Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Post by Gamerforlife »

I had no idea it came out this week. I need to buy this ASAP!

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/632900- ... index.html
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Re: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Post by BoringSupreez »

I plan to pick it up myself. I hope it's not a failure sales-wise.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

BoringSupreez wrote:I plan to pick it up myself. I hope it's not a failure sales-wise.

Well, those douchy 6 out of 10 scores from Eurogamer, EGM, Polygon, and Playstation Lifestyle won't help. What irritates me is that those reviews can all be summed up in one sentence, "It's just like the PS2 games...which is why it sucks." I'm gonna get a little ranty here, apologies.

It wasn't that long ago that I played the HD Collection of the PS2 trilogy, and I found those games every bit as fun today as they were years ago. I don't see how anyone in his right mind can call them dated. If reviewers would like to see the series innovate or evolve a bit more, fine...but a 6 out of 10? That's quite harsh. With new developers behind the wheel, I'm sure their main concern was just showing fans that they can make a proper Sly game, not reinvent the wheel. Plus, those reviewers act like 3D platformers are so common now and that Sly is behind its peers. Really? I don't see that many cutesy, 3D mascot platformers out there right now to even compare it to, and it's probably because of douchy reviewers who give them 6 out of 10s. This game is actually a breath of fresh air given the current state of the industry and its obsession with war, guns, and its dislike for all things Japanese (which probably includes cutesy mascot platformers). I just don't get a 6 out of 10 vibe from the demo I played. I'll happily eat crow if I feel differently once I play the whole game, but I doubt I will. Rant over.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Don't worry about the 6/10s. The Sly games have always been underrated, sort of like the Ace Attorney series.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

BoringSupreez wrote:Don't worry about the 6/10s. The Sly games have always been underrated, sort of like the Ace Attorney series.

That's true, but I would have liked to see that change. Oh well, Game Informer gave it a very high score. Given the circulation that magazine gets with its Gamestop tie in, that could be good for sales I suppose.

Here's a nice quote from their review:

"After playing so many shooters in recent years, Thieves in Time’s old-school platforming is a breath of fresh air. While it doesn’t innovate, its subtle craftsmanship and varied gameplay reasserts what we’ve always known: This genre still has something important to add to the game industry. I hope this game meets with the success it deserves."
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I'll be getting this soon-ish. Need to finish up PS4 Golden and AC: Liberation first though.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I'll buy it once I have my hands on a Vita. I've always liked the Sly series, even if I always wanted to make turtle soup out of Bentley.

@Stark

How is AC: Liberation?
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I've always liked the Sly series, even if I always wanted to make turtle soup out of Bentley.

@Stark
How is AC: Liberation?

Well, yeah and I've always wanted to punch Slippy in the face, doesn't make me want to stop playing Star Fox :P

Liberation is very cool, for the few minutes I've played it. I really liked Bloodlines for the PSP, but always felt that the problem was not having dual analog. Problem = fixed.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Got my copy today, finished the intro level and am playing the first chapter. It all feels very familiar so far. If I didn't already know there was a different developer behind this, I'd have just assumed it was still Sucker Punch behind the wheel. They've brought back some stuff from Sly 2, like collectible bottles and timed sprints to the base with artifacts. One interesting change from previous games is that I can see on my mini-map where enemies are. There also seems to be some minor quick time events

Minor complaints:
The camera could be slightly better utilized in some spots
They've slightly altered Sly's face. He has this "cuter" look now, like they tried to make him a bit more kid friendly. It's almost like what they did to Ratchet in the latest Ratchet and Clank game

Other than that, it's classic Sly. I'm roaming around a hub area with my next mission highlighted, but I'm having too much fun finding bottles and messing with guards by pick pocketing them, stealth killing them, or knocking them off rooftops for that classic. Looney Tunes inspired, suspended in gravity moment, right before they inevitably fall
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Thinking about trying this for the cross buy feature, but I've never played any of these games. What is the gameplay like?
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo