PSP Model Comparisons - Notes for Choosing ideal model

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

PSP Model Comparisons - Notes for Choosing ideal model

Post by racketboy »

I'm trying to finish up my PSP Beginner's Guide...

Edit: now published -- but feel free to give more feedback!
https://www.racketboy.com/retro/playsta ... ners-guide

Here's my rough notes on comparing the different PSP models. Any major points I seem to be missing? I'm trying to make it quickly digestible to help make decisions on what model for a newbie to buy

Props to opa for getting this breakdown started!

PSP-1000
* Physically bigger unit. Slower processing.
* Solid construction, but can feel bulky

PSP- 2000
* Slimmer design. More plasticity feeling. Faster processing.
* Marketed in PAL regions as PSP Slim
* The “more plastic” feel of the device did reduce the weight of the unit for theoretically increased portability.

PSP-3000
* New screen tech, but not without its issues…
* Was marketed in PAL regions as “PSP Slim & Lite”or “PSP Brite”
* The new LCD screen was touted as having an increased color range, five times the contrast ratio, and anti-reflective technology to reduce outdoor glare (among other spec bumps)
* However, with this new screen, gamers noticed interlacing problems when objects were in motion. This issue was never resolved.

PSP Go / PSP-N1000
* Complete redesign of the handheld
* Has slide-out controls with re-arranged placements, It also ends up having less grip-able area.
* No optical disc drive but you could hack the system and copy games to it;
* The unit is 43% lighter and 56% smaller than the original PSP-1000, and 16% lighter and 35% smaller than the PSP-3000.
* This model adds support for Bluetooth connectivity, which enables the playing of games using a Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controller.

PSP Street
* Odd PAL-only revision that was a bit of an anti-PSP go
* UMD is back but no WiFi so not even local multiplayer worked, reminds me a lot of the Wii Mini.
* The most barebones version of your hardware was released late on to grab a few last-minute sales

Playstation Vita as an Option
With the hardware weaknesses mentioned above, there are a lot of reasons to be turned off by the PSP’s hardware. However, a modded Playstation Vita running Adrenaline is a great way to play through PSP games now. The graphic options, save states, battery life, and second analog stick are just so much of an upgrade.
opa
128-bit

Re: PSP Model Comparisons - Notes for Choosing ideal model

Post by opa »

An aside to the vita- PS TV, the home console-ized version of the handheld. HDMI output, compatible with PS3 (& ps4?) controllers. Same hacks as the regular Vita but can use external USB drives for file storage.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I would add notes to each model for TV out and modding.

PSP-1000 does not have TV out capability, but the 2000 and 3000 do.

Pretty sure the PSP-2000 was also marketed in the States as the PSP Slim. IIRC, the 2000 was the model I purchased and I remember it being called Slim at the time.

All PSP models can be hacked with CFW (custom firmware), but not all models can have it permenately installed. Here's a few quick links with some good info. I can research more later.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/9 ... rmanently/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/c ... o_run_cfw/

Second link has some really good quick info on the screens as well...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/c711kp/whats_the_best_psp_model_to_run_cfw/ wrote:32 mb on 1k might be problematic for some homebrew or emulators. It has IR port though so any homebrew that uses IR port will only work on 1k.

The rest of the models have 64 mb ram. Internally there is no other internal upgrade between models aside from Go and Go only has Bluetooth as extra. So game, emulator and performance is the same for these models.

PSP screen debate can be summed as this. 1k has the worst screen. Depending on your tolerance to interlacing issue 3k has the best. If you hate interlacing and can stomach a little ghosting with not so vibrant screen 2k has the best. If you hate both ghosting and interlacing, Go has the best screen as it eliminates both problems. Street screen is for people that hate interlacing and vibrant colors of 3k, but also can't handle the ghosting of 2k.

As a side note Vita with its both models have better screen than all PSP models.

edit: So what I gather from the above...

PSP-1000
-Has the worst looking screen of all models
-Has 32MB of RAM (all other models have 64MB of RAM)

PSP-2000
-Screen is not interlaced, but slight ghosting

PSP-3000
-Screen has no ghosting, but is interlaced
-Vibrant colors

PSP Go
-Best screen of all models

PSP Street
-No ghosting, interlacing or vibrant colors
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, this looks like a good overview of PSP hacking: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/a ... asic_info/

Here's a good overview of the specs of different models:

Already touched on the screen and RAM. They all have the same CPU, by the way, so the 1000 doesn't have slower processing. But I'm not sure how half the RAM makes a difference for retails games. Perhaps there's some issues there? The RAM is probably important for emulators, I would imagine.

Looks like the only other noteworthy difference between models is the battery. 1000 comes with 1800mAh, 2000 and 3000 come with 1200mAh. All three are upgradable to a 2200mAh battery (this was officially released by Sony as an extended life battery). The Go and Street models do not have a removable battery. This is important to know because not only can you not upgrade to a higher capacity, but when the battery eventually fails it may be hard or impossible to replace.

I think hacking is a very important part of the PSP. Not only does it allow you to play backups of PSP and PS1 games, it also allows you to load homebrew apps including emulators. This makes the PSP a very attractive portable device. Not only can you dump music and videos onto the SD card, but if it's hacked you can also dump PSP and PS1 games on there, as well as emulators and ROMs.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Excellent info additions -- thank you!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The 3000 screen is much better than the 2000, but that doesn't matter anymore now that there's drop-in IPS replacements. I found it harder to get a decent reshell. They were all flimsy and warped.
Also, a Vita can play PSP games much better that a PSP can due to its far superior screen technology and 4:1 perfect screen resolution. If modded, enhancements available through plugins can do some great things too. It's emulated somewhat, but the experience is much better overall. Similarly, a modded PSTV can do some even better things with the video out, and video control plugins.
I still love the original for its heft - it's like the 'Duke' Xbox controller. So substantial.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage