What's a good keyboard that wont empty my wallet?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: What's a good keyboard that wont empty my wallet?

Post by CRTGAMER »

Hobie-wan wrote:If you have time to poke around Goodwills and such, maybe you can score a Dell branded GYUM90SK one like I use. They're easy to spot from the end if you're looking at a shelf stacked with keyboards. They are PS2 plug though. It is noisier than a crappy rubber dome one, but only from the switches bottoming out, so loudness depends on how hard you press on the keys. I haven't found any more since that batch of them I sold a while back.

Agree, hit the Thrift Stores, you can play with the keys to find one you like and a very good price.

@ Hobie - Surprised you did not mention the IBM "tank" keyboard. I thought that Dell was the L100 with the large spacebar, but I see the keyboard you recommended looks similiar to the very solid IBM classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

The Dell L100 does have a nice feel, and is almost the standard layout. It does give a little more compactness while maintaining good size keys. Works great when one is tired of the Laptop flat keys and not enough room in front for a full sized keyboard.

I have a preference for a PS/2 style plug keyboard for the Desktop or Tower though. The PS/2 will always work when there are USB driver issues that might pop up when adding additional USB devices.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

GamerMON
Next-Gen

Post by GamerMON »

Would like a better keyboard myself. Better head to the thrift store. Way to cheap to buy any over $15 and I have a spare so no reason to go out and get a mechanical ps/2 keyboard. Even though that would free up an extra usb so I could leave my phone plugged into my pc.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Best way to inspect a keyboard at a thrift store is to hold it upside down over your face to get a good look at the keys. Trust me.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

CRTGAMER wrote:@ Hobie - Surprised you did not mention the IBM "tank" keyboard. I thought that Dell was the L100 with the large spacebar, but I see the keyboard you recommended looks similiar to the very solid IBM classic.

Ziggy said he didn't want loud. the M is very loud and also older, so harder to find in the wild. The Dell you pictured is not the one I'm talking about. I specifically meant the GYUM90SK.

Anyway, I've already bugged Ziggy and proselytised about it enough this week.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That IBM also doesn't have Windows keys or a right-click key. That right there automatically disqualifies it for me.

That black Dell USB keyboard though, I've used those before. I had one for a little over a year and liked it. They're decent feeling when they're new. The problem with them is, they seem to wear out too quickly.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It's more than I would wanna spend, but I'm thinking about this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823816010
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I don't have a link but Staples has a $9.99 keyboard I purchased a couple of days ago with their branding. A clear winner in my book.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So I broke down and bought a cheap ass keyboard. A Logitech K120 for $12. It seems to be the "standard" cheap keyboard that everyone gets, it's sold every where. I have no fantasies about this keyboard lasting any length of time, but for $12, I figured why not. I just couldn't stand my worn out keyboard anymore, the keys are way too mushy. I really wanted to get that Corsair or Das Keyboard, but I'm just not willing to spend $130+ on that right now.

This K120 feels alright. I'm typing on it right now. It sits a little lower than I'd like. But since it's brand new the keys feel good, so overall I guess it's better to type on. Again, I'm really not expecting it to last long. The letters look like they'll wear off in no time. You can just tell it's cheap mass produced item, the way the plastic feels and whatnot. The USB wire is really thin and short. Hopefully it holds out long enough for me to invest in something better. Even if it last a year, I don't wanna be spending $12 on a keyboard once a year when I could just spend $130 on something that's likely to last at least 10 years.

Anyway... /rant. This post was mainly for me to try out my new keyboard. :lol:
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I actually use an older Apple A1048. The keys are surprisingly tactile, it has 2 USB ports and volume controls, a couple of extra function keys, and if you don't mind the command key being substituted for the Windows key, it is a really nice keyboard! I got it for about $20, and I like it better than most gaming keyboards I have tried. The only drawback is a frustratingly short cable, but I solved that with an extension USB cord. Also, you already found a keyboard, and this doesn't match your requested keymap, so it's kind of a moot point for your purposes. :P

~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yes, but the keyboard that I found is only temporary. Like I said, I don't expect it to last very long. It was only $12. It feels nice now (well, better than my worn out keyboard) but since it's so cheap I figure sooner rather than later it'll start feeling mushy or the letters will start fading off.

I do eventually wanna get a "good" keyboard. I'm still open to suggestions. There's three that I've looked at that I was considering getting.

Das Keyboard 4 Professional: It's the layout I want, and it looks really well built. Normally I don't like media keys, but I like how they did it on this keyboard and I would actually use the volume wheel. I like that there isn't an FN key.

Corsair vengeance K70: Still a standard keyboard layout. It lights up but you can turn it off. And again, I like how they implimented the media controls and that there isn't an FN key.

Rosewill RK9000: Standard layout, no extras. It's an older model, so it's available right now for a little cheaper. I was gonna get this one just because of the cheap (in the mechanical keyboard world) price tag. But, I'm not sure that it would last me the 10 years I'd be hoping to get out of the two above.

The Das Keyboard 4 retails for about $170, which is just way too much for me. There's the older model that's only $130, but I don't like it as much. The layout is good, but I don't like that it has an FN key and the 4 model has the volume wheel. The Corsair is $130, and I was considering biting the bullet on it since I have a NewEgg gift card right now for about $60. But, I just didn't feel like spending that kind of money on a keyboard right now. So, well see what happens. I'm still open to suggestions.