Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by D.D.D. »

AppleQueso wrote:N64 controller is fine
I find it more comfortable than both the Dreamcast controller and oXbox controller.

I'd agree. At least the N64 controller never felt like the dpad was going to stab my thumb with its sharp corners.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Haha, Beatrix Russell after hew new job. Wow. :lol: :shock: That was unexpected.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Seeing my love for World War II games on the Cube as of late, I am wondering how they are marketed in Europe, particularly Germany, if they're at all released there? I remember the story with Wolfenstein 3D over there. Then again, Capcom had the foresight to release the 19XX series with the lone American pilot taking down all sorts of Japanese ships :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Flake

Post by Flake »

gtmtnbiker wrote:How many times do you think you played it? I can see myself playing it a second time one day but that's it. I still need to play all of the console Zeldas. I've yet to finish one but I'm about halfway through OOT. I did complete all of the handheld versions.

At least fifteen times. I lost count. There are only three games I have beaten more often: Megaman X, Megaman X4, and Super Metroid. And with those games we are talking well into the double digits of number of times cleared.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

ExedExes wrote:Seeing my love for World War II games on the Cube as of late, I am wondering how they are marketed in Europe, particularly Germany, if they're at all released there? I remember the story with Wolfenstein 3D over there. Then again, Capcom had the foresight to release the 19XX series with the lone American pilot taking down all sorts of Japanese ships :lol:

Any Germans here can correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, anything nazi related is a no no in Germany because it's a dark part of the country's history, not because germans are nazis and refuse to play games where nazis are bad guys. They are way more strict about that stuff than people anywhere else (except maybe Israel). Like you can make a swastika t-shirt or album cover if you want in America and nothing can really stop you while it's illegal in Germany. Holocaust denial and SS marks are also illegal in Germany.
The German and Austrian postwar criminal code makes the public showing of the Hakenkreuz (the swastika) and other Nazi symbols illegal and punishable, except for scholarly reasons. It is even censored from the illustrations on boxes of model kits, and the decals that come in the box

German politicians have called for Nazi symbols to be banned throughout Europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Germany[
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4178643.stm

I dont know about Germany, but WW2 games like that sold pretty well where I live. Many WW2 shooters on PC are/used to be very popular, like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, Day of Defeat and Day of Defeat Source and Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 There also quite a lot of WW2 strategy games. I used to be really into the whole WW2 stuff when I was like 13-14. You can check ebay.de for games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty on PS2, there's plenty of games on sale there.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Balasubbie
128-bit

Post by Balasubbie »

My wife once worked as a tester for a games-publishing company and the staff tended to hate localizing the German version, meticulously combing through a game to cite any remotely controversial element for the German market.
Flake

Post by Flake »

When exactly did the Kingdom Hearts turn into total shit? I remember the first game being decent.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Good answers you guys, thanks. I also noticed on the credits screens that they had a lot of people in charge of the distribution or development or marketing exclusively for Germany, no doubt because of what you all said about the symbols and such. Good to know that they can at least play the games too and that they sell particularly well. Too bad they have to go through all that cleaning up though.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

Flake wrote:When exactly did the Kingdom Hearts turn into total shit? I remember the first game being decent.

I could never take an RPG seriously where Mickey Mouse and freaking Goofy show-up. What's next? God of War meets the Looney Tunes?
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BurningDoom wrote:
Flake wrote:When exactly did the Kingdom Hearts turn into total shit? I remember the first game being decent.

I could never take an RPG seriously where Mickey Mouse and freaking Goofy show-up. What's next? God of War meets the Looney Tunes?

worse: