Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Sarge »

You know, I never did comment on you beating Beyond the Beyond. That's a game I want to love, and I think I'd like it more if it didn't have that stupid timed button press thing that delays everyone's turns, making battles longer than they need be. It really does feel like Dragon Quest by way of Camelot, and that could have been amazing.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Sarge wrote: That's a game I want to love, and I think I'd like it more if it didn't have that stupid timed button press thing that delays everyone's turns, making battles longer than they need be. It really does feel like Dragon Quest by way of Camelot, and that could have been amazing.

You know, I beat the game without ever using that function.

It is never explained in the game. The game never tells you about it and even the instruction booklet doesn't talk about it. So, I never did it. There is this item that halves all magic damage and that makes boss fights much easier. With that and some time grinding, the game gets much easier.

It is VERY much like Dragon Quest as done by Camelot. Camelot also did the Shining Force series back in the day and it has elements in it as well. As I mentioned to Bone, they later did the Golden Sun franchise and that is also there as well. It's also the first JRPG released on the PS1, so it is very Super Nintendo in its look.

It's not bad and worth a shot if you love JRPGs.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

There it is. There it IS. There it freakin' is. No-death run of Contra. First run was almost perfect, managed to get taken out at the end by one of the stupid aliens at the last boss. Second run saw the victory.

That's one thing off my bucket list for sure.

And no, I'm not gonna do it for Super C. At least not yet...
Raz
16-bit

Post by Raz »

1. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)
3. Wild Guns: Reloaded (PS4)
4. World Heroes (SNES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again (SNES)
6. Strider (PS4)
7. Super Bust-A-Move (PS2)
8. Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (DS)

I've been slacking off on trying to beat games lately so I finished this one off since all I needed to do was beat the 2000 m stage. Mr. Driller is an action puzzle game series where you dig down through the underground filled with colorful blocks as far as you can go before you get crushed by falling blocks or run out of air. It's kinda similar to Dig Dug (the main character is actually the son of the main character from Dig Dug, and is also a playable character). This is actually the first Mr. Driller game I've played (not counting the few times I played the arcade version). I played the North American release, which from what I understand is an inferior version because it is missing another playable character and another game mode present in the other regions.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:No-death run of Contra.

Awesome man, you must have been in full theta mode.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The scary part is that I wanted to record it, so I booted it up again and did another no-death run. But Nestopia has a bug in 1.40 that screwed up the recording. :(
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Markies wrote:1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)

7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)

I completed R.B.I. on the NES this evening!

I have been craving some NES Baseball action for Months, so I was very happy to finally find a good one at a local store. R.B.I. was in my house while growing up, but I was happy to finally play through the game and beat every team.

R.B.I. Baseball is one of the first Baseball games released on the system. However, it improves on everything the black box Baseball game did along with adding real players and teams from the 1986 season. The game plays great and really shows how to make a fantastic baseball game on the NES.

Unfortunately, it does not have any of the added features that come with the later baseball games. There is no season mode or specialties that are unique to the game. It is very vanilla in a way, but it is the foundation for the glut of baseball games on the NES.

It is still enjoyable to play after all these years even though others eventually passed it by.

Nice. That game is on my "to beat" list, and I plan on getting to it this summer. What criteria did you use for beating it?
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Markies wrote:I completed R.B.I. on the NES this evening!

Nice. That game is on my "to beat" list, and I plan on getting to it this summer. What criteria did you use for beating it?

There are 10 teams in the game. 8 playoff teams from the 1986 Season and 2 All Stars teams. If you pick one team, you will play all 9 teams in a 'season'.

At the end of the 'season', you get a special little video of your teammates throwing you in the air. That is what I used as my criteria. You just win 9 games and that is all.

It took me around 3 hours or so to beat. It's funny, but the beginning of the game was harder than the last part. By the end, I was beating teams in 3 innings or so. The All Star Teams, Anaheim, Boston, Detroit and New York are probably the best teams in the game with the All Star Teams being the best.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The World of Longplays video series is always useful when trying to determine when a sports game (or anything else with an ambiguous "ending") can be considered beaten.

For instance, here's their NES Baseball video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abv3xQ6-mVk
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. VVVVVV (Vita)
2. Firewatch (PS4)
3. Watchdogs (PS4) replay
4. Watchdogs 2 (PS4)

Watchdogs 2

This game is pretty well made and honestly improves over a lot of the mechanics in the original however I found myself not really enjoying it as much as the first. I like a main story line to have focus and this game just doesn't really check that box for me. Missions and side missions feel very much the same and while fun with some interesting stories here and there it doesn't really mesh together into as solid a plot line as the first game. That being said it's a great game if your looking for a time sink there is a massive amount of stuff to do and most of it is quite enjoyable even after you've beaten the main mission and all the side missions there are still uber style driving missions, city landmark selfies to track down, and quite a few multiplayer game types although I found that 50% of the time people were exploiting some of the cheaper gameplay mechanics making them not very enjoyable.

My only real issue with the game is the vast variety of new hacks and tools. They remapped the controls to accommodate these new skills as well as changed up some of the commands and that bugged the crap out of me coming straight out of a replay of the first game. Also most of the new stuff essentially breaks the game the drone and jumper robot are really fun to play with but they nearly completely eliminate your need to ever enter a restricted area which completely zaps the difficulty of nearly every mission since guards completely ignore you when not in a restricted area and if a drone is detected they just destroy it and you have to wait 30-40 seconds for the skill to reset. Later on you even got bombs for the drones which further destroys the difficulty since crafting and consumables are basically gone, and all larger hacks / throw able weapons refill after a short cool down period. About the only thing I do like is the hacking puzzles are now physically spread across the environment so you have to move around to move switches and line everything up as opposed to just sitting a screen which spiced up what used to be somewhat boring puzzles.

Altogether if you want a slightly lower quality GTA clone with a massive amount of content to explore then this is a great game to try out. It was well worth the $25 or so I spent.