Awesome old-school gaming site

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
fox099
64-bit

Awesome old-school gaming site

Post by fox099 »

Has anyone checked out on-network? They have some great old school gaming video discussions there! Check it out

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/play-value
Consoles Owned: Nintendo SNES, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GBA, Sony PSX, PS2, PS3, Sega Master, Microsoft XBox
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: Awesome old-school gaming site

Post by the7k »

I spent about an hour looking at some of their videos, and it is pretty interesting. Don't exactly agree with everything they say (PS3 doesn't have a killer app? The Sega CD had no good games?) but overall, it feels like a video-game version of "I Love the 80s". (I know that doesn't sound like praise to most of ya, but for some strange reason I always end up watching that sorta stuff.)
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

the Dreamcast video was pretty good, allthough they confused powerstone 2 with the original.

they talk about segas business practices catching up with them; lets hope Microsoft's shit hardware catches up with them [microsoft] too.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

I've watched there podcasts, the failed consoles episodes were really good. It reminded me of the Vectrex, a system I plan on getting in the near future. As well as other failed obscure systems that had exclusive lost gems on them. Cool show though.
superlarz
128-bit

Post by superlarz »

I didnt get to watch all of their videos, but at least some were sponsored by Xbox live marketplace.. I can stand when sites (they all do it) are sponsored by hardware makers. It make me feel like their "feelings" on certain subjects are skewed towards the sponsoring dollars.
owned: Atari VCS, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, NES2, Sega Master System, Turbografx-16, Genesis/Sega CD Model 1, Genesis/Sega CD Model 2/32x, SNES, Atari Jaguar, Virtual Boy, GBA, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, PSone, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3
wanted: Cd-I, Neo Geo AES
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

superlarz wrote:I didnt get to watch all of their videos, but at least some were sponsored by Xbox live marketplace.. I can stand when sites (they all do it) are sponsored by hardware makers. It make me feel like their "feelings" on certain subjects are skewed towards the sponsoring dollars.
Play Value deals with mostly retro and dead consoles anyways. So I doubt Microsoft has little if any feelings about the Amiga, Commodore64, Atari2600 or the Vectrex.
superlarz
128-bit

Post by superlarz »

Yes, but they do talk trash on the PS3, and mention that any manufacturer that has half of their products fail (coleco) is going to have their name tarnished forever, without any mention of the current Xbox issue.
owned: Atari VCS, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, NES2, Sega Master System, Turbografx-16, Genesis/Sega CD Model 1, Genesis/Sega CD Model 2/32x, SNES, Atari Jaguar, Virtual Boy, GBA, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, PSone, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

superlarz wrote:Yes, but they do talk trash on the PS3, and mention that any manufacturer that has half of their products fail (coleco) is going to have their name tarnished forever, without any mention of the current Xbox issue.
I didn't see all the podcasts "only like three of them" so I'm going by what I saw.
superlarz
128-bit

Post by superlarz »

i'm not looking to argue about it. i watched a bunch of the podcasts... they are mostly well done. I just think that it is hard to be objective when your main sponsor is one of the major video game companies. If they ever get into a sony vs MS vs Nintendo video, would they be objective? thats all. its not just this site in question, its all gaming sites on the web. I hate when i go on a site and see big ads for games they are reviewing.
FreshChurros
24-bit

Post by FreshChurros »

I watched the videos about John Romero and John Carmack, Shiggy, and the Dreamcast, and they weren't half-bad. I even learned a new fact or two. I'll probably be frequenting this site from now on, thanks for the heads up!
signaturesignaturesignaturesignaturesignature