1942: Joint Strike release date! PSN, XBLA

2D Shooters Invade
ZenLogikos
128-bit

1942: Joint Strike release date! PSN, XBLA

Post by ZenLogikos »

Just announced. July 23(XBLA), July 24(PSN)

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2008/07/1942_ ... g_rele.php

Looks like I'll only have a couple weeks to enjoy Schizoid before moving on to 1942...
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

How's Schizoid?
ZenLogikos
128-bit

Post by ZenLogikos »

It's pretty good. The single player became boring after about an hour (about level 49/120). I tried uberschizoid (controlling both characters with one controller) and it's uniquely challenging. Felt like my brain was going to break. As I was exiting the game, it recommended I try coop (which I knew beforehand was the meat of the game). I was going to wait for some friends to try it out, but was interested to see what it was like. Coop was definitely the best. We didn't have mics, which is a must to progress far. I'll be playing with a friend who already bought it, but if any racketboy comrades are interested, let me know. The music is disappointing. I was expecting some new-wave-y, surreal shit, but if I recall, it's more rock-like.

I imagine most people though might pass on this game...at least until it drops to $5. It's very simple, so I think it might be priced a bit high. $5 like Geometry Wars seems like a better fit. I've heard nothing in regards to it yet, but I'm sure this title will receive DLC. They could make plenty more bucks there. I blew through the levels in N+, and this game won't take long either. More levels please!
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

I'm looking forward to 1942, I just hope it plays well...I'm not actually liking what I've seen in videos so far. At least it won't be as bad as the raping that the art department of Commando 3 gave to that awesome series.

I tried the demo of Schizoid, co-op looks like it would be a blast but I've got to spend what little time I have on Robotron.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
ZenLogikos
128-bit

Post by ZenLogikos »

Doctor Fugue wrote:I'm looking forward to 1942, I just hope it plays well...I'm not actually liking what I've seen in videos so far. At least it won't be as bad as the raping that the art department of Commando 3 gave to that awesome series.

What I've seen looks ok, but the series has always been fairly simple. I'll buy it regardless at $10 or less. Commando 3...lol. I didn't hate what they did with it...but it was a rush job overall. The guns and bullet effects were particularly weak. Maybe you do have reason to worry then, as Backbone made Commando 3, and they're making 1942.

Doctor Fugue wrote:I tried the demo of Schizoid, co-op looks like it would be a blast but I've got to spend what little time I have on Robotron.

Can't fault you for that. Robotron is king. The mix of Robotron, Pacman, and Ikaruga makes Schizoid worthy of my time however.
black flag nc

Post by black flag nc »

Sweet. I should finally have a 360 before too long and this one plus Raiden IV should satisfy my shmup addiction for a while.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

If anybody has the full version of 1942 yet, let us know how it is. How long is it? Gameplay modes? Multiplayer online works okay?

I'm saving my points for other games, but maybe 1942 will be pure awesome-ness.

Edit: Geez, I just played the demo. Forgive me if I act a little immature, but it sucks...BIG TIME. I hated everything. Enemy formations, level pacing, hit detection, music, difficulty level...I guess I'm in a bad mood. Seriously, go play The Loop Master and then tell me this game is just as good...yeah right. Honestly, why does Capcom (among other companies) leave important franchises to developers that don't have a deep understanding of the games? Would Microsoft let Treasure make the next Flight Simulator (might be interesting, I suppose)?

PLEASE tell me the full game is better.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
ZenLogikos
128-bit

Post by ZenLogikos »

I think you've got your expectations set too high for XBLA titles...or maybe I've set mine too low. Anyway, I find 1942 mildly entertaining. The full game is better if only because of coop, but even that needs some ironing out. Based on your complaints though, I don't think you'd like the full version any better.

As a shmup fan, I'm willing to pay $40-$50 for retail games (Ikaruga, Einhander, etc) and even more for imports, so when a shmup hits XBLA for $10, unless it's broken, it seems like a good deal.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

I am indeed a complete hard-ass when it comes to judging the quality of shooters, and especially when they try to update an old franchise...an extremely difficult task. I would probably enjoy it more if it wasn't trying to be a 1942 game.

You're right that 10 bucks is a good deal for even a mediocre shooter. But if I have the choice between buying 20 games like this for 200 dollars or 1 truly great shooter PCB for the same price, I would take the expensive game every time.

On another note, I've heard there are problems with online play in this game. Is it really bad, or just occasionally?
ZenLogikos
128-bit

Post by ZenLogikos »

Doctor Fugue wrote:especially when they try to update an old franchise...

Good point.

Doctor Fugue wrote:On another note, I've heard there are problems with online play in this game. Is it really bad, or just occasionally?

I haven't gotten to play enough coop to definitively answer, except to say that coop improves the experience overall with this game. I'll post again when I've played a little more.