September Together Retro Poll: Let's Vote!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

September 2020 TR: What's your choice?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Crossover Games
11%
Konami & Capcom Off Action
33%
Board Game Games & Card Game Games
6%
Loser Handhelds
50%

Total votes: 18

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

September Together Retro Poll: Let's Vote!

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Hi, everyone! Super excited to be running my own TR month after being a part of the site for so long :D . Pierrot originally had this month, but he's MIA at the moment, so Pidge has this month to provide you with options!

Crossover Games

Everyone loves a good crossover! Characters from one universe crossing over to another to have fun, wreak havoc, or both! This category is all about games where characters from one media franchise interact with those of another. Big media crossovers like Smash Bros are the obvious picks, but games that bring over elements from various entries in the same series are totally okay too, like Final Fantasy Dissidia.

Possible Entries:
- Kart Racers (it was easier to just put this as a whole recommendation since there are so many that are crossovers XP)
- Fighting Games & Smash Bros-clones
- Fortune Street Series
- Namco X Capcom

Konami & Capcom Off Action

Konami and Capcom were the kings of 8-bit and 16-bit action games, sure, but they also had tons of games that weren't action games, especially in the 5th console generation and beyond. This category is about looking at the forays into non-action titles by two publishers/developers best known for their high energy games.

Possible Entries:
- Vandal Hearts
- Breath of Fire Series
- Suikoden Series
- Shadow of Memories
- Ace Attorney Series

Board Game Games & Card Game Games

Board games and card games significantly pre-date video games, obvoiusly, which is why it interests me so much when we get video games centered around their own card or board games. And I don't mean like Monopoly on the Genesis. I mean something like Capcom Vs. SNK: Card Fighters Clash: a card or board game made entirely to be played in a video game. There are a really weird amount of these (there's even a Tekken one on Wonderswan and a Mega Man one on Famicom), and it's always so cool to me how they manage to up the presentation and mechanics for use in games. It doesn't necessarily have to be something entirely unique to a video game (Pokemon TCG would be perfectly acceptable), and really anything that isn't just a virtual version of a real board game is eligible here.

Possible Entries:
- Pokemon TCG series
- Yu-Gi-Oh! series
- Fortune Street series
- Card Fighters series
- Blood Bowl series

Loser Handhelds

Nintendo has always been the king of the handheld gaming market, and Sony gave them a good run for their money at several points. But what about the wannabee GameBoy pretenders of which there were so many? Just what do their libraries hold? This category is all about looking at the losers of the handheld gaming war and seeing what gems they had in store (or, alternatively, just why they failed as hard as they did :lol: )

Possible Entries:
- Wonderswan games
- Neo Geo Pocket games
- Lynx games
- Game Gear games

---------------

This poll will run until about noon on the 29th Tokyo Time, so that's a little before midnight EST. Happy voting :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: September Together Retro Poll: Let's Vote!

Post by Nemoide »

I've been on a Game Gear kick lately so loser handhelds appeals to me. There are a lot of gems on that system, some of which only got released in Japan. The worst part of playing Game Gear is how bad the screen looks compared to what we're used to from modern handhelds (which is true of most 90s handhelds), which is a big reason why I'm excited to get the Analogue Pocket next year.
I also recently bought a couple Lynx games in anticipation of the Analogue Pocket's cartridge adapter, but since I don't actually have a Lynx I'll just be keeping those on the shelf for the time being.

My girlfriend got a Wonderswan not too long ago, but hasn't really explored it too deeply yet: she found that a lot of games aren't easy to play without a functional knowledge of Japanese or a flash cart.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Voted. I’ll be happy with any of these, though.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

I'm kinda confused on the board game category... Isn't it contradictory to include Yu-gi-oh/Pokemon TCG (real card games) but exclude Monopoly (and the like)? I'm assuming this category is more of a Mario Party/Fortune Street type selection, am I right?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

opa wrote:I'm kinda confused on the board game category... Isn't it contradictory to include Yu-gi-oh/Pokemon TCG (real card games) but exclude Monopoly (and the like)? I'm assuming this category is more of a Mario Party/Fortune Street type selection, am I right?

That's a fair bit of confusion. I didn't word it terribly clearly ^^;
It's more about games that are more than literally just a virtual version of the game with no extra fixings. A digital version of Monopoly would (presumably, at least) JUST be the game, while games like Pokemon TCG have stories and lite RPG elements tacked on. I hope that clarifies things? ^^;
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

Yep, makes sense now.
Just don't know what to vote for yet. :lol:
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

If you play SVC: Card Fighter's Clash on the NGPC you can kill three birds with one stone.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm a bit of a loser myself so I chose the last one.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Only a couple more days to vote! It looks like Loser Handhelds just might run away with it all~
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

The losers win!

I'll try and have a thread up by the start of next month. Thanks so much for voting, everyone :D