Games Acquired 2024

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Games Acquired 2024

Post by Reprise »

I played some more of Slave Zero X. It's pretty good and very stylish, but I don't yet fully understand how to play :lol:

The game is really hard. Probably too hard for me. But I don't yet really understand the mechanics. The only thing I understand is the parry, but there's no way I will ever be able to pull it off. You have to push forward on the d-pad at the exact right moment when the enemy is about to attack, which is frankly nonsensical and the dumbest parry mechanic I have ever experienced.

The tutorial is pretty bad. It's very old school... So they throw a bunch of moves and mechanics at you, listing them one by one, and then just throw you into the game. There's special moves that you can pull off by switching quickly from light attack to heavy attack quickly, but I don't quite get it. You can't spam them, as you have to build up some kind of bar. There are also two moves you can do with both right shoulder buttons... Again, don't really understand what either do and can't seem to use either, because I assume I need to build up my bar, but can't work out how...

Despite the above, I managed to beat a level last night and get awarded an S rank :lol:

As for performance, yeah it does chug a bit at times. I can get why that might become an issue if you actually understand what you're doing and aren't just borderline button mashing like me.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

Whelp, I did it. I went back to my buddy's place to pick up a few more games. The ones I snagged included:
  • Contra (NES)
  • Wrecking Crew (NES)
  • Friday the 13th (NES)
  • Wizards & Warriors III (NES)
  • Frankenstein: The Monster Returns (NES) (complete)
  • Uninvited (NES) (complete)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
  • Nostalgia (DS)
  • The Wizard of OZ: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road (DS)
  • The Children of Mana (DS)
  • The Cruel King and the Great Hero (collector's edition) (Switch)
  • Wet (PS3)
  • Grandia Xtreme (PS2)
  • Nanobreaker (PS2)
  • Samurai Western (PS2)
  • Dawn of Mana (PS2)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (PS2)
  • Escape from Monkey Island (PS2)
  • Stretch Panic (PS2)
They're not shown here, but I also grabbed:
  • Shining Wisdom (Saturn)
  • Mado King Granzort (PCEngine)
  • An Analogue Pocket docking station
As per usual, I got them for a ludicrously low price. Remember, kids, take care of your friends. You never know when they'll give you thousands of dollars worth of retro video games for next to nothing.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Here's a great example of how stupid people are in 2024. You're looking for copies of Darksiders on the Switch with the black spine misprint. You find a seller who has a copy, he shows pictures of the front and back of the game, but not THE FRIKKING SPINE THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE SALE ITEM.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Reprise wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:37 am I played some more of Slave Zero X. It's pretty good and very stylish, but I don't yet fully understand how to play :lol:

The game is really hard. Probably too hard for me. But I don't yet really understand the mechanics. The only thing I understand is the parry, but there's no way I will ever be able to pull it off. You have to push forward on the d-pad at the exact right moment when the enemy is about to attack, which is frankly nonsensical and the dumbest parry mechanic I have ever experienced.

The tutorial is pretty bad. It's very old school... So they throw a bunch of moves and mechanics at you, listing them one by one, and then just throw you into the game. There's special moves that you can pull off by switching quickly from light attack to heavy attack quickly, but I don't quite get it. You can't spam them, as you have to build up some kind of bar. There are also two moves you can do with both right shoulder buttons... Again, don't really understand what either do and can't seem to use either, because I assume I need to build up my bar, but can't work out how...

Despite the above, I managed to beat a level last night and get awarded an S rank :lol:

As for performance, yeah it does chug a bit at times. I can get why that might become an issue if you actually understand what you're doing and aren't just borderline button mashing like me.
Ok, so I played some more last night. Re-read the tutorial and practiced a bit and I understand some of the mechanics more.

And also, I did another level and oh boy did the performance really go downhill. It's not good, guys. I'd hesitate to say it's completely unplayable, but it really does become difficult to play when it is absolute chaos, there are a million enemies and the framerate is just all over the place. It must be flicking between the late teens/early 20s right up to about 50fps at times. They need to cap it at 30fps maybe, or have some major graphical downgrades with the unlocked framerate. I don't even know if that's possible. The game is hardly some graphical masterpiece, although I like the style.

I am regretting not ordering the PS5 version instead. I might even sell it whilst it's new and still has some value on the second hand market and then wait for a sale to buy the PS5 version.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Yikes! My copy arrived yesterday, and it’s still sealed. I’ll leave it that way until either the game has been patched more or I sell it to fund the purchase of another version.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

Note wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:33 pm
Syndicate wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:57 pm ...so for those still looking to grab a copy of Castle Crashers Remastered, VGP has copies available.
Thanks for the heads up on this, Syndicate! I had a tough time finding a copy, so will probably grab it from here.

Edit: VGP is only shipping to Canadian addresses, but the Behemoth store has copies available again too. I was able to order one from there!
...I'm sorry about that Note, I just saw the update in an email and saw it at their site as well. I didn't realize that it was only available to Canadian addresses, it's cool that you were able to secure a copy though.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Syndicate wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:44 pm ...I'm sorry about that Note, I just saw the update in an email and saw it at their site as well. I didn't realize that it was only available to Canadian addresses, it's cool that you were able to secure a copy though.

No worries at all. I'm glad you mentioned it, otherwise, I would've never known the game was available again.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Got physical copies of Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, The Pathless (iam8bit exclusive version), Narita Boy (new PEGI release with new cover), Gato Robato (with the patched cartridge), Gunborg: Dark Matters, Inscryption, the iam8bit version of Sea of Stars, and Pronty for the Switch

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So some places are offering slip covers for the Paper Mario Thousand Door remake. What's weird is that one side of the slipcover is LITERALLY the Gamecube cover...for a Switch game

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I picked up Little Big Planet 2 Special Edition this week. Only North America received the special edition with DLC on the disc (Europe received a slightly different special version, with slightly different DLC, the DLC wasn't on the disc...)

January 2024:
Project Overkill (PS1)
Under Defeat (Dreamcast)
Bleach: The Blade of Fate (DS)
Killzone (PS2)
Gungrave (PS2)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
Red Dog (Dreamcast)
Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
February 2024:
Ring of Red (PS2)
Return Fire (PS1)
Cuphead (Switch)
Ren & Stimpy Show Presents Stimpy's Invention (Mega Drive)
Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep (Wii)
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Mega Drive)
Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)
March 2024:
Outrun (Mega Drive)
The Suffering (PS2)
Project Zero III: The Tormented (PS2)
Killzone 2 (PS3)
God of War 3 (PS3)
Hogs of War (PS1)
Need for Speed Underground 2 (PS2)
Grandia 2 (Dreamcast)
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (SNES)
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown (Switch)
April 2024:
Legends of Wrestling II (Gamecube)
Showdown Legends of Wrestling (PS2)
Pokemon Snap (N64)
The Firemen (SNES)
Seaman (Dreamcast)
Darksiders II: The Deathinitive Edition (Switch)
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (PS5)
Stellar Blade (PS5)
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (PS3)
Heavenly Sword (PS3)
Simpsons Hit and Run (Gamecube)
Silent Hill 4: The Room (PS2)
May 2024:
L.O.L. Lack of Love (Dreamcast)
Worms 4: Mayhem (PS2)
Driver San Francisco (PS3)
Rage (PS3)
Duke Nukem 64 (N64)
Gex (Saturn)
Mega Man X (SNES)
F-Zero (SNES)
World Driver Championship (N64)
Bleach: Dark Souls (DS)
Slave Zero X (Switch)
Little Big Planet 2: Special Edition (PS3)