Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Super behind on reviews because aahhhhh college :| Reviews are a little on the shorter side and probably not well put togetehr, but at least I'm nearly caught up now!

1/15: Caladrius Blaze (PS4)
This was quite a fun SHMUP! Part of the fun is probably partially due to the super easy difficulty mode that I played on (I can’t SHMUP very well), but a lot of the different bullets you can shoot are just fun to use. It also has several different people to play as and several different modes, so it definitely has some replayability as well.

Also, clothes will come off if you shoot the enemy enough times, which might be a positive if you’re into that sort of thing haha. If your character gets hit to much their clothes will come off as well, but I played as Caladrius (who is a bird) so that didn’t happen in my playthrough.

Recommended!

1/16: Cat Quest (PS4)
I originally mostly just wanted this game because it was a cute RPG starring a cat (it’s not like it got awful reviews either), but it turned out a lot better than I expected it would! It’s an action RPG where everyone is a talking cat, and you’re tasked with rescuing your sister. The plot isn’t really anything special, but the gameplay was really enjoyable for me. You have a basic attack, a dodge roll, and a few spells and while there isn’t much more to the combat than that, it all controls very well. Additionally, the main way that you get EXP in the game is to do quest for other cats, and I enjoyed doing all of them. They all were funny and filled with cat puns, which made them a blast for me.

While it’s a fairly simple and short game (I think it took me ~5hrs to beat), I definitely would recommend that check if out if you like simple action RPGs and don’t mind cat puns :)

1/21: Doki Doki Literature Club (Steam)
It’s really difficult to talk about this sort of game, where most of the appeal I think is in a big twist (especially when the twist deals with some heavier subjects). It’s also hard to talk about, because that big twist did not affect me as much as it did to many others. Unfortunately, I think it may have went a little too over the top for me to be affected much by the twist. I think it’s a well put together visual novel (especially since it’s free), but it didn’t really do a lot for me.

1/30: One Way Heroics (Steam)
Rouge-likes have been one genre of games that I’ve been meaning to try more of as I’ve enjoyed the few that I’ve tried out. I’m not normally into re-doing the same sort of thing over and over again, but I think I think the procedurally-generated aspect of them really helps me to enjoy them (plus it tends to be easy to try again after a failure).

Anyway, One Way Heroics is indeed a rouge-like, but it’s a little bit different than most. Instead of exploring multiple different multi-floored dungeons, One Way Heroics has you run around in an open world. Each time you take an action (whether that’s moving or using an item) the darkness on the left side of the screen inches a bit to the right. If you get caught in it then it’s over, so you have to constantly moving to the right. Other than that, it’s a fairly standard rouge-like, but that difference does change things up a bit. Even if it was a bit easier and shorter than the other rouge-likes I’ve played (having the option to carry over a limited number of items sure helps), I definitely think I will come back to it to try out other classes and to get additional endings.

2/19: 12 Labours of Hercules (Steam)
Not much to talk about with this game. It was a nice time waster when I was stressed and couldn’t think straight, but I wouldn’t recommend it if you want any sort of challenge. It’s a very easy, casual resource management game with no way to lose (unless you really want all of the achievements) and doesn’t really do anything different from other resource management games. Only notable thing I can think of is that the narrator (who voices the story cutscenes in between levels) sounds really odd.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Very strange, I'm the exact opposite with MM9 and 10. MM9 is fantastic, MM10 is pretty good but is missing some of that magic. It is easier, though, which helps it not be so stressful.

Anyway, I'm here to announce that finally, somehow, I finished Find Mii on 3DS. Stop laughing, dang it! I don't tote my system around much, so steps are hard to come by, and I don't StreetPass much since I don't travel a whole lot, either. My last work trip saw no tags, so... yeah. But I've been getting back in shape, so I decided, hey, I'm using this elliptical. Why not get some steps in and finish it off? So I did. It's a neat little distraction, at any rate. I can see this (and the expanded stuff) being a lot neater if you actually used all the networking features properly.

For those that might not have a 3DS, the game is a simplified RPG. People you meet are your fighters, but you can also recruit people with coins that you earn from walking. Or faking the system out, you know. At any rate, I'm glad to finally be done with it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Now you're ready for Find Mii II!
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*
11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)
12. ChuChu Rocket! (SDC)

*13. Super Metroid (SNES)*

I completed Super Metroid on the Super Nintendo this afternoon!

Super Metroid is a nearly flawless game. The only complaint I can find is that I wish the controls weren't so stiff. However, I eventually got used to them and they were not a problem most of the game. Besides that, Super Metroid is perfect in nearly every single way. From the music to the graphics to the atmosphere to the boss design to the level layout to the ground breaking history, it is an utterly fantastic experiences. One of the best games of all time and deservedly so.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Am I the only one who found Mega Man 10 more challenging then 9? I just played them both back to back and 9 was tough but it was tons of fun, had a great weapon selection, and the challenge was fair.

