Megaman (Wily Wars/Mega World) Stateside Question

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
GrouchoGlasses
16-bit

Megaman (Wily Wars/Mega World) Stateside Question

Post by GrouchoGlasses »

I've been following some reproduction carts of Megaman: Wily Wars (Rockman: Mega World) for Genesis. I know the Mega Drive runs at a slightly slower PAL 50hz. Will this slowdown be apparent in a Genesis reproduction cart?

My set up is a Model 2 Genesis connected to a Sony WEGA Trinitron via Composite (Y/R/W) cables.

I like the idea of a "Mario All-Stars" version of the first few Megamans, but if there will be slowdown or poor refresh rates, I'll stick with the NES versions.

How do Genesis reproduction carts of Mega Drives preform in the 60hz NTSC side of th world?

(The Firemen is on my want list too. I assume all PAL games will preform the same on reproduction carts?)

Thank You!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Megaman (Wily Wars/Mega World) Stateside Question

Post by emwearz »

GrouchoGlasses wrote:I know the Mega Drive runs at a slightly slower PAL 50hz. Will this slowdown be apparent in a Genesis reproduction cart?

Yes, because it is the consoles hardwired settings that runs at 50hz, the cart does not carry freq data, like the PS1 did.

It will run letterboxed (like most other game you play on a Megadrive) and 17% slower than the NTSC console would run it. Some PAL releases were PAL optimized (usually they just sped the music up, some implemented a speed up, but this was later in the consoles life). As your using a PAL consoles, no matter what it will run at 50hz.

You can mod your console with a 50/60hz switch, however 60hz will be outputted in black and white via composite, get a SCART RGB cable to output in colour @60hz on a PAL Megadrive (or you can do more complicated mod).

How do Genesis reproduction carts of Mega Drives preform in the 60hz NTSC side of th world?

Again, it does not matter about the cart as the console runs at 60hz, they will run fullscreen and fullspeed, the way they were designed to be played.

I like the idea of a "Mario All-Stars" version of the first few Megamans, but if there will be slowdown or poor refresh rates, I'll stick with the NES versions.

If you are using a PAL console, then it is running at 50hz and thus slower than the NTSC counterpart. If you are using a NTSC console they will run at 60hz .Most games not made by Nintendo themselves on the NES were not PAL optimized.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

EDIT EDIT: Not sure if you are using a NTSC or PAL console, but above applies to both really.
Last edited by emwearz on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
GrouchoGlasses
16-bit

Post by GrouchoGlasses »

Hmm, I'm a bit confused. I have a NTSC Genesis. I want to play PAL reproduction cartridges (Wily Wars, The Fireman). Will these games play properly? I.e. correct speeds and images--as the creators intended.

PAL ROMs on NTSC hardware
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

GrouchoGlasses wrote:Hmm, I'm a bit confused. I have a NTSC Genesis. I want to play PAL reproduction cartridges (Wily Wars, The Fireman). Will these games play properly? I.e. correct speeds and images--as the creators intended.

PAL ROMs on NTSC hardware

Generally speaking there is no such thing as 'PAL' roms for the Megadrive/Genesis, they are the same rom image on both carts. It is the hardware that changes the freq output.

To make it short, it will run at fullspeed / correct aspect on your hardware.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

If you've heard complaints about slowdown it's because Wily Wars itself suffers from some pretty noticeable slowdown during certain sprite-heavy parts.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Most games are written for NTSC.
For those few PAL optimized games to play right, you'd have to make 50hz video output work. (like said earlier RGB recommended to avoid color issues)
Lum fan.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Gunstar Green wrote:If you've heard complaints about slowdown it's because Wily Wars itself suffers from some pretty noticeable slowdown during certain sprite-heavy parts.

While it's true that there is slowdown in Wily Wars/Mega World, it's really only slightly more than the NES games, as the latter also see slowdown in most of the same places it occurs in Wily Wars/Mega World. The most noticeable difference is most likely projectiles, which overall move slightly more slowly than in the NES game, and make Mega Man's firing rate slower. I find neither of these things to be serious issues, but I have been considering overclocking my Mega Drive for Mega World.
GrouchoGlasses
16-bit

Post by GrouchoGlasses »

Excellent! This is great news.

In general, do my fellow retro gamers prefer individual reproduction carts for their copies of the must have imports or do you generally prefer flashcarts? Flashcarts seem to be a larger upfront purchase at anywhere up to $200, but will have a lower cost inthe long run. Individual repo carts look great on the shelf, but can average $25-$55 per game. Which is preferred?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

GrouchoGlasses wrote:Excellent! This is great news.

In general, do my fellow retro gamers prefer individual reproduction carts for their copies of the must have imports or do you generally prefer flashcarts? Flashcarts seem to be a larger upfront purchase at anywhere up to $200, but will have a lower cost inthe long run. Individual repo carts look great on the shelf, but can average $25-$55 per game. Which is preferred?

Everyone has their own preferences. The flash cart will pay for itself in no-time.

It depends on if you just want to play imports or if you want to collect them.

I personally like repros of some costly games so I can get a close to authentic experience and have the game on my shelf but some people understandably just see them as worthless bootlegs.