Best New PS3 Deal - 2016

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Best New PS3 Deal - 2016

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay, I'm looking into getting a new a PS3 again. We discussed this on another "deals" thread about a year ago & all the well priced consoles were the smaller (12GB?) HDD at the time. I didn't have a spare HDD laying around so it didn't make sense.

Looks like Wal Mart has a nice price on the slim with a 500GB HDD available in my area for pickup:

PlayStation 3 500GB Console (PS3)
$219.99 (pre-tax)

Seems well priced, right?

Do you guys know of any better deals for new PS3 consoles?

How low do you see the PS3 dropping for a new console at retail?
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Best New PS3 Deal - Mid 2016

Post by isiolia »

Jagosaurus wrote:Do you guys know of any better deals for new PS3 consoles?

How low do you see the PS3 dropping for a new console at retail?

Gamestop does list the Last of Us 500GB bundle for $199.99, if any stores actually still have them, though it's unlikely. Their price for the basic 500GB is the same $219.99, again, if your local stores have them.

Wal Mart also looks to be doing a bundle with a new 500GB PS3 and a used copy of CoD: Ghosts for $219 as a special buy. So if you go there, might as well see if you can get that.

Hard to say regarding the PS3 at retail in general. Right now, their official site still shows the Last of Us 500GB bundle and the Disney Infinity 12GB bundle with MSRPs of $269 and $249 respectively. Amazon supply for those is low, and the prices are mostly at/above MSRP.

Actual available stock seems to be mixed, with large retailers such as Best Buy and Gamestop only showing used systems available online.

It seems more like PS3 retail availability is on its way out. There could be some official price drop, but I suspect that getting a 500GB model for much under $200 is going to be a matter of catching one on clearance locally.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I know this isn't probably what you are looking for but I think used PS3's off local craigslist or pawn shops for $120-$150 arn't a bad way to go. Most places are going to carry a 30 day warranty and don't mind testing them with you at the store before you make a purchase.

There was also a hell of a PS3 lot up for grabs here on Racketboy probably a month ago for only like $120 with a ton of good games. Might be worth posting a wanted ad to find one from someone here.

*Edit*
Just did a quick search on slickdeals.net and came up with this crazy deal.... Gamestop has a 3-Console Bundle (Pre-Owned Refurbished) consisting of PS3 Slim, Xbox 360 & Nintendo Wii + Accessories on sale for $159.99. Shipping starts at $7.99.

Bundle includes:
160GB PlayStation 3 SLIM (Pre-Owned Refurbished)
Controller (style may vary)
USB controller cable
Standard AV Cord
AC Cable

Xbox 360 in White (Pre-Owned Refurbished)
20GB Xbox 360 Hard Drive (Refurbished)
Wireless Controller
Standard AV Cord
AC Cable

Nintendo Wii in White (Pre-Owned Refurbished)
Controller
Nunchuk
Sensor Bar
Standard AV Cable
AC Cable

For $160 thats a hell of a deal if you can find some use out of the other two consoles.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks isi. Didn't realize they were the same price at Gamestop. I happen to have a nice Walmart (yes, apparently a few exist lol) a few miles from me.

I don't see them getting under $200 new either unless I waited for black Friday/Cyber Monday. 5 months away though.

@8bit, crazy price for all 3. I own a Wii, & haven't owned a 360 since college (man, that was a long generation!). Tempting to jump on it, then sale the Wii to net ~$35, making it $125. I'm just being a bit OCD regarding new as they're readily available out there.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

As an update, Walmart has come down 9%, $20 off:

PlayStation 3 500GB Console (PS3)
$199.99 (pre-tax)

That's the "super slim" ... now I really don't see it getting lower than that new unless there's a black Friday or cyber deal.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Best New PS3 Deal - 2016

Post by Jagosaurus »

FYI, looks like Wal Mart has the 500GB "super slim" for $149.99.

Way under what I thought I'd see it drop to in 2016 for a new console.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You got that price from the website, right?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation- ... 3/43604185

"Sold & Shipped by Altatac." I got excited, I thought I'd be able to get one at the store for that price.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:You got that price from the website, right?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation- ... 3/43604185

"Sold & Shipped by Altatac." I got excited, I thought I'd be able to get one at the store for that price.

Maybe it's not all markets. I can pickup in store for that:

$149.00+ FREEshipping
Arrives Dec 8
or
FREE pickup today at Houston Walmart Supercenter
Sold & Shipped byWalmart
Free returns online and in stores
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ah, I see WalMart listed as another seller. Neat, looks like it's in stock at my local WalMart.

Are the Super Slims worth getting? I have a Slim right now, but have been wanting to pick up a second PS3 to keep as a backup. Probably not gonna get a better deal than a 500GB model for $150.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:Ah, I see WalMart listed as another seller. Neat, looks like it's in stock at my local WalMart.

Are the Super Slims worth getting? I have a Slim right now, but have been wanting to pick up a second PS3 to keep as a backup. Probably not gonna get a better deal than a 500GB model for $150.

I remember watching a few reviews when they came out. Most said it felt like a cheaper build quality but what was attractive to me was no disc drive tray. That top door slides open & you drop the disc in. One less common point of failure over the years.

Internet/LAN connection & HDMI are there so it's not gutted like the Wii mini or anything.