Psikyo's shooters

2D Shooters Invade
Boaby Kenobi
16-bit

Psikyo's shooters

Post by Boaby Kenobi »

Anyone else a fan of these games? Titles like Strikers 1945 and Gunbird get played a lot in my house but my personal favourite would have to be either Gunbird 2 or Samurai Aces.
I'm a huge fan of vertical shooters. Love Batsugun and 1944: The Loop Master but I enjoy horizontal SHMUPS too, not as much as vertical ones though. R-Type Leo is probably my fave horizontal shooter.
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

Post by NebachadnezzaR »

What a coincidence, I just wrote a post on my blog today about 2 Psikyo games, Cannon Spike and Zero Gunner (needless to say, I love 'em both), you can read it here. I also love Gunbird 2, specially because it has difficulty modes for everyone, even for people who usually can never finish a shmup like me.
peace4myheart
128-bit

Post by peace4myheart »

I love shmups as kid growing up. You must be in your late 20's or early 30's. Obviously, I am old too as the shmups generation started in the late 80's early 90's 16-bit era. I like Strikers 1945 I and II alright, but now I am leaning more toward bullet hell shooters like Dodonpachi, Espgaluda, and Mushihimesama. Psikyo shooters have too many fast bullets and my reaction time ain't what it used to be. Some personal favorites are Einheinder, Raiden II and DX, and Gradius Gaiden. Man, speaking of R-Types, that brings back so much memories from my Turbografx-16 days, my first console.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

Espgaluda looks great. I keep finding more and more reasons to pick up a Swap Magic disc.
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

Post by HeavyMetalMe »

I played Gunbird not too long ago, but I don't remember it all well. As for vertical shooters in general, they're all I dig. I can't do these horis, they just aren't my thing. I even find myself not playing them as well as I do a vert. Oh well.
High-Brow Gag & Pure Shooting
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

HeavyMetalMe wrote:I played Gunbird not too long ago, but I don't remember it all well. As for vertical shooters in general, they're all I dig. I can't do these horis, they just aren't my thing. I even find myself not playing them as well as I do a vert. Oh well.

Just lay on your side like you did with your verticals on acrade mode, and *whaala* you've got a vertical shmup! :lol:

But seriously check out Thunder Force III and Lightening Force for the genesis before you throw in the towel on all hori games. Also, Thunder Force V and Einhander for the PS1 rock. And Darius Gaiden for the Saturn is quite fun (and hard).

Another awesome vertical game is MUSHA for the genny, and it's kinda-sequel Robo Aleste for the Sega CD. I just picked up Dodonpachi and I'm pschyed to play it, and I got it for a decent price....31 bucks if i recall.

Anyhow, speaking of being psiky'd...
Psikyo made some awsome shooters thats for dang sure. I absolutely love Mars Martix, and the Giga Wing series is a blast. I tried to get into Gunbird 2 but it didn't really click for me. They are fast paced bullet hell kinda games but thats what make them fun. You want to throw the controller but if you do you'll get blown up again. HAHA!

Also, if you like Cannon Spike you'd really like the Red Star for ps2, you can usually pick it up for under 20 bucks brand new. But you don't get to play as Mega Man!!!
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

ott0bot wrote:
Another awesome vertical game is MUSHA for the genny, and it's kinda-sequel Robo Aleste for the Sega CD. I just picked up Dodonpachi and I'm pschyed to play it, and I got it for a decent price....31 bucks if i recall.

Anyhow, speaking of being psiky'd...
Psikyo made some awsome shooters thats for dang sure. I absolutely love Mars Martix, and the Giga Wing series is a blast. I tried to get into Gunbird 2 but it didn't really click for me. They are fast paced bullet hell kinda games but thats what make them fun. You want to throw the controller but if you do you'll get blown up again. HAHA!

At last someone else mentions the truly awesome M.U.S.H.A., definitely one of my favorites on Genesis.

And we seem to also agree on Mars Matrix and Giga Wing...MM is my favourite shooter! But I don't think Psikyo made those...aren't they developed by Takumi? Or maybe I misinterpreted your post...sorry!

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Gunbird 2 either. I like pretty much any shooter but I never feel like playing that one.

And for anyone who doesn't especially like hori shooters (like me)...go play Progear. I suck at it, even though it is supposed to be one of the "easier" Cave games.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
peace4myheart
128-bit

Post by peace4myheart »

Forgot to mention. Since you have a Saturn, I really do recommend you getting a hold of Battle Garegga, that is if you can afford it. It is my favorite game on the Saturn. It is like Strikers or Gunbird on steroid and it will punish you with its ranking. When I say "punish", I really do mean it. Even if it rapes you like a little @$*#*, trust me, you will come back for more because it is so awesome!!!
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

Post by HeavyMetalMe »

I do REALLY like Super Earth Defense Force for SNES though. My roommate and I will play that over and over again for hours.
High-Brow Gag & Pure Shooting
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

peace4myheart wrote:Forgot to mention. Since you have a Saturn, I really do recommend you getting a hold of Battle Garegga, that is if you can afford it. It is my favorite game on the Saturn. It is like Strikers or Gunbird on steroid and it will punish you with its ranking. When I say "punish", I really do mean it. Even if it rapes you like a little @$*#*, trust me, you will come back for more because it is so awesome!!!

BATTLE GAREGGA!!!!!! Die, pink flamingoes!!! Get the medal...get the medal...GET THE MEDAL!!!!

Battle Garegga gets my juices flowin'
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever