24%
Falcom : [Kiya && Hashimoto; !Faxanadu]
18%

Total votes: 51

pierrot
Next-Gen

January "Together Retro' 2 - The Retro-ening Again" Poll

Post by pierrot »

That's "Together Retro (prime) 2--," yeah, it's fine, I don't think it'll stick either.

However, it is upon us! I ended up not really having much time this weekend, or this week, but I'm gonna try to cram this poll in here, and "patiently" await the results. They better be good.

So, I'm providing five (!) whole options for telling the cold, wind, and snow to go F-- itself, this January, and those options are:

Games that start with “Shenmue-“

You know it, you love it: It's Shenmue! What better way to kick off the release year (potentially) of Shenmue III, than by playing these crowning jewels of the Dreamcast, and gaming. Now ported to modern systems for your convenience.
    Shenmue
    Shenmue II

Konami Loves Genesis/Mega Drive

With the release of Sunset Riders, in 1992, Konami kicked off a short but sweet love affair with the Genesis that spawned such bountiful fruit as to be legendary. Let us recount that midsummer night's dream together.
    Sunset Riders
    TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
    Lethal Enforcers
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    TMNT: Tournament Fighters
    Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    Animaniacs
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters
    Sparkster
    Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars
    Internation Superstar Soccer Deluxe

JRPGs for Lovers* +1

You can't truly receive da pawa' in an RPG, if it isn't a +1, and there's no better +1 than Monster World IV. So have at it, with one of these finest possible examples of JRPGs on the PS1 and PS2, then chase it with a nice romp through Monster World.
    Suikoden
    Suikoden II
    Suikoden III
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
    Chrono Cross
    Legend of Mana
    Threads of Fate
    Dragon Quest V
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Linda Cube

+ Monster World IV

Capcom Loves Dreamcast

Hard to imagine a more lovely couple than Capcom and the Dreamcast. Easily the largest group of games in any of these categories, and there's more hair-straightening, finger-blistering action here than you can shake an arcade stick at.
    Biohazard Code: Veronica Kanzenban
    Bounty Hunter Sara: Holy Mountain no Teiou
    Cannon Spike
    CvS: Millennium Fight 2000 / Pro
    CvS 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001
    Dino Crisis
    El Dorado Gate Volume 1-7
    Gaia Master Kessen! - Seikiou Densetsu
    Giga Wing
    Giga Wing 2
    Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
    JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
    Mars Matrix
    Marvel vs Capcom
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon DX
    Netto De Tennis
    Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein
    Power Stone
    Power Stone 2
    Project Justice
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    Spawn: In the Demon’s Hand
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Street Fighter III: Double Impact
    Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
    Super Puzzle Fighter II X
    Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge
    Taisen Net Gimmick Capcom & Psikyo All Stars
    Tech Romancer
    Vampire Chronicles

Falcom : [Kiya && Hashimoto; !Faxanadu]

Falcom's Dragon Slayer series is a hallmark of the golden era of Japanese PCs, and while their slugger, Kiya, was clearing out the bases, Falcom had another solid hitter in Hashimoto, with his Ys series. So let's play the game's that built Falcom, while its two golden-boys were still under the same roof. (Faxanadu is not relevant. No Faxanadu.)
    Dragon Slayer
    Xanadu (Dragon Slayer II)
    Romancia (Dragon Slayer III)
    Dra-Slay Family (Dragon Slayer IV, aka, “Legacy of the Wizard”)
    Sorcerian (Dragon Slayer V)
    Dragon Slayer VI: The Legend of Heroes
    Azteca
    Azteca II
    Ys
    Ys II
    Ys III
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: January "Together Retro' 2 - The Retro-ening Again" Poll

Post by Markies »

I went with the two similar categories.

"Konami Loves Genesis/Mega Drive" because it gives me incentive to beat Contra: Hard Corps. Or, at least try to beat Contra: Hard Corps.

"Capcom Loves Dreamcast" because I have Power Stone 2 to beat.

I also wouldn't mind JRPG for Lovers as well. That is a favorite topic of mine and would love to hear some others thoughts.

Love the more specific categories as well. Not all five categories need to be super broad. One can be very specific just to give people some different choices.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Markies wrote:I also wouldn't mind JRPG for Lovers as well. That is a favorite topic of mine and would love to hear some others thoughts.

To be honest, I'm not sure I understand that category. I thought at first it was maybe about RPG's with romancing, but then there's Monster World IV in the mix and I don't get the connection exactly. Even if I don't understand what the category is, there's some intriguing suggestions there like DQ8 and BOF so I may still go for that one.

At any rate, I haven't voted yet as I'm still thinking it over. There's some solid options for sure.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Vote cast! Love the wild topics.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

noiseredux wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure I understand that category. I thought at first it was maybe about RPG's with romancing, but then there's Monster World IV in the mix and I don't get the connection exactly. Even if I don't understand what the category is, there's some intriguing suggestions there like DQ8 and BOF so I may still go for that one.

I wouldn't think too hard about it. It's a little bit of a potpourri category of RPGs I love, and demand receive more attention, but limited to the PS1/PS2, plus a game I wanted to feature somewhere, but couldn't without railroading it into a mostly unrelated category. The title is sort of a misnomer. My idea for it, though, is essentially to have everyone get warmed up in a nice sauna/hot-tub of one of the RPGs on the list, then run blithely and nakedly into the brisk snowbank of Monster World IV, for that extra special sensation. That wouldn't necessarily be a requirement, although I would definitely be disappointed in anyone who didn't follow that recipe.

So, I knew going into this that Shenmue was pretty unlikely to win, but last I checked there were zero votes for it--. Calling all Shenmue fans: Please report for duty.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

All I'm going to say is the Ultraman category last vote did better than Shenmue.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

MrPopo wrote:All I'm going to say is the Ultraman category last vote did better than Shenmue.

I think there was a serious case of voter fraud. I don't know how Ultraman could have lost.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I voted Shenmue and Capcom. Hard to choose between Capcom and Konami, but I've beaten nearly every game on the latter list.

Great options though.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

CFFJR wrote:I voted Shenmue and Capcom. Hard to choose between Capcom and Konami, but I've beaten nearly every game on the latter list.

Great options though.

Same here. Wish shenmue got more love for its brilliance. We all laud red dead redemption 2 for its attention to detail, slow pace emphasis on realism, but deride shenmue for the same reasons. Don't get it.

Also Capcom games on the dreamcast... Best time ever.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I voted solely for Konami on Mega Drive here, I have a date with Castlevania The New Generation to organise.

I think I'd be happy enough with the rest of the options, but I'm half way through Shenmue 2 already and was hoping to finish it before January, and I'd be playing one of the more recent versions of Ys for the Falcom category. Capcom on Dreamcast is fine (I'll buy Giga Wing) but I don't actually have anything that fits it right now and the last thing I need to do after Christmas is buy MORE new games :lol: