NEC --- If you could have any 30 games on your shelf

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: NEC --- If you could have any 30 games on your shelf

Post by dsheinem »

mjmjr25 wrote:For someone who doesn't really "get" console pinball games...are the Crush games that unique that they are better than others?

Yes. They are extremely stylistic, were more or less the first to get the physics/control right, and hold up really well today. They have fantastic soundtracks and a distinct set of goals and tables to unlock.

It's a shame that Alien Crush Returns on the Wii was so mediocre :(
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

I wish I could contribute :( , but I only own 11 TG-16 games.

I have not dipped my toe into collecting for this console.

I have emulated them though. But its just not the same.

carry on...
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Here's some specifics i'd like to know about...

Any commentary on these other than pricey?
Gates of Thunder
Gunhed
Coryoon
Sylphia
Magical Chase
Gekisha Boy
Chiki Chiki Boys
Hana Taka Daka
Burning Angels
Nekketsu Legend Baseballer
Jackie Chan 1 and 2
Parasol Stars
Legend of Hero Tonma
Star Parodier

All the Bonks and Air Zonks in general...
Bonk 3 Hu-card vs Bonk 3 CD...just a rarity thing or is CD much better?

Which version?
Lords of Thunder...SCD or PCE?
Ninja Gaiden Ryukenden...SFC or PCE?
Aero Blasters...MD or PCE?
Steam Hearts...SAT or PCE?
Liquid Kids...SAT or PCE?
Kiki KaiKai...SFC or PCE?

Ninja Stuff
Ninja Action, Ninja Warriors, Ninja Spirit, Samurai Ghost 1 and 2...any comments on any of them? Ninja Warriors looks like a pretty bad port - the others i'm not familiar with...

Here's ones I know are excellent from playing in the past or from constant praise:
Sapphire
Rondo of Blood
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

an argument could be made that Rondo Of Blood is best on PSP as it has the original (w/ English translation), a remake, as well as a port of SOTN in a much cheaper package. Don't know if $ is an object in these threads, but the translation and inclusion of remake and sequel could be compelling...
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I have played both the Saturn and PCE Liquid Kids versions, and the Saturn version wins hands down. The animation is much better and pretty darn near arcade perfect, the PCE version is fun but it is a much more stripped down port.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Gate of Thunder - Just a beautiful shmup that plays smoothly and has a great soundtrack.

Gunhed - aka Blazing Lazers. Fast paced shmup that set an early high bar on the system. Awesome power-up system and one of the best console-specific shooters ever.

Lords of Thunder...SCD or PCE - PCE version has a better soundtrack by most counts and otherwise is a better port in most aspects. Here's a nice comparison: http://www.sega-16.com/2006/06/side-by- ... ografx-cd/

I played Ninja Spirit last year and thought it was on par with Splatterhouse in terms of a quality arcade-to-PCE port. It's an essential game on this list, I think.
I'd have no problems adding Sapphire to the list, but that is a game where I think its price profile makes people think it is a little better than it really is.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Gates of Thunder - As Dave said, it's a really fun fantastic shmup with a rocking soundtrack.
Gunhed (Blazing Lazers) - It is a fun Compile shmup with their trademark multi stage powerups for different gun types.
Burning Angels - This is ok, but not fantastic by any means. Has it gotten pricey?
Jackie Chan 1 - This is a fun platform action game. It is the same, though obviously superior to the NES version.

Star Parodier - It is vertical and on the easy side, but the usual statement about it being the system's Parodius is true.

Air Zonks in general - The first is better than the second which is odd since they obviously had more space for improvements with the CD. They're both fun hori cute em ups though.

Kiki KaiKai...SFC or PCE - I'm assuming you mean the Pocky & Rocky games for SNES/SFC. Kiki Kaikai for PCE is an arcade port and 1 player only. The SFC games are sequels and of course 2 player.

Ninja Spirit - A must have if you like that type of action game. There's a GB port that's pretty decent too, but obviously more cramped.
Ninja Warriors - I have it, but I haven't really played the arcade or any of the other ports. It's ok, but nothing special on PCE at least.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier
Blazing Lazers

These are the three TG16 games that I bought on the Wii that I played dozens of hours of.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Burning Angels - not sure what historical prices have been, but it's $100 buy nows and looking at completeds does $50-60.

I see maru is browsing the thread now...looking forward to his suggestions.
marurun

Post by marurun »

So sorry about the length. I put my own recommendations under spoiler tags to keep this from taking over the thread. I'm sure I will have more to add later as I mull this over further.
mjmjr25 wrote:Gates of Thunder

If you can, get the US version. It also has Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, and a hidden full Bomberman on it. Saves owning the separate HuCards for those. That and Gate is probably my favorite shooter on the platform. The soundtrack is the bomb, and composed and performed by a Japanese audio studio created by the bass player from Duran Duran (whom I suspect performs the bass lines on the soundtrack).
Gunhed

Compile shooter. One of the best on the system. Sound effects are fantastic and the soundtrack is REALLY eclectic. I happen to like it. The spiritual prequel to Super Aleste/Space Megaforce on the SNES (but much better, IMO). Particularly impressive as such an early title in the system's library.
Coryoon

This game provides the game and audio engine for the first Air Zonk/PC Denjin. If you've played both they really do feel like reskins of each other. They are both fun, but similar enough that you could probably skate by with just one.
Magical Chase

Not worth the cash, but I still think it's a better shooter than most give it credit for. The music is great, but the final level has one of the best chip soundtracks on the system, IMO. Composed by the same dude who did Gauntlet IV on the Genesis, I think. Great use of visual effects.
Chiki Chiki Boys

Some have suggested the Genesis version is better. I think it's a toss-up. The Genesis has the full arcade resolution, but a lot of the graphics are redone. The PCE version has some graphical elements that are truer to the arcade, but it's not consistent.
Jackie Chan 1 and 2

There is no 2. This is EXACTLY the same game as the NES version, just with better graphics and audio throughout. Any actual gameplay differences are negligible.
Parasol Stars

One of my favorite HuCard action puzzlers on the system. Not quite as tight as Bubble Bobble or Rainbow Islands, but a worthy sequel. This is the original around which all the computer ports are based. There has never been any convincing evidence an arcade version ever actually existed. I think the music is fantastic, the graphics are great, and there's lots of stuff moving around on the screen.
Star Parodier

REALLY easy pick if you like Parodius and the Soldier series of shooters.
All the Bonks and Air Zonks in general...
Bonk 3 Hu-card vs Bonk 3 CD...just a rarity thing or is CD much better?

Pick either Air Zonk or Coryoon. Skip the CD Air Zonk title, as it's comparatively lackluster. If you can get the Gate of Thunder 3-in-1 pack-in, don't bother with Adventure and Revenge, as they are included. Otherwise, GET NOW. As for Bonk 3, take the HuCard version. The CD version has some extra 2 player stuff, but they had to remove some animation and graphical content due to having to pack each level into the SuperCD memory allocation. Hu version is generally considered superior, especially for single-player play.
Lords of Thunder...SCD or PCE?

PCE CD. The Sega CD has lesser graphics, redone music that is better dynamically balanced but less raw and sounds over-produced. Missing some of the nuance of the original. PCE version is better in every way.
Ninja Gaiden Ryukenden...SFC or PCE?

NES. SFC 3-in-1 cart has some weird errors (like an upside-down treeline in the background of one stage). PCE version tries to use dynamic tiles for extra background scrolling but ends up just making things look choppy. I'm sure some folks on here will disagree with me on this one.
Aero Blasters...MD or PCE?

Toss-up, I think. PCE version uses a better instrument set for the music and has a different, better track for level 2. Graphically, MD has some advantages. They play VERY similarly. It's all to your personal sense of taste, really. One of those rare 2 player shooters (both versions). In fact, the game has 2 powerful team-up attacks that require two players with good timing to execute.
Ninja Action, Ninja Warriors, Ninja Spirit, Samurai Ghost 1 and 2...any comments on any of them? Ninja Warriors looks like a pretty bad port - the others i'm not familiar with...

Ninja Spirit is a MUST. Fantastic game all around. Kaze Kiri/Ninja Action is also pretty good, though it gets a little repetitive at times due to the number of ninja you have to battle through. Shinobi-esque, but more beat 'em up in the gameplay. Skip the rest.

The rest of my recommendations are as follows:

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
PCE version is, I think, the best version prior to the GBA version.

Double Dragon 2
PCE version is fantastic fun. Plays similarly to the NES version but looks awesome. The soundtrack is a little polarizing, though.

Bomberman '93
I think this is the best version of Bomberman that isn't Saturn Bomberman.

Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Final Soldier
All fantastic shooters. Soldier Blade is often considered the best, but they are all good and all very different.

Nexzr/Nexzr Special
Awesome shooter from Kaneko. Under-appreciated due to being relatively obscure.

Cadash
Much better than the Genesis version (except perhaps for the music). Supports 2 players and has all 4 playable characters.

Dungeon Explorer
The bomb. Great music (Atlus sound engine), good graphics, and very Gauntlety play style. I don't like the sequel as much, as characters feel unwieldy until they power up their stats.

Galaga '88/'90
Galaga with extra awesome in it. Nuff said.

Alien Crush/Devil's Crush/Time Cruise II
All are great, but if you're not super into pinball, go for Devil's Crush. Awesome soundtrack and it has all sorts of interesting stuff going on on the table to interact with and pound on. If you discover you like Devil's Crush, try Time Cruise II for something even weirder. The game borders on abstract art at times.

Splatterhouse
Duh.

Dragon's Curse
Side scroller action/RPG. Very cool and underrated game.

Neutopia/II
Both games are worth it if you like Zelda-style stuff. The second is better, but both are great fun.

Ys I & II
Awesome if you can make peace with the bump-style gameplay. Some people can't deal with that. Best version of both games.

Ys III
Best soundtrack. Background scrolling uses dynamic tiles and can sometimes be a little janky, but I found the gameplay to be nicer than the SNES version. SNES version is easier. Can't compare the Genny version since I haven't played it. Have to admit, though, the SNES version is still a good version of the game.

Gradius/Life Force/Gradius II
If you are a super Konami shooter fan, you have to get these 3. Best pre-Saturn/PS1 versions of these titles. Otherwise, get the Sat/PS1 versions.

Legendary Axe/Makyo Densetsu
Must own. Solid platformer with a really need soundtrack. Some unique instrument use that was never really replicated in later games. Gameplay very reminiscent of Astynax.

Legendary Axe II/Ankoku Densetsu
Also a must own. Has nothing to do with Legendary Axe. Very different game. Still awesome music (but much creepier and oppressive) and very solid gameplay.

Military Madness/Neo Nectaris
Get. Must get. Get get get if you like this style of game AT ALL. Worth using a guide for the JPN menus to play the sequel, Neo Nectaris (which includes the HuCard original on the CD).

Psychosis/Paranoia
Creepy, psychedelic shooter. Not the best on the system, but certainly not bad. The visuals, atmosphere, and creepy music still make it an experience worth having.

R-Type
Best port of the 8 and 16-bit era.

Splash Lake
Cute action puzzler with saccharin music but pretty awesome gameplay. 100+ levels. Seriously. Atlus game, to boot. This requires mad skills on the later levels. Starts easy, but eventually you must learn to become one with your controller.

Spriggan
Awesome Compile shooter. One of the best regular CD shooters available. Similar gameplay style to M.U.S.H.A.

Spriggan Mk II
Side scrolling mech shooter. Almost like the Leynos games. Translation in the works at pcenginefx.

Startling Odyssey II
Great RPG. Translation patch available.

Ys IV
Very different from SFC version. Awesome music (who could have guessed?). Same bump combat as I & II. Translation patch available.

Emerald Dragon
Best version of the game. Translation just getting started at pcenginefx.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.