Games Beaten 2013

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

Post by ExedExes »

Ack wrote:The 7th Saga...wow, that was an interesting experience. This game is certainly not easy. Make sure your characters are highly leveled, always equipped with the best gear, and are plentiful with the buffs, because it will spell the difference between life or death. This is an RPG where you can permanently screw yourself over by losing your runes to a different character, and the rest of the enemies crawling around aren't exactly pleasant either. It requires strategy, skillful management of your characters, and a reasonable understanding of the combat system to survive. And this game will frustrate you. Oh man, it will frustrate you. Still, I've come out on the other side, with a new notch in my SNES belt.

Hopefully this will convince people to try this game, or to run farther away from it :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ack

Post by Ack »

ExedExes wrote:
Ack wrote:The 7th Saga...wow, that was an interesting experience. This game is certainly not easy. Make sure your characters are highly leveled, always equipped with the best gear, and are plentiful with the buffs, because it will spell the difference between life or death. This is an RPG where you can permanently screw yourself over by losing your runes to a different character, and the rest of the enemies crawling around aren't exactly pleasant either. It requires strategy, skillful management of your characters, and a reasonable understanding of the combat system to survive. And this game will frustrate you. Oh man, it will frustrate you. Still, I've come out on the other side, with a new notch in my SNES belt.

Hopefully this will convince people to try this game, or to run farther away from it :lol:

Put it this way: it will make a man of you.

As a boy, long had I heard the tales of my people on the quest of the 7th Saga. "The apprentice stole the rune while I fought the dragon." "I didn't convert to diamonds and lost 50000 gold to an evil mutant." "They just kept resurrecting each other over and over and over again until they finally killed me." "I built up all my power and defended, but then whiffed wildly and got crushed by an evil B. Night." My people would sit around our campfires long into the night, feeling the chill in the night air as we snuggled into our furs and listened to tales of glory, or of dashed hopes. Many were those who failed or never even made an attempt out of deep cowardice. But my greatest dream was to join those brave hunters in the wild plains, those who managed to best their 7th Saga so they would be allowed to go.

And now, I have come of age. I have taken my 7th Saga and bested it. I am a man, and a proud hunter for my people. I understand the strategic use of turn-switches, of defending before attacking, and of using runes to better myself and weaken my enemies.

Come, if you wish to join me as we few hunters brave the wild and hunt the ancient plains. Come, if you wish to join my tribe not as a boy, but a man. Come and face your 7th Saga, or die trying.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Ack wrote:Put it this way: it will make a man of you.

As a boy, long had I heard the tales of my people on the quest of the 7th Saga. "The apprentice stole the rune while I fought the dragon." "I didn't convert to diamonds and lost 50000 gold to an evil mutant." "They just kept resurrecting each other over and over and over again until they finally killed me." "I built up all my power and defended, but then whiffed wildly and got crushed by an evil B. Night." My people would sit around our campfires long into the night, feeling the chill in the night air as we snuggled into our furs and listened to tales of glory, or of dashed hopes. Many were those who failed or never even made an attempt out of deep cowardice. But my greatest dream was to join those brave hunters in the wild plains, those who managed to best their 7th Saga so they would be allowed to go.

And now, I have come of age. I have taken my 7th Saga and bested it. I am a man, and a proud hunter for my people. I understand the strategic use of turn-switches, of defending before attacking, and of using runes to better myself and weaken my enemies.

Come, if you wish to join me as we few hunters brave the wild and hunt the ancient plains. Come, if you wish to join my tribe not as a boy, but a man. Come and face your 7th Saga, or die trying.

I'm putting this on a t-shirt.

The font is pretty small.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Now all I need to do is find a good price on 7th Saga and I can attempt being a man like Ack.
raztat
128-bit

Post by raztat »

Xcom last week and shining force this week.
Ack

Post by Ack »

raztat wrote:Xcom last week and shining force this week.

Oh wow, hey raz! It's been like...three years since you last were around!
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Company of Heroes PC
Super Mario 3D Land 3DS
Far Cry 3 PC
Mega Man 2 3DS
Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS
Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U WiiU
Mario Kart 7 3DS
Lego City: Undercover WiiU
Injustice: Gods Among Us WiiU
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon 3DS
Star Fox 64 3D 3DS
Uncharted: Golden Abyss Vita
Wipeout 2048 Vita

Dirt 3 PC

I really enjoyed Dirt 3 but there are several things that annoyed me, to the point of nearly quitting. First, the voice acting is incredibly cringe-inducing. I haven't heard voice acting so bad in a large scale release since Resident Evil. The problem is, it's bad in all the wrong ways. While Resident Evil is quotable, the voices they have here are just plain annoying. Not to mention they never seem to shut up, and never seem to realize I don't want to "post that on YouTube". The emphasis on hooning and the whole dude-bro atmosphere was incredibly obnoxious as well. While there is technically nothing wrong with that, I found it irritating especially considering the type of people the original Dirt and CMR games were aimed at. The voices though! :evil: It would all be fine if I didn't have to listen to lines and lines of 90s-esque radical speech every time I did something! Also they somehow made the graphics worse than the original Dirt. It makes no sense to me why it does or should, but it does. On the plus side, it runs like melted butter.

