107. EVE: Gunjack - PlayStation 4 - October 20
108. Titanfall 2 - PlayStation 4 - October 30

November (4 Games Beaten)
109. The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces - Wii - November 3
110. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Vita - November 6
111. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Wii U - November 11
112. State of Decay - Xbox One - November 15

112. State of Decay - Xbox One - November 15

I first tried State of Decay a few years ago back on Xbox 360. I thought it was okay, but I really wasn't impressed, and within half an hour, I'd gotten bored and quit. Since the PlayStation 4 is my console of choice for multiplats this gen (with the exception of the EXTREMELY few games that are also released on Wii U), my Xbox One is pretty much reserved for console exclusives. Since there are so few of those, the Xbox One section of my shelf always look pretty sad next to the gargantuan PlayStation 4 section. So the I was in Gamestop one day, browsing through the used Xbox One games in case one caught my eye with a particularly good price, and I saw State of Decay sitting there for about $25. I thought to myself "Well, I wasn't really impressed with it back then, but I didn't know it had gotten an Xbox One remaster, and I really didn't spend too much time with it, so I guess it's worth giving another shot for the sake of having another Xbox One game in my collection." And there, on my shelf, it sat for about a year, patiently awaiting the day I would give that "other shot."

Well, State of Decay, your patience has finally paid off. I popped that bad boy in my Xbox this past Saturday, and while I still found the game a bit slow to start, once I got into it, I was hooked. Since this is the "Year One Survival Edition," it included Breakdown and Lifeline, the game's two DLCs. The bulk of my experience, however, was with the base game, and while I'll touch on the DLC at the end, the base game is going to be the focus of my review. So for those of you who haven't played the game, what is State of Decay? It's basically a light RPG crossed with a survival sim. You have various skills in which you can level up each character - fighting, shooting, cardio, etc. - but those skills are mostly secondary, and the game never really highlights them except to notify you when you level up. The core of the gameplay is building up your base and completing missions throughout the map. Some of these missions are core story missions, some are side missions (like completing a quest for another group of survivors in the area), and some are bullshit randomly generated missions just for some variety and extra influence (a currently I'll explain later) like destroying a zombie hoard or going to save a member of your party who is perilously trapped in an empty house with no zombies for three blocks around.

The game's story is - much to my surprise, actually - pretty good. It's not a heart rending narrative that puts many novels to shame like The Last of Us, but the VERY few characters that are developed are relatively interesting, and while not fleshed out that much, the few little plot strands it has going are interesting. It's definitely not the focus of the game, but it does at leave have something in that department. The heart of the game is the survival aspect. It's not overly difficult, but you do have a few things to balance. Obviously not getting eaten by a ravenous hoard of the undead is a must, but you've also got five resources that you have to make sure your base has in enough supply - food, building materials, ammunition, fuel, and medical supplies. You can scavenge these in most buildings once you clear them of zombies, but you can only carry one rucksack of supplies at a time (although you can put them in the trunk of a vehicle and carry multiple back to your base that way). The vehicles are also well implemented. They're loud, so while a car is useful to get around quickly, carry supplies, and run over zombies, they can't take too much of a beating, and if you're driving to a mission location, you'll probably have a group of flesh munchers tailing you. Of course, you can usually run them over real quick before you hop out, but it's a consideration in some situations.

You also have to keep an eye on the durability of your melee weapons. They'll last a pretty good time, but they will eventually break, and while you have a default knife that you use when you don't have a melee weapon equipped, it's REALLY bad, so I made a habit of keeping two melee weapons with me at all times so I'd have a spare in case mine broke in the middle of a particularly intense fight. You also have to consider carefully how much ammo to keep with you. Stuff like .357 and 9 mm ammo are pretty plentiful, but stuff like .44 and .50 can be harder to find, so you need to use those bullets judiciously. You can also only carry stacks of 30 bullets, and your inventory space is painfully finite. I usually made sure I had a full magazine and then a full stack of 30 bullets with me before I left my base, but some guns - like the LMGs - left me burning through that in the blink of an eye while other guns - like shotguns and handguns - would see 30 bullets lasting me two hours. I usually used melee combat just to save bullets and cut down on the noise (so as not to attract more zombies), but some of the special zombies like the bloaters and juggernauts really call of guns, and the screamers and ferals are just a lot easier to take out with copious firepower.

