Akai Katana - High Scores Thread

2D Shooters Invade
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Re: Akai Katana - High Scores Thread

Post by skate323k137 »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Updated beatnix's score.

With a tear in my eye, not having the lowest score on the leaderboard may be my best shmup accomplishment ever.

You can always improve :) Practice, practice, practice.

I kinda miss this game... makes me wish I had a high def cabinet. Maybe when I get a new place I'll build one of those DIY vewlix type cabs and throw a 360 in that.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
studentzki
16-bit

Post by studentzki »

Decided to join the fun :)

297,727,345 - Stage 4 boss

EDIT:
Slash - Type 2
a.k.a. sombetzki
My arcade collection
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

^ :shock: ^

Put me on his team this year. He's slightly better than Brad.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
studentzki
16-bit

Post by studentzki »

Haha, thanks!... I've been away for quite some while, but always enjoyed the racketboy forums, so I decided to return! I'm in no way a really good player, but I like the scoring mechanisms of Akai Katana a lot. I should really dive into it one day ;)
a.k.a. sombetzki
My arcade collection
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

If you haven't already seen it, Ikaruga is on focus this month. It's the subject of both Together Retro and SotM. Jump on it and show off your skills if you have the game and the time to do so. :D
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
studentzki
16-bit

Post by studentzki »

I've seen it. I had the arcade version of Ikaruga in the past but I sold it :oops:

Right now I'm in the middle of some really extensive home improvement, which will take a few weeks. No time for a lot of gaming atm :(

I'll pass, but I'll post in some highscore threads when I've got the time. My DDP Resurrection needs to be submitted 8)

Already added a score to the Deathsmiles topic. One of my favourite shmups ever!
a.k.a. sombetzki
My arcade collection
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

studentzki wrote:Decided to join the fun :)

297,727,345 - Stage 4 boss

EDIT:
Slash - Type 2

Nice score, about time someone knocked me off of the top of this thread :)

I'm probably moving this month, but sooner than later I'll put in some more time w/this game.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Yes, I really need this one explained to me - I only put about half a dozen runs in and really struggled to grasp it.

Deathsmiles and Pro Gear are my 2 favorite HORI's so was quite excited for this one, but just haven't dove in yet...thinking it should be one of the games for this years Racket STGT.
studentzki
16-bit

Post by studentzki »

mjmjr25 wrote:Yes, I really need this one explained to me - I only put about half a dozen runs in and really struggled to grasp it.

Watch the intro videos good, they explain how it works. In short, collect steel orbs with autofire, switch to spirit mode, collect swords, switch back to plane mode (this makes you shoot the swords), collect points! Make sure you switch back to plane mode before your counter is empty or else you'll loose a lot of points.

Oh, and watch superplays. They show you when to switch and where to gain the most points!

Good luck!
a.k.a. sombetzki
My arcade collection
beatnix
64-bit

Post by beatnix »

You gotta give this one a go mike, I haven't played in a while but it's my favorite Cave title for the 360 by far. The scoring is extremely satisfying when you figure it out. It takes me a good dozen runs to get back to decent scores when i take time away from the game because there is a lot of button sequences that make it tough. But once you work it out it's pretty easy to start racking up points.

I also recal watching the tutorials on the disc and even some play through video on YouTube before I figured it out. It's worth the effort