Run GPS unit off USB

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

Run GPS unit off USB

Post by bacteria »

I recently modded by Garmin StreetPilot 510 GPS i've had for years, to fit in the sunglasses compartment in the middle of my car. I used to have to put the GPS into the suction pad to go on the windscreen and run the cable to the cigarette lighter for power. Sometimes the suction pad lost adhesion so the unit fell while I was driving which is hardly safe, the unit provides a blind spot on the windscreen and also sometimes the cable gets in the way.

I therefore opened the unit up and made a housing for it next to the cigarette lighter. I don't want to use that to power the vehicle as I use a car camera which uses the port, using an extension isn't convenient.

If you plug the USB into a charging point is assumes it is being connected to a PC, so will not run or even allow you to turn it off until it is connected to a PC; which is of course no use.

I wanted to charge the unit from a phone charger (5v, USB), to do that I did research and found if the pin next to the ground on the inside of the GPS are connected, then the GPS switches on and runs like it does with the 12v cigarette lighter port. That means I can charge and run the unit off USB, which is handy.

Found this information:

I am the Bacman
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Run GPS unit off USB

Post by Fragems »

Have you considered a portable power source? If you have the spare space they are really handy. I use one to take a bit of load off of my cars electrical system I run a strobe light for a solid 5-6 hours straight whenever I deliver mail. I can run the strobe for probably around 30-40 hours before I need to recharge the unit. It also has some handy features like an air compressor(mine has heating issues so I don't rely on it), and a car jumper(used this feature a few times works great and is really handy if you want to help someone out without risking damage to your battery). It's also come in handy during a few power outages.

Had mine about a year and a half and it still holds a solid charge. Just have to remember to stop it once it hits 100% since the overcharge protection is a little iffy on these. Takes about 5-8 hours to charge them usually.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-E ... r/46167068
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

bacteria wrote:I recently modded by Garmin StreetPilot 510 GPS i've had for years, to fit in the sunglasses compartment in the middle of my car. I used to have to put the GPS into the suction pad to go on the windscreen and run the cable to the cigarette lighter for power. Sometimes the suction pad lost adhesion so the unit fell while I was driving which is hardly safe, the unit provides a blind spot on the windscreen and also sometimes the cable gets in the way.

I therefore opened the unit up and made a housing for it next to the cigarette lighter. I don't want to use that to power the vehicle as I use a car camera which uses the port, using an extension isn't convenient. If you plug the USB into a charging point is assumes it is being connected to a PC, so will not run or even allow you to turn it off until it is connected to a PC; which is of course no use.

I wanted to charge the unit from a phone charger (5v, USB), to do that I did research and found if the pin next to the ground on the inside of the GPS are connected, then the GPS switches on and runs like it does with the 12v cigarette lighter port. That means I can charge and run the unit off USB, which is handy.

That is slick! I think when that Garmin came out, an unforeseen in the design that many newer cars now come with USB power source. Good move on the mod making both the physical mount and power lead a cleaner install. I am guessing the USB vs the cigarette lighter sends enough amps to keep the Garmin LCD screen running.

Maybe edit your OP to include a couple of direct pictures of the mod and install?

Fragems wrote:Have you considered a portable power source? If you have the spare space they are really handy. I use one to take a bit of load off of my cars electrical system I run a strobe light for a solid 5-6 hours straight whenever I deliver mail. I can run the strobe for probably around 30-40 hours before I need to recharge the unit.

Bacteria had already done the Mod. That portable battery option would just add to inconvenience of dealing with the recharge at home and eventually will wear out.

The strobes you mentioned (especially if LED) shouldn't have too much more strain on your alternator. However, the portable battery route certainly ideal in your situation where the strobes are still running if you turn off your truck while delivering the mail.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

CRTGAMER wrote:The strobes you mentioned (especially if LED) shouldn't have too much more strain on your alternator. However, the portable battery route certainly ideal in your situation where the strobes are still running if you turn off your truck while delivering the mail.

We are required to turn our vehicle off every time we have to get out which is 30-50+ times a day :P. Plus my charger port in the car doesn't remain on when the vehicle is off so I was losing my strobe and having to use emergency flashers whenever I left the vehicle :P.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

The simple mod I did (short ground with the connection next to it) is easy to do, and if you want to, could easily put in a switch to select between this and PC mode (ie 4th wire not connected).

The Garmin takes very little power, a battery charge I think lasts about 10 hours or so, and runs off one Li-ion battery so can't be more than about 2.3 amps. If that is the case, it shows the low amperage the system needs to run and charge.

I have bought a USB charger for phones you get on ebay for about £7 which you charge on a PC or adapter on mains, then should last for months between charges; it will also charge my mobile if it needs it too (USB). When I use the Garmin, which is rarely anyway, i'll plug into the USB charger to run off that.

Not got photos yet, it's in my car so less convenient than normal. Not the best looking mod i've done as didn't finish the edges where it meets the car trim (used black tape for the small gap), but it is "good enough". I live in flats so to go to the car each time means going down a lift, opening garage door, etc - hassle - hence why "good enough" not "seamless".

This mod should work on other brands easily as the method is the same. A USB has 4 pins, a mini USB has 5. Pin 1 is voltage, pin 5 is ground, pin 4 is the one that if connected to ground tells it to charge, if not connected tells it the USB is connected to a PC so connect to that and not run the GPS.
I am the Bacman
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Fragems wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:The strobes you mentioned (especially if LED) shouldn't have too much more strain on your alternator. However, the portable battery route certainly ideal in your situation where the strobes are still running if you turn off your truck while delivering the mail.
We are required to turn our vehicle off every time we have to get out which is 30-50+ times a day :P. Plus my charger port in the car doesn't remain on when the vehicle is off so I was losing my strobe and having to use emergency flashers whenever I left the vehicle :P.

That is a lot of stops, I had assumed since you mentioned rural in older posts the mailboxes were next to the road for a drive and drop route. You can rewire the existing lighter plug off the fuse box for a solid key off 12 volt lead or add a second cigarette lighter socket for always available 12 volts. Either way so you can keep the strobe existing plug. This of course if not running too long with the truck off. This will save you the hassle of bringing that jump start battery in for a recharge every so often.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

CRTGAMER wrote:
Fragems wrote:

That is a lot of stops, I had assumed since you mentioned rural in older posts the mailboxes were next to the road for a drive and drop route. You can rewire the existing lighter plug off the fuse box for a solid key off 12 volt lead or add a cigarette lighter socket. This of course if not running too long with the truck off. This will save you the hassle of bringing that jump start battery in for a recharge.

Each route services around 500+ boxes and we deliver a lot of stuff for Amazon, Walmart, Shutterfly(Do Not Bend stuff), and etc. On an average day I have 70-100+ packages around 20-30% of which won't fit in the box :P. I also get certified letters and restricted deliveries that require signatures and stuff as well.

The other reason I keep the battery pack in there is if we break down and someone has to come out and finish the route for us we don't get paid for the day :roll: . You could literally work for 7 hours have 10 mail boxes to go break down and if they call someone in to finish for you that person gets paid for the entire day while you don't even get compensated for gas :P.

Anyways we are kind of derailing the thread so let's move this over to the random thoughts thread if you have anymore questions :lol: .
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Yes, derailing, a little GPS is nothing like the power requirements of what you refer to; it's like me talking about a hammer to break a walnut and you're using explosives! lol

A GPS uses barely any power, as mentioned, several hours on one single Li-ion cell.... hence a battery operated USB connection device is more than capable
I am the Bacman