Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild - Wii U vs. Switch

Post by dsheinem »

marlowe221 wrote:Well fuck.

My copy arrived a few minutes ago and the damn disc won't read at all.

I took the day off of work for this shit.

Could you swap it out at a brick and mortar store for the same game, un-shrinkwrapped?
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

dsheinem wrote:

Could you swap it out at a brick and mortar store for the same game, un-shrinkwrapped?

Nope, I pre-ordered from Amazon.

But I called my local Gamestop and they had a copy so I drove over and picked it up. And I've already printed my return label for Amazon... :evil:
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Zelda starts off very strong. Definite sense of mystery and the visual design of the world is amazing!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

marlowe221 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

Nope, I pre-ordered from Amazon.

But I called my local Gamestop and they had a copy so I drove over and picked it up. And I've already printed my return label for Amazon... :evil:

See, what is up with Amazon dropping the ball hard lately? Some people were getting screwed with the Yakuza 1-2 reprints coming scratched too.

Sorry man. Guess I better cross my fingers.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:See, what is up with Amazon dropping the ball hard lately? Some people were getting screwed with the Yakuza 1-2 reprints coming scratched too.

Was his copy of BotW scratched from inadequate handling/shipping? Or was it not scratched, and the disc itself had a manufacturing error? Nintendo has had bad discs produced before.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:See, what is up with Amazon dropping the ball hard lately? Some people were getting screwed with the Yakuza 1-2 reprints coming scratched too.

Was his copy of BotW scratched from inadequate handling/shipping? Or was it not scratched, and the disc itself had a manufacturing error? Nintendo has had bad discs produced before.

I couldn't find a scratch on the disc of any size or shape. It was as if the disc was blank.

Fortunately, the copy I got at my local GS worked just fine. I'm really enjoying the game so far. I think I'm about to get off the Great Plateau.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Played around with it a bit tonight. Got killed (twice!) by a blue bokoblin.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Played around with it a bit tonight. Got killed (twice!) by a blue bokoblin.

I fell off the damn tower and died. I also lost a heart when I summoned an amiibo chest; the chest fell directly on my head. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I spent an hour or so with it last night. Working on getting off the plateau. I am impressed and am looking forward to playing it through. Tried a bit both on the TV and in portable mode. I recommend turning off the HUD, by the way.

When I woke up this morning I fired up...Horizon: Zero Dawn :lol:

It is in many ways unfortunate that the new Zelda came out the same week as perhaps the best open world RPG I've ever played. It is a bit rough to go from the amazingly smooth, fast, and stunningly detailed world of the state-of-the art game that is HZD to a game that seems in many ways like it is from the last generation. That isn't a knock against Zelda per se, and I know they aren't trying to do all the same things, but there's enough game design overlap that the comparisons are tough to avoid and don't generally favor Breath of the Wild...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

After being out at the pinball arcade expo for hours with a friend yesterday I got into the Zelda game from like 11-2. I got the magnetism, took down multiple bokoblin spots, and got the bombs too. It's a little quirky on certain things which will annoy but get used to like trying to re-sheath a weapon isntead of firing it, and the clunkiness of having to pull out another weapon specifically going between bow/arrows and swords. I walked most the map until I hit that spot where you have the freezing water and the busted bridge. I kept dying and got pissed around 1:45ish and stopped. The magnetism thing is clunky. I eventually figured out the metal plate was there and would move it, but you can't seem to pivot/rotate it, just push and pull and it kept going into the damned water. And on top of that I'd freeze to death, and after a few of those I was done.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to kill this big rock guy for those who know what I speak of. I had some bomb arrows and they did decent hurt but only 5, and then I got killed and my arrows were gone and he was restored (grr) Regular arrows would probably take 200 to kill it which I don't have, and you can't seemingly jump on its back or jump swing a weapon, or throw a weapon to hit the weak spot. I wonder what the deal is with that thing.

Presentation wise the Zelda game is a launch title and vs art style the quality of the package to me sits on the back end of the PS3 generation while the PS4 was just inching out, so it's got potential to grow over the years as people push it further as no one blows out a system day one as that just sets a bar for years of whining and failure comparisons. The system itself the menu is awesome, minimalist like a tablet/phone so easy to get there and quick, as was the eshop to my surprise. No stupid friend codes yet unless I think you setup parental controls which I won't touch, and no phone stuff yet multiplayer works so that's a non-issue for now too.

I should fire up Bomberman here today, but I kind of want to take another swing at Zelda. I'm annoyed at where it was left. Hardest Zelda in my memory since the NES period, yet they don't seem to punish death either other than a red X on the map for the latest corpse.