I found that Mega Man 10 had some horrific level design that was hard for all the wrong reasons, and the lack of a slide, mega buster, and a horrific selection of weapons, made the game incredibly frustrating. I realize that 9 also lacked the slide and mega buster but the awesome weapon selection made up for it(especially the hornet chaser and jewel shield, so much fun to use)

This year my goal was to play through mega man 1-10 in anticipation of the release of 11, so far I have played every game except 3 and 7, and I can concretely say that after playing them all in such close proximity that 10 is hands down my least favorite and the only mm I am likely to never play again.

Having played 9 for the first time since its release, it has jumped to the top of my favorite mega man games, and I will definitely make it a point to revisit this game more often
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1. Tyranny (PC)
2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
3. SUPERHOT (PC)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)*
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
6. Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)
7. Nine Parchments (Switch)
8. X-com: UFO Defense (PC)
9. Chocobo Racing (PS1)
10. Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (GBA)
11. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
12. Dragon Quest (3DS)
13. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below (PS4)
14. Dragon Quest II (3DS)
15. Kirby Star Allies (Switch)
16. Hearthstone Dungeon Run (PC)

17. My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS)

I saw Elkin beat this a month or so ago and it made me wanna finally try and have a go at beating it. It's really fun! It's a great little Picross game. It's a Picross game you can get for (effectively) free on the My Nintendo awards program, and it's got 45 normal Picross puzzles, 45 of the same pictures but in a "Mega Picross" mode, where the order of the puzzles is changed and a new mode of solving is introduced. In Mega Picross, there are new number-indicators that span two rows or columns indicating an unbroken series of blocks located in that column. Even playing Mega Picross right after the normal Picross, the same pictures were totally new puzzles in how you have to totally retrain your brain on how to Picross to even solve them. There's also a Micross mode, where you do a bunch of little puzzles that make up a very large picture.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. It's a free game (effectively), and it's a great little time-waster on your 3DS if you want more Picross than just Pokemon Picross and don't wanna spend the cash on something like Mario Picross on the VC. It's as great a puzzle game as it's ever been, and this package ain't a bad for the entry fee :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Sengoku 3 on Switch. Loved it. I do have it on PC I just never got around to finishing it because of controls. Also just don't like gaming on PC. The game is pretty tough but fuck it I added 99 creds because I can. Judge me all you want. Enjoyed the hell out of it. SNK detail to these games impresses me more than many 3D games. Like the reflection of the buildings moving as you moved in the water on the ground.
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

Wolverine Origins. aka the remarkable regenerating t-shirt

It's a really fun game, but it's also every Activision Marvel super-hero game you've played in the past twenty years.

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Woo! After these two reviews, I only have one more review to write before I'm caught up (and it is something that Bone will be happy about :wink: ). Again they're kind of short since I'm kind of bad at writing long reviews :oops:

3/29: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (3DS)
Nostalgia time! The original GBA version of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga was the 2nd RPG I’ve ever played (first being the GBA version of Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban) but I never beat it. The reason? I was stuck on a certain part of the game, which was pretty close to the end, but I had no idea how to proceed. I guess I didn’t know about walkthroughs because I didn’t beat until now in the 3DS remake haha. Turns out the part I was stuck at was a pretty dumb place to get stuck at (kids are dumb I guess haha).

Anyway, after all this time I still really enjoy the game. It’s definitely not a standard turn-based RPG, as one of the main gimmicks in the game is that you have to time your moves properly to pull them off successfully (with A always controlling Mario and B always controlling Luigi). When it’s the enemies turn, you also have to time your jumps or counterattacks correctly if you don’t want to take any damage (if you’re good enough, you won’t take any damage in the whole game!). Sadly, I’m garbage at dodging most things so I did utilize one of the new additions to the remake, the easy mode, to help me figure out which bro was going to be attacked.

Other than the battles, the game is very colourful and full of humour. While I still think the spritework in the original still looks good, Nintendo did a good job with the visuals in the remake with the added lighting effects.

Honestly, I don’t have many complaints that I can really think of. If there wasn’t the easy mode option then maybe I would complain that some of the moves are impossible for me to read correctly, but that’s about it I think. Highly recommended!

4/12: Frost (Steam)
Frost is a digital card game that I randomly stumbled upon and gave it a shot since the demo was a lot of fun. It’s quite a challenging card game with the goal of making it though a blizzard to your destination. You get a new hand each turn with different kinds of resources you can use (and sometimes useless fatigue cards). In order to proceed to the next area, you need to spend a certain number of resources, such as 2 foods, 1 lumber, and 2 people. You can also use these resources to acquire better cards or trade with other people (if they are available in that area). If you can’t proceed to the next area in one turn, then a counter goes down. If the counter reaches 0, you freeze in the blizzard. Each time you move to another area, the counter goes back up one, so if you’re able to use your available resources well (and lucky), you can reach the end safely.

