Dreamcast makes Dreams come true even after 18 years

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Segata
Next-Gen

Dreamcast makes Dreams come true even after 18 years

Post by Segata »

This will mean little to probably anyone here. I don't even know if I can word this to understand what was in my head back then. Like most here I played my share of games and kept up with gaming magazines in the 90s. Gaming as we know was still in a era of rapid growth. We went from 2D to 3D to besting Arcade games in a short period of time. I remember going into a Media Play (defunct stores now) in 1998. A friend who worked there said he heard about a new console that was going to come out from SEGA. A system with graphics so amazing they could in real time match the game Myst. I did not have a PC then outside of a 286 from 1985 so I didn't play many 90s PC games outside of a friends place. My mind was surely blown.

I liked a little series called StarFox from Nintendo. I really loved StarFox 64. In 1998 like many picked up my monthly issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly. My hype was already soaring for Dreamcast. My hype could not and still cannot be contained. Then I saw this article. (My actual scan of my issue..scan is from 2003)

Now Dreamcast in it's games to the consoles aesthetics looked so sleek and so futuristic right in that late 90s design. When All electronics tried to go for something unique sleek and white or colorful. Before that electronics were beige,black or wood grain and rather boring to look at. Dreamcast felt like the future like no other system has before in my eyes at that time. Geist Force with it's amazing graphics and slick UI completed the look for me. It took me out of the crappy cluttered house I lived in and imagined something nice to match the DC. To this day even tho I live in a nice apt,I still get the feels thinking about seeing the DC and Geist Force.

Of course when I got a DC I kept looking for the game but eventually realized it was cancelled. I was so bummed out that every time on a gaming forum about cancelled games you want,I always pulled out that scan. In 2010 Assembler games (RIP) said they got the rom and were putting together the game as best they could then printing some discs with cover art and everything and selling them for 50 bucks. Again I was bummed out..for more reasons than not getting GF. You see I was dying. I mean actually dying. I was in a tough situation where I could not afford a hospital but was not poor enough to get treatment at a free clinic. I had no idea what was wrong but I knew I was dying. So 50 bucks may as well been 5000 dollars when I was often below the 0 mark in my bank account and this was with a job. Now I did finally get help and now disabled for life but that's a story for another day.

I thought that was it. Never going to be able to get the game. In 2014 I made a video on my channel My Lost Treasure. Months later a guy said he would send me a copy. I was so ecstatic! We even made Skype call showed me the copy. Well 2 years gone by and tried to contact him and nothing. So I got trolled. In 2016 I finally gave in burned a ISO made a video My found Treasure and even tho I finally played it after 17 years. It still did not feel right.

That finally brings me to last night. I was browsing Ebay and what do I see. Ok so maybe not the Assembler games package but still professionally done. A price I can afford. Even if the game is incomplete. I finally have what has eluded me for almost 20 years.

Last night I bought this and feel after 18 years can finally put an end to this chapter as a gamer.
Last edited by Segata on Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast makes Dreams come ture even after 18 years

Post by Tanooki »

Wow you're in for a treat. I know this guy from a purchase and some pre-purchase ebay chit chat. This guy does like the best quality by far on there. He's got some insanely high DP scans (when applies) of the original case art, manual cover art, and also the inking put to the top of the discs too.

I had him make me Rez, Propeller Arena, and also a Capcom FIghting Collection disc and the work was stunning. Rez at least had a released version to compare to with imagery online and he nails it like 1:1 or almost indistinguishably damn near it. This includes the disc art, could swear he's using the same machine Sega did to ink their stuff as it's not some dumb stick or silk screen melted on label either. The stuff is burned to industry professional level quality discs, not the crap you buy in bundles at your local Best Buy or via Amazon but master level stuff. If it didn't lack the inner ring with the SEGA Enterprises lingo in there you wouldn't know.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Tanooki wrote:If it didn't lack the inner ring with the SEGA Enterprises lingo in there you wouldn't know.

I get really iffy about attempts to make near-perfect reproductions. What if those get out on the open market and people think they are real? There need to be clear markings to indicate that the item is not an original, IMO.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

marurun wrote:
Tanooki wrote:If it didn't lack the inner ring with the SEGA Enterprises lingo in there you wouldn't know.

I get really iffy about attempts to make near-perfect reproductions. What if those get out on the open market and people think they are real? There need to be clear markings to indicate that the item is not an original, IMO.

Not seen any games from this seller that are repros. Mainly home brews.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Segata wrote:Not seen any games from this seller that are repros. Mainly home brews.

Tanooki said he had him make a Rez for him. That was a released game. I was responding to that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

marurun wrote:
Segata wrote:Not seen any games from this seller that are repros. Mainly home brews.

Tanooki said he had him make a Rez for him. That was a released game. I was responding to that.

How doe she know who I bought it from? I never said who.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Segata wrote:
marurun wrote:Tanooki said he had him make a Rez for him. That was a released game. I was responding to that.

How doe she know who I bought it from? I never said who.

Hell if I know. Ask him.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast makes Dreams come true even after 18 years

Post by Jagosaurus »

I recognize the counter top in that pic. It is the same seller we discussed in another thread within the past few months & I voiced the same concerns. Is he printing manuals or just cover art?

Here's one of his listings, go check out his other items:
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182554838544

I don't mind an unreleased game pressed, but wth does "nearly new" mean? That's misleading.

At one time he did have a few rare DC titles reprinted such as Rez, and maybe Skies of Arcadia. If anyone listens to the CU Podcast, he made scum bag seller of the week bc of this.

Again, I don't mind a game that never made it out. That's cool from a preservation point of view. The listing needs to clearly state it though versus "nearly new"...

I'm actually not ok with homebrew reprints unless approved by devs. Do you think he has permission by the creator of Cave Story to make money off their complete game? Just bc a title can be DLed for free, doesn't mean you can make money off it. Those are 2 different things.

Ebay might have told him to stop the repros of retail releases. I've seen folks kicked off Etsy for this. They are considered counterfeits and can re-enter the market, advertised as real.

Edit: Didn't mean to rain on OPs story. Happy you got a game that means a lot to you.

We're discussing a different but related topic, which is I can't get behind this seller.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I have a similar counter top. :lol:

Also just the cover art. No manuals from I have seen.I might get the Xmen Arcade one simply because Disney took it off XBL.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Segata wrote:I have a similar counter top. :lol:

Also just the cover art. No manuals from I have seen.I might get the Xmen Arcade one simply because Disney took it off XBL.

I do have that exact counter top I believe.

Again, I'm cool with propeller arena & half life. He needs to be clearly stating these are not retail releases in his listings & ditch the purposefully misleading auction titles.

Now reprinting Rez, Skies (? don't quote me on that one), & Cave Story... those tick me off.

At least there's no manual & most collectors know to check the inside disc ring. Average consumers will not know this.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods