What Do You Look For In A Good RPG

Level up here
racketboy
Site Admin

What Do You Look For In A Good RPG

Post by racketboy »

What characteristics do you think are important in a good RPG?

Personally, I like ones that aren't based around the typical fantasy stuff. I like Skies of Arcadia because it has a different style.

I like strategy like in the Shining Force games.

I also like a good Battle System like in Grandia 2.
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

the fantasy atmosphere is so played out. i really like earthbound's environment for that reason. unique battle systems are important as well, like i mentioned with panzer dragoon saga and now that you mention it racket, i did like the system in grandia 2 (though i never beat that game and haven't played it in years). though i sometimes find it tedious and annoying, the ability to backtrack is a must in an rpg. for some reason i'm prone to exploring towns/homes and talking to npc's for new dialogue
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

I look for a bang up story and a good system mainly. There is no point in playing an RPG if the "Role" is boring. If it is, you're left with shallow game mechanics and nothing more. It makes me kinda picky.

Also, FF12 left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope they never do one similar to that ever again.
Intangir
16-bit

Post by Intangir »

I generally have a strong aversion to high-fantasy which means I avoid games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and so on. You probably don't have enough money to convince me to read/watch/play something with Christopher Paolini's name on it.

Beyond that, great writing (dialog, story, etc) and great characters may be the most important pieces for me nowadays. Because of this I tend to prefer more-Western developed RPGs because JRPGs are often translated poorly. Great characters can really make an RPG truly memorable. Anachronox, for example, had great characters and I can remember them all very well. On the other hand you have something like Chrono Cross which had 50-odd characters and none of them interesting or memorable.

Naturally, since RPGs are pretty lengthy in nature, it certainly helps to have an evolving combat system throughout the game. Linearity vs Open-Endedness isn't an issue with me, I enjoy both although I tend to prefer a somewhere in between leaning towards linear since being truly open-ended often sacrifices great, memorable characters.

FAVORITE RPGS:
Planescape: Torment (1999)
Anachronox (2001)
Fallout 1, 2 (1997-1998)
Final Fantasy VI (1994) -- Let's not forget "incredible music" as another reason to love an RPG.
Wizardry 8 (2001)
Terranigma (1996)
Suikoden 2 (1999)

If you count RPG/FPS hybrids a la System Shock 2 (1999) or Deus Ex (2000) then those would definately be in there also.

PEEVES:
Silent Protagonists
Teenage Protagonists
Faux Decisions -- When an RPG gives you a choice to decide something, yet one either refuses to be carried out or they both are the same thing to begin with.
Prophetic Hero Nonsense
Cities with Excessive Apostrophes
Lame Plot Devices -- "Before we can get into his castle, we'll need to collect the 4 element stones to dispel the magical barrier!"
wyatt
32-bit

Post by wyatt »

Might not be popular amongst the in-crowd but I like the straight turn based numbers battles, outcome dependent on my dedication to min maxing throughout the game. Add in a little flair like differing abilities and combos and I'm good for 40 hours.
Let my legs shake me to sleep, and don't wake me when I sweat on my sheets.
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

I agree with most of the posts here, I like RPGs that aren't the traditional fantasy style. I also like a good storyline and I usually enjoy turn based battle systems.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I like the shorter, more potent RPG experiences. While I have loved much longer games, I no longer do as I lack patience and attention span, not to mention time. These days I want something shorter, sweeter, to the point. I don't want to build level after level, explore billions of meaningless dungeons. I want some key, exciting combats, creative storytelling, and NO ANGST!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.