Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Both games are great.

Both games are great, sure. I simply think one looks to be funner than the other. That's all there was to it. An expression of personal opinion. You could have left this alone at the obvious. But instead you chose to be passive aggressively snarky by questioning my belief and then undermining it with "you haven't played either". Never said I did. I haven't played either one. But I've played enough games to know if I'll like them by watching videos and reading reviews. That tends to come with experience after having played video games for almost 35 years now.

Oh come off your high horse! I've been playing video games for almost 35 years as well and guess what? My opinion of games is no better than anyone elses. I'm gonna drop the fact that you think one game is better than another. I'll leave it at that.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

It's just fine to have opinions before playing a game, but that opinion isn't validated until you actually experience it. No other person's opinion can validate your opinion. Only personal experience can do that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I'm gonna drop the fact that you think one game is better than another.

marurun wrote:No other person's opinion can validate your opinion. Only personal experience can do that.

Thanks dad.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:No other person's opinion can validate your opinion. Only personal experience can do that.

Thanks dad.

Maru's right, though.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

dsheinem wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:That H:ZD kicks ass, that's it's a thoroughly modern action-adventure-RPG, and that I'd rather play it then BotW.

Not sure where you derived the last point from Dsh's post. Everything he said is true and I still put the game down for Zelda.

I did prefer playing it over BotW...but then immediately last night picked up BotW again since I had finished the main campaign in H:ZD.

BotW is a charming game and an exceedingly excellent Zelda title in its own right, but H:ZD just offers a lot more refinement of some similar mechanics, a brand new world to explore with a compelling story that drives you to do so, etc. It is hard for me not to compare them, but I thought Popo did a good job explaining his take on their different approaches to the open world here. (I would disagree that H:ZD has only "light traversal" though, and I think its lines of sight are even more compelling towards exploration than BotW.)

HZD does have some really impressive vistas, but once you get into the western part of the map and the rises become more vertical you're spending more time on the ground, with the occasional pre-placed "you can climb here" set of handholds. Zelda's "climb everything" design has meant I've spent most of my time at high elevations and consequently I've been seeing a greater quantity of things I want to check out. That difference is where I came up with the "light traversal" phrase; there's a bunch of setpieces in HZD where you do some really fun climbing, but then other times you just are running around looking for a ramp or looking for that set of handhelds in a large cliff face, while Zelda combines two simple building blocks of climbing everything and the paraglider to feel to me more free. I think some of that also comes from the difference in design philosophy around how to present the open world collectables. HZD is a more traditional setup of getting spammed with map notes of "here's stuff to do", whereas Zelda forces you to discover every single one on your own. So I feel more encouraged to randomly explore shit. But I'll admit up front that I am very goal oriented when I play open world games; I don't get much out of just checking out a new area for the hell of it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

*NEW* 1. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - PC (March 9)

Another TC game down and my first game beaten in 2017. This one was billed as a part prequel and part sequel, taking place before the events of the first RSV and then continuing where RSV left off. Many of the same features such as the cover system and the real time information feeds return. In addition to weapons, you now have a choice of armor in each mission, deciding whether you want more protection or mobility. Once again you visit even more locations in Vegas, and once again you're treated with more in-game ads for things like Major League Gaming, Dodge, and Comcast internet. If you liked the first game give it a try.

Also what the heck did I walk into? I hope this was the Games Beaten thread...
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I remain amazed by you guys that buy games right and launch and roll through them in a matter of days. In the meantime I'm dusting off some of my neglected SNES carts, trying to decide which ones to play next.

I am stoked about Breath of the Wild though. Could this be the 2017 game I actually play in 2017? Time will tell.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Could this be the 2017 game I actually play in 2017?

don't you sometimes play new (current year) Steam indie games?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I remain amazed by you guys that buy games right and launch and roll through them in a matter of days. In the meantime I'm dusting off some of my neglected SNES carts, trying to decide which ones to play next.

Not to disparage anyone's buying habits, but I feel the same way. I've artificially imposed a cutoff point on myself... not buying any new systems for at least three years. Trying to take time and enjoy what I've already got. (To be honest I'd need ten years at least to do that.)

Glad everybody is enjoying the new Zelda though, and I mean that sincerely. Looking forward to the barrage of BotW reviews we'll be seeing here soon. It'll be interesting to contrast everyone's opinions.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'm a technophile, so I love being up on the latest tech.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.