have spent with it so far, but there are quality and design gaps here that are hard to ignore....

So right before my Switch arrived I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I had done a ton of sidequests, finished the hunter's lodge, and was just about to do the quest that sends you to the ruins in the upper right of the map (which I can't remember the name of). I was level 38?

I then dropped it and haven't even wanted to go back because I've been massively sucked into Zelda. The two are doing completely different things in their open world approach, in my opinion. Zelda is 100% about exploration in the open world; the ability to climb any surface and the long sight lines with a controllable waypoint system really gets you to try and see what's over there. By contrast HZD felt more like it was about the combat, with some light traversal. You have so many more easily accessible combat options in HZD, whereas Zelda is pretty standard 3D Zelda combat. I'm certainly not feeling any quality or design gaps. HZD is definitely more photorealistic, but Zelda doesn't want to be that, and personally I am enjoying the art style.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:19 pm

People say switching the HUD to pro mode after awhile can be really fun. I did it and it takes off everything except your heart pieces and maybe some stuff contextually pops in and out. Might give it a shot after awhile.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:37 pm

MrPopo wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I know I commented on this a few pages ago....but is anyone else playing Horizon: Zero Dawn right now as well? I am finding it really hard to get into Breath of the Wild because of how much better in almost every way HZD does so many of the same things. That's a shame, because BotW is a great Zelda game from the 4-5 hours I have spent with it so far, but there are quality and design gaps here that are hard to ignore....

So right before my Switch arrived I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn. I had done a ton of sidequests, finished the hunter's lodge, and was just about to do the quest that sends you to the ruins in the upper right of the map (which I can't remember the name of). I was level 38?

I then dropped it and haven't even wanted to go back because I've been massively sucked into Zelda. The two are doing completely different things in their open world approach, in my opinion. Zelda is 100% about exploration in the open world; the ability to climb any surface and the long sight lines with a controllable waypoint system really gets you to try and see what's over there. By contrast HZD felt more like it was about the combat, with some light traversal. You have so many more easily accessible combat options in HZD, whereas Zelda is pretty standard 3D Zelda combat. I'm certainly not feeling any quality or design gaps. HZD is definitely more photorealistic, but Zelda doesn't want to be that, and personally I am enjoying the art style.

I am with Popo on this. These are two different games trying to accomplish two different things and both doing it exceptionally well.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm sure at some point, I will pick up HZD, and will enjoy it. Given some of the comparisons to Rise of the Tomb Raider or Uncharted, along with what is supposed to be a good open-world execution, I figure that'll happen... probably right after I finish up Zelda. :)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:49 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Tips for being stronger. Find the great fairies, they beef up your armor. Find more great fairies, the bigger the upgrade.

When in shrines do everything you can to find the bonus chests and open them. I got a 50 power weapon from one that I have yet to use.

Make potions and cook. This Zelda has mechanics that you CAN NOT disregard. They built the game around planning, making potions and food that is situational to beef your character up is a vital part of your success in the game. If you ignore it you will fail.

Learn the intricacies of combat. Know when to dodge to the side or jump back or parry attacks so you can open them up with flurry attacks. You need all the advantages you can get.

Stealth and being a. good shot with arrows can be vital to success in combat. Certain enemies rush at you head first, making it almost impossible to get a headshot. Learn how each enemy moves and take advantage of it. Use the environment to succeed. Nintendo built the combat encounters in ways that almost always have a trick to them. Don't be afraid to just blow people up with bombs and send them flying off cliffs or into water.

Combat is meant to be challenging and is no longer a mash A situation like before. You need to use all of the combat tools and crafting to the fullest in order to succeed. They are there for a reason.

Also Tanooki, you mentioned earlier about having issues with inventory space for weapons and the like. Korok seeds are the collectible that, when redeemed, will add inventory slots.

I've got 2 korok expansions adding +1 sword and +1 shield. I know the cooking method and I've got probably 2 1/2 panels full of roasted goodies.

I found the 1 fairy near town, but I didn't have the supplies at that point to use it. It did bug me though, it seems like a one shot deal. What if you apply it to less than awesome armor, do you lose the benefit later or does it carry over, or can you apply the +1 to any armor that's capable?

Never been good since Ocarina of Time doing the whole dodge/roll stuff. I more go in and out, or lock on and spin about and go in for the poke. I have greatly in most cases used bombs, even if it's slow. I'll find a ledge/steep slope and bowl for death, or I'll run away from stuff and drop one like a mine and detonate when one/pack of them are on it. I've not had to rely on using hand to hand yet much at all but also part of that is I don't want to have a good weapon break.

I think at this rate I may back off the main quest after I grab those shock arrows since they're out of the way and traverse the map. I'd like to add another 3-4 hearts to my life bar and scavenge up more body parts for cash. Primarily, transportation hot spots and towers for the map.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:01 pm

The way Great Fairy upgrades work is you can upgrade a given piece of gear as many times as Great Fairies you have found. So only found one? You can upgrade a given piece of gear once. Found a second? You can upgrade that piece of gear a second time. You're only restricted by your stock of crafting materials. There is zero reason to not upgrade a piece of gear; it appears that every single gear set (combination of hat, chest, legs) has a different set of crafting materials needed for the upgrade, so upgrading set A won't take resources away that you could have spent upgrading set B.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm

This is a Zelda that you can't succeed at if you don't learn the game mechanics. It's not Ocarina of Time; there's no loling your way through this one.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Nintendo