Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by bmoc »

1. Radiant Historia
2. Halo: Combat Evolved (Master Chief Collection)
3. Halo 2 (Master Chief Collection)
4. Killer Instinct (Season 1 Story Mode)
5. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
6. Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One)
7. Rayman Legends (Xbox One)
8. Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
9. Killer Instinct (Season 2/S2 Story Mode)
10. Halo 3 (Master Chief Collection)
11. Halo 3 ODST (Master Chief Collection)

I had to take a break from Halo for a while because after completing Halo 2, I was feeling pretty burned out on it. To me, Halo 3 felt pretty much like Halo 2 minus the prerendered cut scenes. It advanced the plot a little, tying up a few loose ends from Halo 2. In my opinion Halo 3 is probably the weakest in the series as far as the campaign goes.

Now ODST, I really enjoyed. Maybe I was just getting tired of the antics of Master Chief and the Arbiter or maybe I am just a sucker for anything with Nathan Fillion in it. Running around New Mombasa looking for my missing teammates and learning what happened to them was much more satisfying than seeing disjointed hallucinations of Cortana for the 100th time. Also I liked the soundtrack better in ODST than any of the previous Halo installments. It was definitely worth the five extra dollars as DLC. The only thing I didn't like about it was the human character models had a several "Uncanny Valley" moments that just didn't look quite right.

ODST has me really looking forward to Halo 5 considering Nathan Fillion's character, Buck, is returning. I maybe purchasing Halo 5 sooner rather than later.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
6/9: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN)
6/11: Tappingo (3DS DL)
6/15: Galaga Legions DX (PSN)
6/22: Eversion (Steam)
6/25: Hatoful Boyfriend (GOG)
6/30: Silent Hill (PS1)
7/1: SteamWorld Dig (Steam)
7/12: Cook, Serve, Delicious! (Steam)
7/13: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
7/14: Retro/Grade (Steam)

Total: 24 games

I'll try and keep these short since I'm really tired ._.

Cook, Serve, Delicious!
It's kind of like a fast paced Cooking Mama with keyboard controls? You're a chef making food for customers, and you make food by pressing certain keys which correspond to the first letter of the ingredient you're adding or the direction that corresponds to certain actions (chopping, filling mug with coffee etc.). You have to do it fast or else customers get mad (obviously) but sometimes this is tricky when the keys make no sense, like "L" to add cabbage. You can change the keys around, but some dishes just have so many ingredients it would be a bit hard to do... Still I really enjoyed it even though ti made my wrists hurt after a while ha. Oh and it also supports controllers but I can't imagine how that would go...

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi
A very well written prologue to this creepy and tense visual novel! It's about a kid who moves into this small, seemingly normal town... but of course it's not normal and people start acting really weird and people start dieing. It kind of sounds generic I guess from how I describe it, but it really isn't... it's not really obvious on who did what and why. It is a bit slow to really kick off and a few times I had trouble figuring out who said what, but other than that I enjoyed it from start to finish. Really can't wait for the other parts.

Retro/Grade
A rhythm game where you are a ship that accidentally destroyed the universe (I think?) and have to put time in reverse and unshoot all the bullets you shot to put everything back in order. It's really different since you have to hit all bullets coming from the right side, but also dodge things coming from the left. I quite like rhythm games so I enjoyed this, but it was very short and I didn't like a few of the tunes (they're all electronicy I guess?). It was cheap too though so... not I'm not really complaining that much ha.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
42. Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy)
43. Gorf (Atari 2600)
44. Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever (Pico)
45. Mickey's Blast Into the Past (Pico)
46. Secret of Mana (SNES)
47. Psycho Soldier (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
48. Genshi-Tou 1930's (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
49. Datsugoku: Prisoners of War (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
50. SAR: Search and Rescue (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)

51. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
52. Tic-Tac-Toe / Shooting Gallery / Doodle / Quadra-Doodle (Channel F)
53. Robot War / Torpedo Alley (Channel F)
54. Pinball Challenge (Channel F)
55. Elevator Action (Xbox - Taito Legends)
56. Elevator Action II (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
57. Altered Beast (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
58. Congo Bongo (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
59. International Soccer (Commodore 64)
60. Out of this World! / Helicopter Rescue! (Odyssey²)
61. Alien Invaders - Plus! (Odyssey²)
62. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600)
63. River Raid (Atari 2600)
64. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
65. Ys II (Famicom)
66. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Turbo CD)
67. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
68. Frogs and Flies (Atari 2600)
69. Ice Climber (NES)
70. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (PlayStation 2)
71. Ghosts 'n Goblins (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
72. Ikari Warriors (Atari 2600)
73. Donkey Kong Junior (Atari 2600)
74. Donkey Kong Junior (ColecoVision)
75. Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
76. Guevara (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
77. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
78. Evolution (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
79. Ys I (GOG.com - Ys I & II Chronicles+)
80. Ys II (GOG.com - Ys I & II Chronicles+)
81. Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (Xbox 360)
82. Evoland (GOG.com)

Evoland is a cute little indie RPG that pays tribute to the RPGs of yore.

The player takes control of two characters whose names sound suspiciously familiar: Clink and Kaeris. The game's gimmick is that (most) treasure chests do not contain actual treasure but instead cause the game to "evolve." See, at Evoland's beginning gameplay is extremely limited. But after opening a lengthy series of chests the world eventually gains color, sound, 3D graphics, Mode 7, pre-rendered backgrounds and much more. Essentially it begins like a 8-bit RPG in progress and ends feeling like a PS1 game. There's a fair amount of humor to be found in the game's progression. For instance there's a FFVII-esque pre-rendered town with loading screens between each section. Said loading can be eliminate by purchasing a "fast DVD player" from the local merchant. The game also features a Diablo-inspired dungeon complete with tons of funny-but-useless loot, like an accessory that grants ".1% ear protection."

Combat is handled in two ways. In dungeons it occurs in real time like The Legend of Zelda, with heart containers representing health. In the overworld a Final Fantasy ATB system is implemented with turn-based combat, HP/MP, and experience points. This keeps things fresh and had me wishing there were actual retro RPGs that featured alternating battle mechanics.

There are some downsides to Evoland. The game's mechanics are far too simple. Weapons and armor are equipped automatically, items can only be used in battle, bombs and arrows are never depleted, and two separate health bars are used in the overworld and dungeons. This makes the game almost feel like an interactive story with some light RPG elements rather than a fully fleshed-out RPG. Additionally - and this is something I rarely complain about - the game is too short! The charming 8-bit graphics featured in the game's opening scene only last for about thirty minutes before they're replaced by 16-bit graphics.... which are replaced by PS1 graphics thirty minutes after that. The airship is used for about 10 seconds. There are only one or two pre-rendered areas. Most of the game's best gimmicks are ephemeral. I'd enjoy this more had it been a 15 hour game with 5 hours in the 8-bit world, 5 in the 16-bit, and 5 in the 32-bit. With that all said, a sequel is in the works and screenshots look promising so far.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

The Tipping Point, on Android. Too bad the game was designed for tablets, cuz I had a hard time on my smartphone (which has a 5 inch screen).

But the game was great. And yes, it's the same game the developer has on his page, though the Android and iOS versions have the final chapter.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Batgirl A Matter of Family

The most obnoxious piece of content I've played in the entire Arkham series.

Just to give you an idea how fun this crap is...

The game glitched at one point preventing my progress in a hostage saving scenario involving a ferris wheel.

The combat is sloppy. I once tried to use the grappling hook on a guy and watch it FUCKING GO THROUGH HIM

Early in this DLC, I died about 15 times in this FUCKING OBNOXIOUS segment where you have to beat up a group of thugs with a timer ticking down. By the time you finish and have about 10 seconds remaining, you have to defuse a bomb using that stupid, obnoxious password, hacking mini game. The game does not give you enough tactile feedback on the dual shock to help you figure out where to hold your analog sticks to crack the code and other than that you're left to try and fucking guess what the stupid goddamn password is. On top of that, Harley is incessantly taunting you and breaking your concentration.

Every time you get get blown up you have to wait for Joker to finish taunting you in those obnoxious game over screens, then wait forever for the fucking game to reload, wait for stupid Batgirl to finish her stupid, fucking conversation with Robin again, and then do the whole stupid fucking fight again before FINALLY getting a chance to try and crack the password again with whatever pitiful time you have left....only to get blow up AGAIN after listening to Harley make fun of you again...

Then you get to enjoy the Game Over screen again with Joker telling you what a fucking loser you are...AGAIN.

Fuck this DLC, FUCK WB GAMES MONTREAL, FUCK ROCKSTEADY, FUCK ARKHAM KNIGHT, FUCK OVERPRICED SEASON PASSES...AND FUCK THE GODDAMN FUCKING BATMOBILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

P.S. I'm not the only one who thinks this is a piece of shit:

http://www.gamerankings.com/xboxone/178 ... index.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/178131- ... index.html
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I really hope you prepurchased the season pass and so you felt obligated to play it because you already owned the content. Otherwise you're just a massive masochist based upon your enjoyment of the rest of the game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

MrPopo wrote:I really hope you prepurchased the season pass and so you felt obligated to play it because you already owned the content. Otherwise you're just a massive masochist based upon your enjoyment of the rest of the game.

The first option

Yeah, I'm a sucker
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ya know Gamerforlife, you rant about how shitty so many modern games are (and I don't disagree). And you claim that the retro scene is the best. Yet when the final turd drops you continue to submit yourself to the bullshit you claim to hate. What gives, man?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ya know Gamerforlife, you rant about how shitty so many modern games are (and I don't disagree). And you claim that the retro scene is the best. Yet when the final turd drops you continue to submit yourself to the bullshit you claim to hate. What gives, man?

I guess it's stubbornness. Maybe it is time for me to get an old CRT television, bring out my older systems and maybe start doing more retro stuff...like Ack with all the SNES stuff he plays. Or try that cool Punisher game I made another thread about.

I used to really like the Batman games though, I just don't get what happened with this one. I wasn't high on Origins...but it was easy to blame that on a new developer. This one got Rocksteady back on though and...ugh. And then they get the Origins team back on for the DLC as another slap in the face.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

You have modernotripleAitis. It's an unfortunate condition one can incur from being exposed to too much overwrought homogenized vapid contemporary gaming. It is curable however. As your not a doctor I advise you to play some old games for a few weeks, preferably free of polygons, and not exceeding the year of 1997 in publication.
Gamerforlife wrote:Maybe it is time for me to get an old CRT television
I used to really like the Batman games though

As your not a doctor here's your prescription:

Your prognosis is good if you can abstain from polygons for a few weeks.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.