While the remaster does look much better than the original Xbox 360 version and runs at full 1080p instead of 720p, it's still not a game that will knock your socks off graphically. It's not quite Resident Evil 2, but it's certainly no Halo 5. Now, addressing the DLC, I played a little bit with each of them, but I didn't put more than a couple hours into either DLCs. Breakdown is basically the core game sans story. It's pure sandbox survival, and there's no plot whatsoever and no endgame other than death. Truthfully, most gamers will probably enjoy this mode the most since the story, while decent, is fairly shallow and forgettable, and the survival is just so damn fun. Lifeline, on the other hand, is a story-driven DLC. In the main game, the military is painted as a brutal force with no regard for the surviving civilians and just as content to kill living humans as quickly as zombies. Lifeline has you play as the military, though, to show things from their perspective, and while I only played a couple hours of it (it's fun, but going back-to-back gets a bit stale after four or five days), it's a solid DLC with some decent storytelling, and it takes place outside the towns that the base game is set in, so you get some new scenery and battlegrounds.

State of Decay isn't going to win any Game of the Year awards from me, but it is quite a good survival experience. If you just limit the scope to zombie games, I'm still not willing to say it's "one of the best," but it's a DAMN good one that every zombie fan definitely needs to play. That bit of RPG in a sandbox survival skin works far better than I ever would have expected, and it's a treat to play once you get used to some of its quirks and mechanics.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by dsheinem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Paging dsheinem...

:lol:

I think Exhuminator said it best...

Exhuminator wrote:The best gameplay was actually found in the arcade.

A statement like that is about as charitable as I could ever be to that hot mess of a game.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2016 Beaten List
1-50

51. Axiom Verge
52. Otomedius Excellent
53. JUMP Ultimate Stars
54. Dynasty Warriors 3
55. Fire Emblem if: Byakuya (Birthright)
56. Fire Emblem if: Anya (Conquest)
57. Fire Emblem if: Invisible Kingdom (Revelations)

58. Stubbs the Zombie (Xbox)

I play this all the time when I have friends and family over, but I always want to start from the beginning so they can see the story progression and get a proper difficulty curve (because this game gets fairly hard). Finally actually had a friend over long enough to get through the whole thing last week. It'd put it somewhere between Conker's Bad Fur Day and Octodad in terms of how how much I enjoy it as a very odd-ball, weird game that doesn't take itself seriously.

Stubbs is in the Halo engine (which becomes very obvious as soon as you come across a not-Warthog in the 2nd stage), and it plays like it. Other than the fact that Stubbs is pretty slow until you walk for a little while, where then he goes into a kind of run, and the fact that the game is 3rd person and you don't really have guns, the game controls very very much like Halo. The sticky-grenades work almost exactly the same, the co-op also works exactly the same. It controls far better than Conker's Bad Fur Day, which owes to its enjoyment, but I wouldn't say that the writing was nearly clever enough to raise it to Octodad levels of praise for me. The writing is very Duke Nukem (trying far too hard to be adult or edgy for a laugh) for the most part, and even though it's pretty darn funny sometimes (I fucking love the gas station bit), a lot of the lines, especially towards the end, come off really cringe-worthy. But to each their own on the comedy aspect.

Verdict: I'm not sure if I can justify the price for a physical copy, but if you want a fun game to plow through in 3 or 4 hours with a friend, I'd toatally recommend picking up the XBLA version (if it's still up there). Not quite sure it's worth playing through by yourself, but you have a lot of weapons and silly things to do, and the game doesn't outstay its welcome. It's a fun action game on the Xbox, and probably one of the best non-FPS exclusives for the OG Xbox.

59. Mori Mori Slime (GBA)

I have finally completed ALL of the Mori Mori Slime games! As I predicted, the tank battles were the key new feature in the DS game, so this game is all on-foot(?) action stuff, but it has by far the best action parts of any of the Mori Mori Slime games. The bosses are silly and challenging, and you might even die once or twice figuring out their patterns. The game is very forgiving though, if you die. You just get sent back to town, and any resources you collected while you were out are sent back with you, so there's never any wasted effort :)

Being that there's no tank/ship battles, collecting monsters and items via the carts and rafts are far less important in this game than the others. They're largely just completionist cosmetic things back in your main town, as the items let you cosmetically fix up the town, and the monsters just hang around town like they do in the other games. There's no tank for them to be able to crew around in, sadly, but that's not really the game's fault of how good its successors were :P . The only big reason to explore and be vigilant are the fact that, very rarely, you can find life-fruit (right out of Dragon Quest) to extend your health bar, as well as all of the other villager slimes that you have to find to progress the game.

The story is very light-hearted and silly, just like the other games. It's just a little bit of a shame that Mihon and Surami (your Healie friend and little sister) are kidnapped for almost the entire game, because they're some of the best and funniest characters :/.

