yet another mod chip question

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
nintendo_ds
24-bit

yet another mod chip question

Post by nintendo_ds »

OK, so I put the mod chip in the good ol' Saturn Model 2 32 pin, using the A+B method and original games play fine and dandy, but there seems to be a problem with the CD-R's.

The games load up just fine and I can sorta play them...

Virtual On: Cyber Troopers Net Link Edition (long title) works when it loads, but you can only play the game in Ranking mode, because arcade mode freezes up... might be a disc scratch from the original copy, whatever.

Burning Rangers [E (patched)] and [U] works as well, sorta. I started the game up and watched the snazzy FMV, then went in and started the game, finished training mode and immediately the game froze... crap!

I then proceeded to find the US version of the game and it worked as well, sorta. I was now on Level 1, as the training mode somehow took as completed, and far into the first part of level 1, the power goes out (in the game) and then the Chris woman gets her voice halted... no more hints from Chris, even if I call her. Then I go to the elevator and the game won't load the audio for the voices at all, so I go down the elevator, the screen goes black to load the next part of the level, and it freezes again... poop!

So I am not really sure if it is the A+B method doing it, but I am gonna try the pin 14 method prolly tomorrow night...

Until then, does anyone know about this sort of problem?
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

first this should be in the 'technical help' section.

secondly, it really sounds like a CD problem and not a mod chip problem. The modchip just fakes the security ring at boot up... after boot up the chip basically just sits there and does much of nothing.

Try burning your disks on a different brand CD-R, try burning them slower, and also test out some direct copies from fully working legite games as well. If the copies of legite copies work fine then you know it's bad images you're burning.

If you continue to have the problems with direct copies of legite games that you know to work. Then it's the brand, speed of burn, or even the laser (might want to strengthen it an 1/8th of a turn clockwise).
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
nintendo_ds
24-bit

Post by nintendo_ds »

I tried to burn my games on PHILIPS, imation, and maxwell, but I also have a Sony one lying here... I even burn the games at 4x... I'll try to copy my legit game, as I only have one, but it has a billion scratches one it, so we will see how that goes.

I am also going to try the laser technique, by why would it matter if the sensitivity was up or not, as the laser was obviously able to read the game 15 minutes before it froze, on FOUR different images (CD images).

I'll keep you posted...

BTW, are TDK brand OK?

EDIT:
Ok, so I tried the 1/8th turn laser thing and tried out the game, but ran into the same issue where the game froze up in the same spot. I still have not tried the Sony CD, so I guess I will do that tonight. Does anyone have this same problem or am I in the boat all alone. Also, has anyone downloaded a game that can up it for me that they have tried and know it works on a NTSC Model 2 Saturn?

I just thought that I should also tell you guys the burning program I am using: Nero 7.2.7.0, I just open the cue sheet and burn at 4x, should the buffer underrun protection thing be checked or unchecked, cause that might make a difference, right?
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

If it continually is freezing at the same place, I am really sure that it is the image your using.

I have Earthworm Jim 2 here (i chose this one as it is only 35 megs, it is ripped from my own collection, and is tested to work 100%). Tell me a place to upload it to that you trust and I'll put it there for you.

nintendo_ds
24-bit

Post by nintendo_ds »

man, you have helped me an awful lot, thanks dude
Last edited by nintendo_ds on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

it is there

nintendo_ds
24-bit

Post by nintendo_ds »

thanks a lot, I'll try to burn it tonight to see if it works all fine and dandy
nintendo_ds
24-bit

Post by nintendo_ds »

Earthworm Jim works fine, but Burning Rangers still freezes in the same spot, I find this odd since it doesn't do it on the SSF Emulator
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

try finding another ISO
nintendo_ds
24-bit

Post by nintendo_ds »

I have found THREE, but they all do the same thing. If you have one that you know for 100% works on a actual US Saturn Model 2, please upload it and give me a link