PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
arcadifvid
32-bit

Re: PC-Engine Collecting + System Questions

Post by arcadifvid »

why do i keep seeing in forums that PC engines tend to break really easy.
im thinking of getting just the coregrafx. do they really break that easy? (hope not)

how about the hucards? are there chances that the console would really have a hard time reading the cards? (ala dirty contacts with famicom) if yes, how do we clean them?

and finally im really confused about those system update 3.0 cards.. so does that mean i have to be wary on what game im buying if i dont have those system cards? like some games might not work on a bare bones coregrafx unit? how can i tell? (aside from supergrafx cards which i think is the most obvious)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

The system cards do matter for what CD games you can play, yes. There are 3 basic levels of CD games. Otherwise if you ignore the few Supergrafx games, the card games are universal.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/turbogra ... ners-guide
http://pcenginefx.com/main/nec_compatibility_guide.html
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

ahh thank you Hobie-wan. much to learn. gonna be sticking with just the cards then
marurun

Post by marurun »

arcadifvid wrote:why do i keep seeing in forums that PC engines tend to break really easy.
im thinking of getting just the coregrafx. do they really break that easy? (hope not)

PC Engines actually hold up pretty well. But if you think about it, a CD drive has moving parts. How many CD anythings do you know that are as old as the PC Engine CD hardware and still hold up? The fact that replacement gears and lasers will keep the things running is actually quite a testament to the manufacturing quality. I'd say they have a much better operational rate than the Playstation, Saturn, or Dreamcast, and those are all newer systems.

arcadifvid wrote:how about the hucards? are there chances that the console would really have a hard time reading the cards? (ala dirty contacts with famicom) if yes, how do we clean them?

Sometimes the card slots get dirty, but they are easy to clean. A short stack of index cards with a little high percentage (90+) rubbing alcohol will do the trick if there's a problem.

arcadifvid wrote:and finally im really confused about those system update 3.0 cards.. so does that mean i have to be wary on what game im buying if i dont have those system cards? like some games might not work on a bare bones coregrafx unit? how can i tell? (aside from supergrafx cards which i think is the most obvious)

The articles Hobie linked cover the details, but the TL;DR version is:

All the system cards are backwards compatible, and some systems have certain system card functionality built in.

Arcade card = Top level system card. Plays ArcadeCD games. Backwards compatible with SuperCD games and CD-ROM2 games. Not built into any hardware.

Super System 3.0 card = Mid-level system card. Plays SuperCD games. Backwards compatible with CD-ROM2 games. Built into all Duo models and Super CD-ROM expansion.

System 2.0/2.1 card = Base level system card. Plays CD-ROM2 games. Not built into any hardware, meaning the older CD-ROM expansion units require this card or better to be present to play CD-ROM games.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Hobie-wan wrote:The system cards do matter for what CD games you can play, yes. There are 3 basic levels of CD games. Otherwise if you ignore the few Supergrafx games, the card games are universal.

Again, the links point it out well, but for anyone being lazy, it's worth specifically pointing out:

PC-Engine and TurboGrafx16 games are not interchangeable natively. You'll need either a pin adapter (you CAN make homemade versions with a little work) or a switch of some sort (I've got an old, physical 8 pole single throw switch but I know there's a version that works on an IC now) soldered in to use TG16 games on a PCE and vice versa, even though they look like they should work.

This also affects choice of system card -- Super System 3.0 is typically WAY more expensive in US version (for that matter, most TGCD stuff is more expensive than PCE CD), but it is out there. Arcade Card on the other hand is PCE only unless you have one of the above choices.

Figured I'd point it out to save some people some headaches :D PC-Engine collecting is generally way cheaper overall, but for some of the more text-heavy games you might have a problem unless you get yours modded for TG16 usage.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

thanks guys for the tips. i tried my best to read through all but i guess some things couldn't understand clearly. so anyway yeah im planning to get just a coregrafx soon. just a hucard player and none of the CD game players. more for just shooters and platformers.
i think the pc engine/t16 is one awesome system that people may just have not given a fair chance back in the day. but admittedly its one of the things where i always wanted but just never had the chance (along with the NeoGeo)
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Great, great system for shooters. By no means the only type of game on there, but definitely one of its strengths.

Also, I love Racketboy. Probably my favorite community overall (Underground Gamer might have given it a run for the money back in the day). However, for all things PCE related, I definitely recommend pcenginefx.com's forums. Wealth of knowledge, fairly welcoming community (they obviously prefer to deal with established members, so talk a little before going straight for the marketplace, but they're nowhere near as likely to flame you for sport as Shmups or Neo-Geo) and a great marketplace.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

KalessinDB wrote:PC-Engine and TurboGrafx16 games are not interchangeable natively.

Sorry yes I should have said "within the respective regions".
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

By the way, no. Like the compatibility lists suggest you can't run all conceivable games at once.
Laseractive doesn't have a Supergrafx module.
Lum fan.
marurun

Post by marurun »

theclaw wrote:By the way, no. Like the compatibility lists suggest you can't run all conceivable games at once.
Laseractive doesn't have a Supergrafx module.

But the SuperGrafx can connect to a SuperCD unit and take an Arcade Card, which means it is the ultimate system except the inability to play LD-ROM games, which kinda all sucked anyway.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.