Do you have a light-gun set-up?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Do you have a light-gun set-up?

Post by Jagosaurus »

27" RCA CRT in my case for NES & Saturn light gun games.

My PS2 is hooked up via component to this CRT & to my knowledge the PS2 guns won't work as they tap into the video composite cable.

As mentioned, the Wii works great for light gun games & of course works with flat pannels. Solid LG shooter library as well with House of the Dead 2/3, HoD Overkill, Dead Space Extraction, Ghost Squad, RE Chronicles. Sure I'm missing a ton.

Worth noting the CDi light gun will work on flat screens as well. It also uses a form of IR versus the tube IIRC. Way ahead of its time.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Jagosaurus wrote:My PS2 is hooked up via component to this CRT & to my knowledge the PS2 guns won't work as they tap into the video composite cable.

Couldn't you just hook the light gun into the TV's Video Out port and have them work? I feel like I've read this somewhere.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

TSTR wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:My PS2 is hooked up via component to this CRT & to my knowledge the PS2 guns won't work as they tap into the video composite cable.
Couldn't you just hook the light gun into the TV's Video Out port and have them work? I feel like I've read this somewhere.
If your PS2 is not in 480p mode
Based on your TV description, I suspect even with component input, it is only capable of 480i which makes for ideal retro light gunning. You can get the official PS1 or PS2 video adapter which allows both component and composite cables both hooked up. Plug the Lightgun yellow video to the composite output of the adapter and your PlayStation component cable to the regular PSX AV output. I use the adapter for playing a game component 480p on my HD CRT or when viewing in 480i mode on the a small console topper LCD when installing hard drive games. No need for switching cables, both stay plugged in. :mrgreen:

The Lightgun Composite Tee also can be connected between one of the Component Cables (three chances of which color Green I think) and still work as long as the TV is a Standard Definition 480i Tube and the PS2 is not set to 480p.

The Guncon 2 can also work in 480p mode, but ONLY on ED CRT TVs which I have yet to discover in the wild.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Correct, it's 480i over component on my RCA Tru Flat.

So I use the guns composite adapter with one of the 3 component video cables & it'll work, just try all 3 until I find which?

That official adapter set up is blowing my mind. So the gun still gets the signal needed from the composite out & will still pass a component signal through the proprietary AV out with PS2 component cables? I thought somehow it'd be one or the other.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
LCDSCREEN
16-bit

Post by LCDSCREEN »

Jagosaurus wrote:Correct, it's 480i over component on my RCA Tru Flat.

So I use the guns composite adapter with one of the 3 component video cables & it'll work, just try all 3 until I find which?

That official adapter set up is blowing my mind. So the gun still gets the signal needed from the composite out & will still pass a component signal through the proprietary AV out with PS2 component cables? I thought somehow it'd be one or the other.

It's the green one. Plug it into the green one. I have a setup running with that right now, actually...

I'm glad I checked to see if this thread was a thing because I'm on a mad light gun shooter kick. I lugged a big-ass CRT with component input from my old house to an apartment I'm renting out specifically for this reason. I used to be obsessed with Time Crisis 2, I've played it for god knows how many hours and I'm trying to branch out into getting serious about other games.

It's been an interesting trip. I find it particularly upsetting that the average players/reviewers views of rail shooters are so low. "It's good to kill an afternoon, I guess." "Quarter spammed my way through, shit was too easy." etc etc.

So, it's refreshing to see other people that are passionate about the games.