CPU Upgrade Question

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
SpaceBooger

CPU Upgrade Question

Post by SpaceBooger »

I currently have an AMD FX-6300 (6-Core 3.5 GHz 95W) and am thinking of upgrading it to a AMD FX-8300 (8-Core 3.3 GHz Socket 95W).

My motherboard will only support CPUs up to 95W. I want to stick with AMD so is the upgrade from 6 cores to 8 cores worth the $90?
Or would it it be better to go the the FX-8350 (8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) 125W) and get a new motherboard for around $225?

So I guess there are two questions: how much better is either of the FX-83XX processors than my current FX-6300? And is that upgrade worth the price point?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: Atari 2600 & 5200, NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis,
Sega CD, Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU, XBONE & Switch.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: CPU Upgrade Question

Post by noiseredux »

I'm not up on AMD chips, but...

What is the reason you want to upgrade the CPU? Are you unable to play certain things? What is the rest of your system?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

SpaceBooger wrote:Or would it it be better to go the the FX-8350 (8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) 125W) and get a new motherboard for around $225?

If you're going to upgrade your AMD motherboard to a new chipset, you might as well make a truly meaningful leap and get a Ryzen compatible one.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AM ... 3915vs1489
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

An FX-8350 would certainly be an upgrade (you can find comparisons such as this one easily enough), but likely most of that isn't due to the extra cores. There are some games that scale a fair bit with CPU cores/performance (Battlefield 1 comes to mind), but per-core performance still tends to win out.

If you're considering a full motherboard and CPU upgrade, then I would at least consider Ryzen - despite it still not quite keeping up with Intel for gaming, it's a pretty good jump over the FX series. At least see how the Ryzen 5 series benchmark when they release before spending money (well, technically, they're out, just not as widely tested yet it seems).
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Imo, this upgrade isnt worth it in the least bit, save your money and build a Ryzen system dont be cheap on nominal computer upgrades. :roll:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/699?vs=697
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I don't have the money to spend on Intel or ryzen.
I want to upgrade because I think my GTX980 is being bootlenecked by the 6300 (16gb DDR3 ram). When upgrading from the GTX560 to 980 I saw minimal fps improvement in games such as Batman Arkham Knight.

Right now I can get a Biostar 970 chipset board (my current board needed a bios upgrade to run FX chips and does not do so efficiently) and an AMD FX-8300 on newegg for under $150.
I just don't know if I should just upgrade the motherboard, the cpu, both or just ride my current 6300 and let my gpu be bootlenecked.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: Atari 2600 & 5200, NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis,
Sega CD, Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU, XBONE & Switch.
marurun

Post by marurun »

What testing have you done to confirm your CPU is the bottleneck?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

marurun wrote:What testing have you done to confirm your CPU is the bottleneck?

Umm...tests...None.

I figured since I am not using an AMD 970 chipset and numerous reports around the web (everything there is factual right...) that the GTX 980 is too powerful for the FX6300.

What tests do you recommend?
BLOG | BST
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

After reading the article Noise posted. I used MIS Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU usage and I tried it with 3 games:
Deadpool maxed out the CPU use stayed under 50%
Ryse Sone of Rome maxed out and the CPU use maxed out at 80% and GPU around 70% at times
SKYRIM (original) maxed out with some mods the CPU use maxed out at 30% and GPU around 50%

Maybe it's not bottlenecked.
BLOG | BST