Any good racing games that also portray characters?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
JC48573
128-bit

Any good racing games that also portray characters?

Post by JC48573 »

like the Mario Kart series or Quantum Redshift. I am looking for racing games where you pick the racer.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: Any good racing games that also portray characters?

Post by Sload Soap »

Any racing game with a character select? There are a ton. Do you just want the quality ones or a more comprehensive list?

The most obvious ones are the Mario Kart clones. Crash Team Racing and Diddy Kong Racing were probably the best MK clones until Sonic and All-Stars Racing came out. I like a PS1 kart racing game called Speed Freaks/Punks.

The original Wipeout on PS1 has you choose a character in similar fashion to Quantum Redshift. Star Wars: Pod Racer is another. F1 games have a character select insofar as you choose a real life driver.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Yeah, quite a lot of these. I've been building a racing game database on Rolling Start, just search with the keyword "kart" and you'll find more than you shake a stick at. There's more of course (and the database is still getting games added to it, it's not complete), but it should get you started.

RGDB.

Any particular reason you're looking for character-based racing games? Not something I've come across before...
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Rock & Roll Racing

Offhand, R: Racing Evolution has a story mode, so as long as you want to play a female ambulance driver turned racer, there you go.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

Ghegs wrote:Yeah, quite a lot of these. I've been building a racing game database on Rolling Start, just search with the keyword "kart" and you'll find more than you shake a stick at. There's more of course (and the database is still getting games added to it, it's not complete), but it should get you started.

RGDB.

Any particular reason you're looking for character-based racing games? Not something I've come across before...

I think it adds a bit of life and personality to the game IMO. While people like to pretend they are the ones driving, I actually prefer playing as a character, rider, racer, etc.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

JC48573 wrote:I think it adds a bit of life and personality to the game IMO. While people like to pretend they are the ones driving, I actually prefer playing as a character, rider, racer, etc.

One I just remembered: PS1's Porsche Challenge. The manual actually makes a big deal of the characters, it even has a table that lists how the characters feel about each other. But none of it matters one bit in-game. And they all drive the Porsche Boxster anyway.

Now that I think about it, I don't really put myself into the driver's seat when I'm playing a racing game. It's just controlling the on-screen avatar to me, just like Mario or a generic space marine or what have you.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

All the Crash Bandicoot racing games are quality and are 'character' driven.

Also Mad Dash Racing for Xbox was a MK clone with Eidos/Crystal Dynamics characters that was actually very well designed and ended up just being a tad bit rushed which resulted in it being seen as a failure and not a true hidden gem of a racer. The course design is AMAZING, but the racing power ups and elements are lackluster and the AI is busted as all hell. Great party game if you really wanna try out something different with friends who like trying new 4p games.

Also, I will use this opportunity to plug Raskulls yet again. The game is like MK-SMW-mr. driller and bomberman all in one! You race, you destroy blocks, platform, you hinder opponents, you collect power ups, you find optimal paths to victory and you can just plain F%#$ with people in general. Character driven racing with tons of other fun elements thrown in. One of the most underrated MP games of the last generation. TRY THE DAMN DEMO AND YOU WILL SEE, NON-BELIEVERS! Thank me later!
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

R4 has characters in Grand Prix mode, nothing too deep though. Also it's the best of the original, pre-funky-on-rails-feel-drifting Ridge Racers, so there's that too.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

F-Zero (All of them)

I think maybe GX is the best one. I haven't played X, though.