Verdict: Highly recommended. I have to assume there's an English patch for this game out there somewhere, so I can recommend it to a wider audience, as the GBA game itself is fairly difficult to find online (in my experience). This is a fantastic action game for GBA, and definitely one of my favorite adventure games on the system.
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/16: Diablo III (PC)
1/19: Picross E (3DS DL)
1/23: Baroque (Wii)
2/5: LocoRoco (PSP)
3/31: Picross e2 (3DS DL)
4/7: Stardew Valley (Steam)
4/8: Voices From the Sea (Steam)
4/10: X-Note (Steam)
4/11: To the Moon (Steam)
4/19: Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3)
4/19: Aquapazza: Aquaplus Dream Match (PS3)
6/19: Steins;Gate (PS3)
7/11: Yoshi’s Woolly World (Wii U)
7/13: Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
7/13: Strider 2 (PS1 Classics)
7/16: Planetarian ~The Reverie of a Little Planet~ (Steam)
7/16: Narcissu (Steam)
7/26: Crimzon Clover: World Ignition (GOG)
7/28: LocoRoco 2 (PSP)
7/30: Criminal Girls: Invite Only (Vita)
8/1: Pokemon Art Academy (3DS)
8/5: Gal*Gun: Double Peace (PS4)
8/8: Before the Echo (Steam)
8/9: Ironclad (PC DL)
8/9: Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
8/14: Super Paper Mario (Wii)
8/15: Metal Slug (Steam)
8/17: Metal Slug 2 (Steam)
8/17: Metal Slug X (Steam)
8/18: Metal Slug 3 (Steam)
8/24: Earth Defence Force: Insect Armageddon (PS3)
8/25: The Typing of the Dead: Overkill (Steam)
8/28: Hatsune Miku Project Diva f (Vita)
8/31: Fable: The Lost Chapters (PC)
9/8: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.2 Watanagashi (Steam)
9/28: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (PSP)
10/9: Gone Home (PS4)
10/28: Pony Island (Steam)
11/3: Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
11/4: Life is Strange (PS4)
11/14: Skyrim Special Edition (Steam)

Total: 41 games

A few days ago, I decided to play Skyrim but only focus on the main story quests. When I've played Skyrim in the past, I've just kind of bounced around avoiding most of the main quests, so I was curious on how good those quests were.

Turns out that it wasn't too bad of an idea to avoid them, since most of the main quests ended up being pretty dull compared to many side quests. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the game when I was going through dungeons, sneaking around, and killing enemies with my bow, but a lot of the quests involve a lot of talking to random NPCs. Maybe if what they were talking about was a little more interesting then I wouldn't mind so much, but it's mostly about where to go next or political stuff. It's especially annoying when I have to sit through one of those talking sessions where I can't make the dialogue go faster since the NPCs can talk on the slow side sometimes.

Another thing that I didn't particularly like was the glitches. Yeah I knew they would be there because Bethesda, but the glitches are ran into were pretty annoying for the most part. Getting stuck in terrain and a cutscene not working were the least annoying, as I could easily teleport and reload a save. The two that were incredibly annoying though, was crashing when I exited the game and a really dumb glitch. Both of those took me quite a while to figure out on how to fix, and were very frustrating to deal with.

Even though those negatives were a bit on the large side, I still mostly enjoyed playing Skyrim. If it just consisted of the main quests, then I think I would only find it ok, but many of the side quests are pretty enjoyable from what I remember. I'll probably go back to it to re-do some of those that I've done before and a few of the other good ones, but for now I'll go play something else.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I have to assume there's an English patch for this game out there somewhere

If you're talking about Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest: Shougeki No Shippo Dan, then no, it's still only available in Japanese.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Don't care for Shemnue at all, but the newer Giant Bomb playthrough of it is a piece of art.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I think the right word for Shenmue is "ambitious". The phrase that comes to mind is "reach exceeds grasp".
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Exhuminator wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I have to assume there's an English patch for this game out there somewhere

If you're talking about Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest: Shougeki No Shippo Dan, then no, it's still only available in Japanese.

With the exception of oooone or two parts where you gotta hunt down a specific NPC in town or solve the ninja's puzzles, I think it's still playable even without being able to read at all, if you're good to try a little trial and error at the more "puzzle" (a term I use very lightly) bits.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Can't say I was a big fan of the arcade games in Shenmue myself. Neither Space Harrier or the original Hang-on are games I'm overly fond of.

Am I right in thinking OutRun and Afterburner are in the sequel? At least there's one good arcade game in there then. I mean, Afterburner sucks, but I do love me some OutRun!