Buyin at racketBOY for the 1st time!

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
dark_soul23

Buyin at racketBOY for the 1st time!

Post by dark_soul23 »

Hey there buddies!
Well, i would like to buy ur Dreamcast VGA Cable - $17.95, however I must know the following:
1- Is it compatible with burned games (backups)?
2- You guys sell to Portugal (its in Europe). If yes, how much is it?
3-Is compatible with my SamsungLCDtv LW20M21C C?

Currently I am using a RF cable (the one which came with my DC), does the VGA cable, makes a big difference?

Thank youz :wink:
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

Its compatible with back ups. Only if the game itself supports it... the fact it is burned plays no role in it (i.e. the game "chu chu rocket" does not support tht VGA box in code burned or not).

Your TV we probably won't know. The chances someon else here has owned your TV and used a VGA box with it is slim. Check your manual, it needs to support VGA input at 640X480 at 60hz refresh rate.

As for quality, better then RF? Oh most DEFINITELY!
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
dark_soul23

Post by dark_soul23 »

Please, take a look at my tv booklet, and tell me if it works or not:

Thanks
jamesoft

Post by jamesoft »

Yes it loks like it sopports 640x480 at 60 hz
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

There really is no sure fire way to determine if your display will work with DC's VGA, aside from finding someone else with the same display to ask. It seems totally random. The good news is, it works on the vast majority of displays. We've seen displays that claimed to support the simple 640x480@60, and yet the Dreamcast would still not work with it.
YearOne

Post by YearOne »

Mozgus wrote:There really is no sure fire way to determine if your display will work with DC's VGA, aside from finding someone else with the same display to ask. It seems totally random. The good news is, it works on the vast majority of displays. We've seen displays that claimed to support the simple 640x480@60, and yet the Dreamcast would still not work with it.

I think I have a problem with that, actually. When I first tried playing my Dreamcast on my HDTV via a VGA cable, the picture would default to 720x480p @60hz. I don't see a way to change it and I can't find my manual so I plan to look online for it later.

I have a question about that 720x480 resolution (well, a few questions, actually): Is that resolution the same as 720p? Why does my TV default to that resolution when I play my Dreamcast on it? and while I get a significant visual improvement over composite, do my games look the best they can in this resolution? One more question: Is there any way I can change it to 640x480? I'm not really sure what the native resolution is on my tv, but i do know it supports 480 to 1080 in progressive and interlaced.

thanks for reading my post. I don't have a huge comprehension of High-def though I have been reading around the forums. great site btw.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

YearOne wrote:Is that resolution the same as 720p?

No, 480p, 720p, and 1080i/p are all measurements of the vertical pixel axis, not horizontal.

Why does my TV default to that resolution when I play my Dreamcast on it?

Oh, I dunno. Possibly because that's the resolution of DVD video. I'm not sure.

While I get a significant visual improvement over composite, do my games look the best they can in this resolution?

For Dreamcast, VGA is the best they will look. Whether or not your television supports upscaling the games to 720p or 1080i/p is mostly irrelevant.

Is there any way I can change it to 640x480? I'm not really sure what the native resolution is on my tv, but i do know it supports 480 to 1080 in progressive and interlaced.

I have no idea.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

It's because you have a widescreen TV that your TV defaults to 720X480.

640X480 is a 4:3 standard definition resolution (square shape like non-widescreen TVs). To get it to play in true 640X480 you'd just put your TV in non-widescreen mode... you know the kind with the black bars on the sides (not the top and bottom).

640X480 is going to be the best resolution possible. Upscaling doesn't improve video quality... and actually decreases it slightly (i.e. upscaling to 1080p). If you have a LCD, DLP, or Plasma HDTV the TV has an upscaler built into it (as those formats require things to be displayed in it native resolution). So the upscaling already occurs.

you can invest in an after market scaler if you have a cheap scaler in your TV (this is kinda off topic though).
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
YearOne

Post by YearOne »

Thanks for the info Mozgus and lordofduct. :D

It's great to see Dc games in Vga mode. However, I find that the visual quality of one game was surprisingly worsened by using the vga cable: Space Channel 5. SP5 uses full motion video for most of it's backdrops and in vga mode the visuals are plagued by artifacts and blurry video. all the polygonal character models look great though. funny. Does anyone else get that?

Again, thanks for the help guys.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

YearOne wrote:Thanks for the info Mozgus and lordofduct. :D

It's great to see Dc games in Vga mode. However, I find that the visual quality of one game was surprisingly worsened by using the vga cable: Space Channel 5. SP5 uses full motion video for most of it's backdrops and in vga mode the visuals are plagued by artifacts and blurry video. all the polygonal character models look great though. funny. Does anyone else get that?

Again, thanks for the help guys.

Well, the VGA cable lets you see every bit of detail, whether you want to see them or not :)
You're gonna get that with any high-quality video connection. If you are terribly concerned about that, you can always get the full VGA box any play the "sensitive" games with S-Video which will blur it a bit.

If you would like to play a SP5 game with 100% polygon, I believe Part 2 (japanese only) is all polygons. Just a thought :)