This all said. It was still Dirt at it's core. The gameplay still as addicting as ever. The focus is less on just rally this time around, which didn't bug me too much, since it can be argued the original Dirt just didn't offer a whole lot of variety. The game was far too easy though, even on the hardest of settings. So while I enjoyed my time and it was definitely worth the paltry $3 I paid for it, I can't help but feel I would have been really disappointed had I paid full price, and had I been expecting something more along the lines of the older games.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
NihonRobot
24-bit

Post by NihonRobot »

1. Liberation Maiden (3DS) - 1/6
2. Dead Space (360) - 1/11
3. Anarchy Reigns (360) - 1/13
4. Dead Space 2 (360) - 1/17
5. Dead Space 2: Severed DLC (360) - 1/17
6. DmC Devil May Cry (360) - 1/22
7. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3) - 2/5
8. CoD of Duty (Web) - 2/7
9. Dragon's Dogma (360) - 2/12
10. Medal of Honor: Warfighter (360) - 2/13
11. Dead Space 3 (360) - 2/18
12. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (360) - 3/5
13. Sonic the Fighters (XBLA) - 3/10
14. Tomb Raider (360) - 3/12
15. Ridiculous Fishing (iOS) - 3/17
16. Bioshock Infinite (Steam) - 4/7
17. Trials Evolution (XBLA) - 4/9
18. Bit.Trip Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (XBLA) - 4/15
19. Injustice: Gods Among Us (360) - 4/16
20. BattleBlock Theater (XBLA) - 4/21
21. Guacamelee! (Vita) - 4/21
22. Surgeon Simulator 2013 (Steam) - 5/3
23. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (XBLA) - 5/4
24. Thomas Was Alone (Vita) - 5/11
25. The Starship Damrey (3DS) - 5/19
26. Stuntman: Ignition (360) - 5/22
27. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (360) - 5/26
28. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (Steam) - 5/31
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2013
Twisted Metal - PS1
Twisted Metal 2 - PS1
Twisted Metal III - PS1
Twisted Metal 4 - PS1
Screaming Mad George's Paranoiascape - PS1
N.O.V.A. - PSP
Jetpack Joyride - Vita
Devil May Cry (2013) - 360
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Fighting Masters - Genesis
Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii
Cruis'n - Wii
Foosball 2012 - Vita
Electronic Table Soccer! - Odyssey2
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -PS3
Asura's Wrath - PS3
Showdown in 2100 A.D. - Odyssey2
CoD of Duty - PC
Little Big Planet Karting - PS3
Gattling Gears - PS3
Monster Maulers - Arcade (MAME)
Angry Birds Rio - iOS
The Last Story - Wii
Retro/Grade - PS3
Sonic Fighters - 360
Spec Ops: The Line - PS3
God of War: Ascension - PS3
Bioshock Infinite - PS3
Half-Life: Source - PC
Guacamelee - Vita
Tekken 6 - PSP
Half-Life: Blue Shift - PC
Power Stone - PSP
Power Stone 2 - PSP
Torchlight - PC
Torchlight II - PC
Gorgar (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Metro: Last Light - 360 *new*

Total: 38

Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010

This game lives up to the hype and offers one of the strongest single player FPS experiences this generation. The world is extremely atmospheric and detailed, the pacing is well done, and the combat feels crisp and responsive. I think I actually prefer some of the rougher edges in the first Metro game, but this one retains that same level of tense gameplay that borders on survival horror. Not to be missed by even casual fans of the genre.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

1. Batman Genesis
2. Golden Axe Sega CD
3. Streets if Rage Sega CD (I'm keeping the typo)
4. Streets of Rage 2 Genesis
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 NES
6. TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan Gameboy
7. TMNT 2 The Arcade Game NES
8. TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis
9. Call of Duty Black Ops 360
10. Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis
11. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis
12. Sonic CD Sega CD
13. Kung-Fu NES
14. Mega Man 2 NES
15. Out of This World SNES
16. Flashback SNES
17. Altered Beast Genesis
18. Pit-Fighter Genesis
19. Aladdin Genesis
20. Aladdin SNES
21. Ghosts n' Goblins NES, twice
22. Contra NES
23. Bionic Commando NES
24. Strider NES
25. Batman NES
26. Duck Tales NES
27. Ninja Gaiden NES x 2
28. Super Mario Bros. 3 NES
29. Lakers Vs. Celtics and the NBA Playoffs Genesis
30. Jackal NES
31. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! NES
32. Bayou Billy NES
33. Skate or Die NES
34. Captain Skyhawk NES
35. Super Mario Bros. NES
36. Friday The 13th NES
37. Totally Rad NES
38. Shatterhand NES
39. Twisted Metal Black PS2

40. Tekken 3 Bleamcast
41. Tekken Tag Tournament PS2
42. Tekken 4 PS2
43. Tekken 5 PS2
44. Tekken 6 360
45. Pro Wrestling NES
46. Tecmo Wrestling NES
47. Tag Team Wrestling NES
48. Marvel's Ultimate Alliance 2 360
49. Jurassic Park Genesis
50. Excitebike NES
51. Willy Beamish Sega CD
52. Sewer Shark Sega CD
53. Jurassic Park Sega CD
54. Star Wars Rebel Assault Sega CD *new*
55. NHL '94 Sega CD *new*
56. Spider-Man vs. Kingpin Sega CD *new*

Besides the stormtrooper level, I love everything about Rebel Assualt. The sound quality could have used a bit more fine tuning, but that's a minor gripe. When I first got the game (on its release) I struggled with the second level, the overhead one, because I couldn't tell what was going on due to the grainy graphics and gave up. Around a month later I played it again, and have played it every year since. Far from perfect, but a game I love.

The Blackhawks hoisted the Cup. Hopefully they'll do the same in real life this year.

Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin is Super 90's Cheese. Did the same guy play every guitar solo for every Sega CD game while using the same guitar? I swear the Sega CD must have the biggest library of games containing hair band sounding guitar solos.

Getting back to the game, it's only for the Spider-Man enthusiast. It's just not that good. Doesn't stop it from being fun, but as a game it's just not solid. But I did laugh at some point during every cut scene, and the ending isn't half bad.