It's okay to be you..

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Re: It's okay to be you..

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Graphics? Huh. Lots of old games are more aesthetically pleasing than lots of new games. But new games can be pretty too. I mean...Legend of Mana has way better graphics than Battlefield. Just putting that out there.

Sometimes people make fun of me for playing old stuff, but I can make fun of them for playing new stuff and it's always Mario World that gets pulled out at parties :P
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

dsheinem wrote:wasn't sure if I wanted to put this in the Male Prvilege thread or here, but this seems like as good a spot as any:

http://mohandasgandhi.tumblr.com/post/1 ... le-brother

What an awesome story.

I recently read a book that discusses how all self-imposed social limitations are just that: limitations. We all limit our choices every day for irrational reasons, such as what other people will think or what we have been told by others is the "right" thing. The colour you paint your house, the type of clothes you wear, the type of music you listen to… the list goes on. Being free of these artificial limitations will someday be the norm for our civilization, but we have a long way to go.

In the meantime, paint your house in polka dots, wear the other gender's clothes sometimes, or play a game that gets bad reviews. Concern yourself with what you truly want and less time with what other people think you should want.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

dsheinem wrote:wasn't sure if I wanted to put this in the Male Prvilege thread or here, but this seems like as good a spot as any:

What an awesome story.
Yay. Lovely story.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

There was one time when I went to a yard sale and found a Nintendo game organizer thingy in the box and I was all excited. So I go to pay for it and this douche bag says to my girlfriend "You don't need to get him that Nintendo, he needs to get off of his ass and get a job." I laughed it off but after a while it really bugged me. I wonder how he would've felt about making that comment if he knew I wasn't a boy (and plus it wasn't a Nintendo :roll: ). haha

I think it's probably safe to say though, that if I wasn't like a "tomboy/lesbian" (I prefer not to use the word dyke), I probably wouldn't get nearly as much shit as I do for various things. But I just like what I like and do what I do. I don't make fun of the dumb shit other people like. I just sit at home and play some vidja games.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

What an awesome story.

Thanks goodness some people in that family obviously have their head on straight. Dad sure doesn't.
Radical Lanzar
24-bit

Post by Radical Lanzar »

HELLO?

You weren't alive during the 8-bit era and the console wars? Back then adults frowned on children talking about which games they conquered. Video games were violent and for social outcasts. People have tried to ban violence, gore, and even outright banning all gaming. Now look, video games are mainstream despite popular opinion. It's no different from comics, Dungeons & Dragons and that devil's box known as the radio.

As far as the console wars go, we've had far worse than just 'flack'. All out name calling to laundry lists and debates as to why a specific console or game is better. This went beyond ignorance to elitism with justification. That's pretty sad.
1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4, - 19, 65, 9, 17, - 4, 1, 2, 6,
Hyp81
16-bit

Post by Hyp81 »

Ivo wrote:People should not care so much about what other random people think about them or about what they do.

It is a pity that there are so many judgemental people out there that think negatively of someone else for the most ridiculous reasons (such as "he collects old videogames", as if that was a character flaw).

+1

I try to be completely non-judgmental when it comes to what other folks enjoy. It may not be my particular cup of tea, but if it makes them happy who am I to judge??

As a coworker of mine used to say... if we all liked the same things, the world would be a very boring and EXPENSIVE place!
NES~SNES~Genesis+32X~SegaCD~Atari Jaguar~N64~Saturn~PS1~Dreamcast~Game Cube~PS2~Wii~XBox 360~XBox One
Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES), Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (GameCube)
Hyp81
16-bit

Dear Customer....

Post by Hyp81 »

Saw this article on Facebook and thought it was great!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristen-w ... 90690.html
NES~SNES~Genesis+32X~SegaCD~Atari Jaguar~N64~Saturn~PS1~Dreamcast~Game Cube~PS2~Wii~XBox 360~XBox One
Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES), Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (GameCube)
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Re: Dear Customer....

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

I loved this comment.
Yeah, this story was very touching. Nothing like watching an older brother completely undemind and dishonor his father in front of his younger sibling. Especially when he let ol' pops know that it was "his money" and the father was going to have no say in what the younger boy was and was not to have. I wonder where the 17 year old got the money and if he would have had to spend if his dad wasn't paying for room, board, probably auto insurance and a cell phone to boot. The lesson here is that we have to ungrateful children who dishonored their father in public and a bunch of commentato­rs that have put themselves on a moral plateau because they believe that a father should not set boundaries for a 12 year-old boy. Way to go America.

His ability to see it from the other side makes me instantly like him. The way he worded it almost makes me want to agree with him.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Re: Dear Customer....

Post by Inazuma »

I read this story the other day and it was awesome. Boys don't have to be super manly and violent all the time. There is nothing wrong with liking the color purple or wanting to play as girls in video games. It's a good thing that kid has such a good older brother like that. Sounds like the father is extremely homophobic.