Shooter shopping...

2D Shooters Invade
gennss
128-bit

Shooter shopping...

Post by gennss »

I'm looking for something a long the lines of mars matrix. looking for something just as manic and fast paced, any suggestions?
--
Gennss
--
woodypop

Re: Shooter shopping...

Post by woodypop »

Do you have any particular system in mind? Domestic or import?

For the US Dreamcast, off the top of my head I'd say GigaWing and GigaWing 2. In a somewhat different vein, Gunbird 2.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

Sadly, there aren't many games like Mars Matrix. As mentioned, the GigaWing games are good, they have the reflect-shot attack, and they are made by Takumi as well.

As you probably know, if you want the timed chaining from MM, then your best bet is DoDonPachi (but I'm sure you've played this!).
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

Doctor Fugue wrote:Sadly, there aren't many games like Mars Matrix. As mentioned, the GigaWing games are good, they have the reflect-shot attack, and they are made by Takumi as well.

As you probably know, if you want the timed chaining from MM, then your best bet is DoDonPachi (but I'm sure you've played this!).

Actually I haven't, I'm considering getting it. I have been looking at some of the videos for jp saturn shmups and its the one that has caught my attention most. Funny thing is up until recently i hated mars matrix.

I do have a jp dreamcast and a jp saturn so those systems are perfect for me to play shmups on.
--
Gennss
--
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

Giga Wing 2 has the reflect system, but the first one doesn't. Does it? They are both great choices as well. Use your bombs instead of the reflect. Very fun in 2 player mode. No sweet sword though. Less strategic in your level navigation that mars matrix IMO.

Definately pick up DoDonpachi for Saturn. Awesome game! Similar bullet patterns, but uniquie as well. Great weapons and boss fights.

Soukyugurentai is a must also on the Saturn. Great lock on system similar to Gallactic attack (Layer Section in JP), and the Raystorm/Ray Crisis series(good games as well). Very fun and challenging game.

I would highly recomend Trigger Heart Excelica on DC. Instead of an absorb it's got a teather system you can latch onto enemies and use them to absorb your bullets then toss em at the incoming enemies. AWESOME! Also you can use it to focus all your shots at one target. Best DC shmup IMO.

Grindstormer on Genesis is an early bullet-hell type game. Some people hate it, but i think its a good 16 bit representation of the genre.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

Soukyugurentai is definitely a great choice for something "sort of" close to MM.

And yes, buy DoDonPachi immediately!!! (If you must, try it on MAME first, just to be sure you will like it)

ott0bot wrote:Giga Wing 2 has the reflect system, but the first one doesn't. Does it?

Sorry to contradict you, but it does. :P :D
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

really? the videos i saw of Soukyugurentai seem slow and not so bullethellish. Triggerheart i have and i'm still playing.. over and over... lol
--
Gennss
--
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

gennss wrote:really? the videos i saw of Soukyugurentai seem slow and not so bullethellish. Triggerheart i have and i'm still playing.. over and over... lol

I never wathced a video of it before so I watched a video on youtube to compare. I can see why you you'd say it's slower that MM. Trust me, it doesn't feel slow while your playing it. Your shooting and scanning the ground for possible enemies that you have to lock on to, and trying to collect power ups at the same time. Maybe the first level or so, but things pick up pretty quick. You have to get the lock on down pretty quick or you'll be toast after level 3.
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

well apparently the guy locks and nukes everything before they can shoot. hence why i thought it wasn't a bullet-hell game.
--
Gennss
--