Saturn MOD chip lit saturn on FIRE!

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Mihoshiivy

Saturn MOD chip lit saturn on FIRE!

Post by Mihoshiivy »

Ok.. I finally got the mod chip to work...then low and behold..SMOKE started rising from it!! burning plastic scent everywhere I was like "umumum um um... whatdoidowhatdoidowhatdo---OH---turn it off!" And yeah.. I don't feel like turning it back on. Anyways... anyone know what might be causing this peice of machinery to light up on me? It worked fine without the mod chip... I didn't solder it, I bought it from someone here who had already done that, and twisted the red wire to an extra black wire, wraped some scotch tape around them to keep them together, then wedged the end of the wire into the second pin from the top area where you're supposed to. Started it up, it read the burned cd perfectly. (Although incorrectly, I need to know how to burn a bin/cue file of a sega rom propperly so it plays as a game and not a music cd).

And yeah! Help PLEASE! I filed the mod chip down to help it fit into the sega more easily.. like.. I'm wondering if the filed edges or file dust might have been what was smoldering?

Please, help, and thank you!

Mihoshiivy
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

what was this black wire?

Was it connected to anything?

It probably landed on something and shorted out. Would most likely be the source of smoke and burning plastic.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Mihoshiivy

Post by Mihoshiivy »

lordofduct wrote:what was this black wire?

Was it connected to anything?

It probably landed on something and shorted out. Would most likely be the source of smoke and burning plastic.

The smoke was coming from the modchip itself :\ the black wire isn't attatched to the modchip, it has the A+B method set up, and I used the black wire to attatch to the end of the red wire to get more of a reach to the little second pin to the top thingie (I honestly don't know what it is I just know the instructions say to put the wire there) I'm just..like it was serious smoke, like heavy.. I'm scared to restart it...
Mihoshiivy

Post by Mihoshiivy »

I also have the red and black wire connected with scotch tape. (twisted the ends together then taped them) would that effect the mod chip and make it freak out? and even if not, is that a bad thing to do regardless?
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

but if the black wire landed on anything it would of shorted out and sent that arced current back at the modchip frying it's fragile board.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Mihoshiivy

Post by Mihoshiivy »

lordofduct wrote:but if the black wire landed on anything it would of shorted out and sent that arced current back at the modchip frying it's fragile board.

The black wire is attatched securitly to the second pin from the top and taped to the red wire with no metal touching anything else :\
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Very strange, but also very funny.
Mihoshiivy

Post by Mihoshiivy »

Ok I really need help now.. I was trying to get the modchip to stop burning, or figure out why it was burning the mod chip itself gets physically VERY VERY hot..and then.. the center peice FELL OFF.. I think I'm going to cry now. Here's a pic that shows the peice that fell off

The deal is I have 2 weeks to get this thing modded and in canada for my boyfriends 1 year anniversary and like, I'm freaking out because I really should have shipped it yesterday and I really REALLY don't know what to do and like... I don't know how to solder, the mod chip I got was from user here who was reselling it because they had the wrong sega saturn model and couldn't use it and they'd just bought it from racketboy and racketboy was out of stock so I thought it was a Godsend at the time. And they'd already done the A+B method thankfully and like SOMEONE HELP ;__; Would plugging it back in until it stats smoking cause it gets so hot so i can shove the litle peice back on it be a good idea?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

wow -- this is indeed very strange.
Go ahead and send it back to me and I'll get you a new one.
Email me for details.
Mihoshiivy

Post by Mihoshiivy »

racketboy wrote:wow -- this is indeed very strange.
Go ahead and send it back to me and I'll get you a new one.
Email me for details.

Thank you so much, I sent you an email just now. I hope everything works out. *tries to breath*