Where to buy a good quality Megadrive 2 RCA Cable?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
msimplay
64-bit

Where to buy a good quality Megadrive 2 RCA Cable?

Post by msimplay »

I have my 32x / Megadrive / Mega CD combo set up but I think the cable is faulty.
Anybody where I can purchase a good quality Megadrive 2 Composite cable from?

Thanks
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Where to buy a good quality Megadrive 2 RCA Cable?

Post by stickem »

Most of of my cables for my systems, I got from https://retrogamingcables.co.uk/. Good quality and customer service.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

stickem wrote:Most of of my cables for my systems, I got from https://retrogamingcables.co.uk/. Good quality and customer service.

Thanks but they don't have the cable I'm looking for.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Oh ok, sounded by the description you needed megadrive composite cables. You must be looking for the megadrive to 32x or something then.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

stickem wrote:Oh ok, sounded by the description you needed megadrive composite cables. You must be looking for the megadrive to 32x or something then.

Just a basic Megadrive 2 composite cable.
There's loads of generic ones on Ebay but quality can't vouched for

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4226962563
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Gotcha , i seen they had model 1 composite and assumed they had model 2 as well.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

No one is really making "quality" composite cables. You'll see RGB and YPbPr cables with a focus on quality, but no one is putting that effort into composite. Your only hope will be "generic" ones which can be a crap shoot.

If you know how to solder, or have a buddy that can, you could fairly easily make your own cable and then the quality would be whatever you want. The mini-DIN plug that the Genesis uses is a standard off-the-shelf part. You could buy a quality composite AV cable, then cut one end off and solder on the mini-DIN plug. Or, if you really wanted to, you could source RCA plugs and shielded cable and make the whole thing from scratch.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

Ziggy587 wrote:No one is really making "quality" composite cables. You'll see RGB and YPbPr cables with a focus on quality, but no one is putting that effort into composite. Your only hope will be "generic" ones which can be a crap shoot.

If you know how to solder, or have a buddy that can, you could fairly easily make your own cable and then the quality would be whatever you want. The mini-DIN plug that the Genesis uses is a standard off-the-shelf part. You could buy a quality composite AV cable, then cut one end off and solder on the mini-DIN plug. Or, if you really wanted to, you could source RCA plugs and shielded cable and make the whole thing from scratch.

Looks that way but were there no official composite cables?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

There were official composite cables, sure, but it seems like first party AV cables from the 90's aren't easy to come by today. Usually when you do find them, they're new old stock. Also, annoying, Sega made mono composite cables for the model 2 Genesis. I don't know if they ever made stereo composite cables for the model 2, I've only ever seen the mono ones.
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

Ziggy587 wrote:There were official composite cables, sure, but it seems like first party AV cables from the 90's aren't easy to come by today. Usually when you do find them, they're new old stock. Also, annoying, Sega made mono composite cables for the model 2 Genesis. I don't know if they ever made stereo composite cables for the model 2, I've only ever seen the mono ones.

Mono ones will do as I connect the stereo av on the Megadrive 1 via front headphones port