What's a good keyboard that wont empty my wallet?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Nyukki
128-bit

Re: What's a good keyboard that wont empty my wallet?

Post by Nyukki »

TSTR wrote:Best way to inspect a keyboard at a thrift store is to hold it upside down over your face to get a good look at the keys. Trust me.

And let all the crumbs fall on your face?! No thanks.
Weekend shmupper
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

The K120 is pretty good.

I've had the K200 for about three years now. It's got no signs of slowing down. The only difference between the K120 and the K200 is the K200 has media keys, otherwise it's virtually identical.

You could get a much worse keyboard for more money, that's for sure.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Nyukki wrote:
TSTR wrote:Best way to inspect a keyboard at a thrift store is to hold it upside down over your face to get a good look at the keys. Trust me.

And let all the crumbs fall on your face?! No thanks.

Aw man, you ruined my prank! :mrgreen:
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

IBM Model M 4 LYFE!

Your life, my life, your children's life. Certainly not the keyboard's life, it will outlive all of us and still work when the sentient roaches take over the world.

Now granted, it's completely not what you're looking for - it's horribly loud, it has no extraneous keys (you don't miss the right-click and windows keys, believe me), and it's fairly pricey... but it's the only keyboard for me. I have a small stockpile of them in case I ever decide to have multiple computers running again in my house, and I would never part with them. Something about using a keyboard that's almost as old as I am (I think the one I use primarily is from 87? I'm from 82)

Truly though, it's a thing of beauty. I used to wear out 10 dollar keyboards about every 18 months until I started typing on Model M's. Now I could bludgeon an intruder to death with my keyboard and still type up his obituary.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Write someones obituary with the murder weapon... interesting. :lol:

I really would miss the Windows and right-click keys. I use them all the time, and have been for years now, so at this point they'd be sorely missed.

Also, I need a quiet keyboard. I'm not sure if it's just me, and this is gonna sound like a weird problem if it is, but... When I wake up in the morning my hearing is really sensitive for a while. Everything is super loud and anything louder than a whisper really pisses me off. So for all the times that I'll be doing early morning typing, I NEED a quiet keyboard. It will literally make me angry if I don't have one.

There, now you all have a clue as to how insane I am.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Is it weird that I don't know what a right click key is, yet have made it 33 years?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I don't know what that key's official name is, but it gives you the same function as the right mouse button.

Without that key, you can hit shift+F10 for the same effect, but I think the dedicated key is easier. And also, those old keyboards without Windows and right-click keys look like they're missing buttons!
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Ziggy587 wrote:Image

I don't know what that key's official name is, but it gives you the same function as the right mouse button.

Without that key, you can hit shift+F10 for the same effect, but I think the dedicated key is easier. And also, those old keyboards without Windows and right-click keys look like they're missing buttons!

Heh call me a crotchety old man, but I think the keyboards WITH them look overpopulated!

And Windows key is ctrl-escape
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

KalessinDB wrote:IBM Model M 4 LYFE!

Your life, my life, your children's life. Certainly not the keyboard's life, it will outlive all of us and still work when the sentient roaches take over the world.

Now granted, it's completely not what you're looking for - it's horribly loud, it has no extraneous keys (you don't miss the right-click and windows keys, believe me), and it's fairly pricey... but it's the only keyboard for me. I have a small stockpile of them in case I ever decide to have multiple computers running again in my house, and I would never part with them. Something about using a keyboard that's almost as old as I am (I think the one I use primarily is from 87? I'm from 82)

Truly though, it's a thing of beauty. I used to wear out 10 dollar keyboards about every 18 months until I started typing on Model M's. Now I could bludgeon an intruder to death with my keyboard and still type up his obituary.

Totally agree, a tank of a keyboard. Some of the vintage Model Ms come with a Windows Key; I have three of them myself.

@ ziggy - They are really not that loud. I would say halfway between a regular keyboard and the click of micro switches in older arcade sticks.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I think it's the Context Menu or just Menu key.