There’s not a lot of modes to the game, there are a few scenarios which I think add some different characters to play as, but it’s entertaining for a few plays at a time. Would probably recommend only if you tried and enjoyed playing the demo.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock* [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
22. Resident Evil HD* (PS4) [PLATINUM]
23. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares* (PS4)
24. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition* (PS4) [Vergil]
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)

* = replay

Nioh was the big one from last year that I missed but always knew I would absolutely love and I was totally right. At a glance, the game looks like a Souls-like, but I can easily see how that can annoy some fans because this is Team Ninja's AAA work here and the DNA of Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) is definitely embedded into this. I also got a lot of Onimusha vibes which I love and have been craving for two gens now, since Capcom left that franchise in the dust for whatever reason.

The thing that sets Nioh apart from the Souls side of things is that the combat is insanely deep like you'd expect from the character action genre via Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry. There are 5 weapon types each with their own in depth skill trees, three stances that have completely different move sets, and within those skill trees are new moves you can unlock, finally with the ability to manually customize each stances' moveset to your liking. I played the entire game focusing on the traditional swords/katana and never got bored, even in the last level I unlocked some new moves that I was trying out. There's also your Ki which is basically stamina for these types of games and its usage is far more intricate than the norm too, as you can do Ki pulse/burst moves if you time things right, blasting away Yokai pollution that buffs enemies and debuffs you, etc... it's insane how much depth is in the combat. And it feels extremely visceral and satisfying.

For me, I also thought that this game was much harder than any Souls. From start to finish, basically everything killed me in 2-3 hits even as I constantly upgraded stats and armor. I ended up unlocking one ability that revives you on the fly and another cool regeneration potion, but yeah. The bosses were crazy tough. I was a little scarce on the Guardian Spirit usage though, think of this as say Dante from Devil May Cry going into Devil Trigger mode or something - you can start doing really crazy moves and the damage you take only hurts the timed Guardian Spirit. This builds up (quickly honestly) after defeating enemies and is very useful against bosses or tough encounters. It's been awhile since a game made me rage as much as Nioh here did but at the same time, I loved that. If you're familiar with the Souls games you can get pretty comfortable with them after awhile, or the second half starts getting a bit too easy. Nioh? It was a constant uphill battle all the way through and I was constantly learning and improving my skills with the combat, just like with Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, etc.

The game is mission structured, which is fine with me and makes it easy to pick up and put down. That said, these missions can still run for quite awhile and take some time to get through. There's always multiple save points though and items you can use to back out of missions if needed. The level design is for the most part great, with dense ancient Japanese medieval atmosphere, but it's never as impressive as From Software's creativity. I never found myself bored or complaining about the levels of Nioh, it's just not its biggest strength.

The other big thing that sets this game apart is both a pro and con for me - loot, as in a Diablo styled loot system. So yeah enemies are constantly dropping equipment and weapons that you will need to manage. This obviously offers a near endless amount of content to keep playing but after awhile, it is a bit of a grind to micro-manage your inventory at the end of levels or even during them at times to keep things clean and organized. You can "lock" things in place so they aren't sold/broken down so easily, use a storage at the main map and there's many tiers of rarity. I can't really knock on this but by the end of the day, I do love how simple the Souls games are in comparison and item drops don't really have constant randomized and scaled stats, so it's much easier and faster to manage.

This game is just monstrous in general too. I clocked in about 57 hours before seeing the credits roll. I did do all the sub missions up to this point and made sure to find all the little Kodama guys hidden throughout the levels, don't worry it's not as hard as it sounds and they're easy to find (especially with a radar ability you can use). But I didn't do all the Twilight Missions, which are two harder/advanced missions that rotate via online daily. And even after beating the game, three new sub missions unlocked and another main one that I think lets you go into NG+. Then there's the DLC which is a bit tempting, the season pass runs ~$25, but offers 3 new regions (the base game has 6), 2 new weapon types which is huge, more rarity tiers even, and some endless 999 floored dungeon. So this is certainly the game that keeps on giving and I think if someone were to get the Complete Edition or go all in, you're easily looking at possibly hundreds of hours with some NG+ runs on the higher difficulties.

That said, Nioh's story isn't that most interesting thing in the world nor is it the games focus. This is a 99% gameplay first kind of game which for the most part, is my preference. But with something that goes for so long and is constantly highly challenging, I do think I am needing a break and ready for something else for the time being. Until then, I might chip away at some of these extra late game sub and Twilight missions, then maybe check out the DLC when I'm ready for more. For something that is so extremely polished and quality though, I definitely can't complain about the abundance of content here. It's staggering how much work Team Ninja put into this.

Reports last year are that this was Koei Tecmo's best selling game in the West and quite a comeback for Team Ninja. Some think they lost their way with the newer Ninja Gaiden sequels, even though I think 2 Sigma was good and 3 Razor's Edge was awesome (I know the first version was horrible, apparently). I would love to see Ninja Gaiden return eventually but if they make more Nioh, potentially in new settings or around something that isn't the usual Oda Nobunaga, I would be extremely excited for more. This game is no Souls knockoff whatsoever but the comparisons are certainly there at times, how can it hurt to get some more variety though? For anyone that loves brutal action games, the Souls titles, and the days of Japanese character action games from the PS2 era dominating the scene, definitely get this game. Excellent.