Panzer Dragoon Zwei screen cutoff (region patched)

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
y4m4h4

Panzer Dragoon Zwei screen cutoff (region patched)

Post by y4m4h4 »

I patched Panzer Dragoon Zwei from European to North American, and on the Saturn it works great... except the bottom, including health bar, is cut off. The widescreen/normal options don't help.

(And while I'm at it, does anyone have a correct cuesheet? The Game Over music is just a repeating click.)

Thanks!
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

This is most likely occuring because PAL games have more vertical scan lines then NTSC signals. Your TV is just cutting them off as over scan (most composite video signals are actually larger then what is on screen and the TV just cuts them off from around the edges). Because you patched the game, you just changed the region. The Saturn assumes it is NTSC, but the program continues to output PAL dimensions.

Fixes available...

Well the Saturn does not have a screen position setting... so you can't shrink the vertical draw area for it... to bad.

Your TV may have overscan settings. This is usually on HDTVs in the menu somewhere to shrink bring more of the cut off overscan areas into the viewing area. If your TV doesn't have such an option... that sucks. Maybe look for a firmware update that has it (if your TV has a CR232 input for firmware updates... again usually only on HDTVs)

Do you have an HDTV? If so it may support 50hz mode (PAL). Check your manual. If it does you can put a 50/60hz switch in your Saturn and play the game in 50hz mode and you'll get the full picture. It'll basically play like a PAL system. Your manual won't call it 50hz mode though... it will either say "supports PAL video formats" OR it will elude to it by telling you the resolutions it supports... look for 720X576 at 50hz interlaced.

Some PAL games have a screen adjuster built into it, Panzer Dragoon is not one of them.

If you have a standard definition TV... well tough luck. I know there are different external devices that change signals, the ways they work though are different and depend on how you output your signal... usually meaning you need to have the Saturn in PAL mode and not just the program.

When playing imported games form Europe to America, or vice versa there are tons of draw backs that occur which one must deal with. Be happy you aren't in Europe importing the other way around. Older TVs over there will make the game run slower, only display in black/white, have vertical black bars down the side or across the top and other annoyances. Your only getting a little bit of the screen cut off. Try downloading a US version.

I have one on my computer, but it is kinda big and not worth it to me to start a torrent for it. If you show me a storage place for me to upload it to for you, you can have it.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

i had the same problem too, but i just kinda dealt with it. the part i hated most was the subtitles getting cut off :?
y4m4h4

Post by y4m4h4 »

Dang, I figured it had something to do with the PAL thing. I have no HDTVs around, so that sort of fix won't work.... and I have dialup 90% of the time, but in th e10% of the time when I get to use broadband, I could download it. Now the only problem is finding somewhere that will store a file that big...

(looking now)
jdogg23

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Post by jdogg23 »

This may sound dumb but how did you region patch Panzer Dragoon Zwei. It is a Bin Cue file and I have only been able to
patch iso images.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Re: Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Post by lordofduct »

jdogg23 wrote:This may sound dumb but how did you region patch Panzer Dragoon Zwei. It is a Bin Cue file and I have only been able to
patch iso images.

He probably had a version that was an iso.

You know you can virtually mount a bin file as a virtual CD. Then rip the virtual CD as an ISO, and then region patch it and burn.

Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

my region patcher handles bin's too. You just gatta select it from the pulldown menu.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I just use a AR 4 in 1... but eh, whateva, too much work patching images.

Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

lordofduct wrote:I just use a AR 4 in 1... but eh, whateva, too much work patching images.

That works too, but I tend to unplug the AR when I dont need it. Speeds up boot time.