Why is Daytona USA 2 far less popular than the original?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
d123456
Next-Gen

Re: Why is Daytona USA 2 far less popular than the original?

Post by d123456 »

Never seen a d2 in the wild. Dunno why this was not pushed more to operators. Maybe because d1 was and is still making enough money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

d123456 wrote:Never seen a d2 in the wild. Dunno why this was not pushed more to operators. Maybe because d1 was and is still making enough money

I read the other day that the Model 3 hardware was very expensive for the time and was a reason for why, for example, Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram wasn't released in the US and (apparently) Virtua Fighter 3 didn't saw a wide release there, either.

I also heard that it's not a matter of changing the PCB between D1 and D2, that there are additional changes to be made but it seems unlikely.

I do wonder if the release of Dance Dance Revolution impacted this somewhat as it's another expensive machine that was released the same year.

fastbilly1 wrote:Because Daytona 1 still exists in 8 player mode

Are there any more modern arcade games that go that far? I can't think of any that allows for so many players, Wangan stops at 4 IIRC.

racketboy wrote:When Daytona 2 showed up, it was -- oh cool a new Daytona! But it wasn't like OH WOW THIS AMAZING NEW ARCADE RACER!

Yeah, I always forget it was released in 1993 for that reason :lol:

Interestingly enough it has less polygons on screen than Virtua Racing, it just textures!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

While at the F1 race in Austin, we stopped by a Dave and Busters for something to do in the rain. Got a full 8 player game of Daytona USA going.

It's still cool as shit.

I didn't even know Daytona 2 existed. I want to play it now though.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Erik_Twice wrote:
racketboy wrote:When Daytona 2 showed up, it was -- oh cool a new Daytona! But it wasn't like OH WOW THIS AMAZING NEW ARCADE RACER!

Yeah, I always forget it was released in 1993 for that reason :lol:

Interestingly enough it has less polygons on screen than Virtua Racing, it just textures!

Ha! I didn't know that, but it makes sense as I think about it -- thanks for sharing :)