2D Shooters Invade
Kevman
128-bit

Hardest Shmup boss ever?

Post by Kevman »

ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

That looks pretty difficult, good thing the hitbox is tiny or you woudn't last a second in those spiral bullet patterns.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

That boss from Futari is surely difficult! Cave games tend to look more difficult than they actually are. Don't get me wrong...they are still impossible for most humans to 1CC; but there are bosses like Raiden III's 7th boss...many less bullets but they move much faster and your hitbox is bigger.

That being said, my vote for most difficult shooter boss would be either the TLB from DoDonPachi or the TLB Mushihimesama (not Futari) on Ultra mode. Probably the one from Mushi. Here's a video, the guy dies and bombs a few times...but nobody's perfect, I guess. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP-mePr1-ZQ
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

I was thinking that some of the hardest bosses are on older games without the fast/tight control of newer games. Plus most of them have a bigger hitbox and bullets that are difficult to see and avoid. For example r-type 1 and 2, older Daruis games like Super Nova, Hellfire and early Gradius games. THey are especailly tricky because you have a checkpoint system and you don't respawn during a boss fight. You have to do in one life, which adds to the suspense and increases the difficutly quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong, Cave games and other bullet hell or manic shmups are still really chalanging even though they have tighter controls and absord/bomb systems. I just think the most difficult stuff is old school, the games are just brutal sometimes.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

I don't like bullet-hell shooters.
I'll second that the old R-Type bosses were damn hard...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, I can't stand bullet micro-management. The tiny little tap-tap dodges, weaving around bullet patterns. That's crap. Give me something that makes more sense. I don't mind having to rely on my reflexes, but that's insane.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I felt the same way until I played Radiant Silvergun. I set the lives to max and the difficult to easiest. Then I was able to play it long to actually learn it, and then my spinal cord took over. It's actually very rewarding once you can get in the zone and just let your thumbs do all the work. It's almost like being in the matrix. More like bullet heaven really.
Haoie
128-bit

Post by Haoie »

Hardest I've seen was the final boss of R-Type 3.

I don't think I ever beat it.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.