Switchless Saturn Region Mod!

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
chipperkwah
32-bit

Switchless Saturn Region Mod!

Post by chipperkwah »

Check it out just did this yesterday and it works great! Saturn boots to U.S. region but if you hold down the reset switch for a few seconds it resets into Japanese region. Used kynar wire, that stuff is the business! Now I just need a saturn modchip and my system will be complete.
Want:
Twin Famicom
Sega CD Games
Niode
Next-Gen

Re: Switchless Saturn Region Mod!

Post by Niode »

Erm. I don't think you understand the meaning of switchless.

Nice clean job though. Care to post schematics?
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That reminds me of something I came across when looking for SNES mods.

http://www.consolepassion.co.uk/modific ... chless.htm

They'll mod your consoles for you, and they can do switchless mods too. Scroll down, they have videos for a few different consoles, there's one for the Saturn.

They do switchless for 50/60 Hz and for region. You hold down the reset button for .5, 1, or 3 seconds (if I remember correctly) to activate it. The power light also has different colors to show you which mode it's in. Pretty cool.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

by switchless he means no need to add a toggle to the outside of the console. I've put region switches on a couple saturns and just mounted a toggle switch to the battery door cover. I think the directions for both ways are still on www.gamesx.com, that site has the most in-depth saturn region mod directions i've ever seen.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
chipperkwah
32-bit

Post by chipperkwah »

Ya its called swichless because it uses the existing reset button and not externally mounted toggles, i love it! It is indeed on gamesx, heres the link
http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sat_switchless.htm

There is another switchless mod for the saturn that can change region AND hertz, but you have to program your own chip. Genesis controllers are plentiful where i work so it was an easy decision. Heres the link for the other mod though.
http://seb.riot.org/saturnmod/
Want:
Twin Famicom
Sega CD Games
Tercoil
24-bit

Post by Tercoil »

hmm i'd like to do one of these mods, or a switch version as i dont mind a switch on the battery door... the only problem is i havnt found a very good guide that includes pal, is it possible to have a 3 way switch so i can have pal/ntsc-u/ntsc-J ?? if anyone knows a guide it would be greatly appreciated
Mozgus wrote:
aaron wrote:hit it and quit it. i am certain mozgus is correct.

The problem with that advice is that the "quit it" portion of the process becomes much more complicated after the "hit it" maneuver has been completed. Much easier to "quit it" before all else.
elvis
128-bit

Post by elvis »

Ziggy587 wrote:That reminds me of something I came across when looking for SNES mods.

http://www.consolepassion.co.uk/modific ... chless.htm

Bookmarked. Thanks for the link.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

why not just region patch the discs or get a action replay?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
chipperkwah
32-bit

Post by chipperkwah »

Because you can only region patch burned copies of games and I don't have a saturn modchip. I don't want to use an action replay because you can't save directly to the cart like you can with a regular saturn memory card, and the menus that you have to go through every time you start the system are annoying. With the switchless i just hold down the reset buttton to play a japanese game, or leave it alone and let it boot regularly if i want to play an american game. It's super simple, and the mod was fun to do too.
Want:
Twin Famicom
Sega CD Games
Jimmy Yakapucci
64-bit

Post by Jimmy Yakapucci »

Tercoil wrote:hmm i'd like to do one of these mods, or a switch version as i dont mind a switch on the battery door... the only problem is i havnt found a very good guide that includes pal, is it possible to have a 3 way switch so i can have pal/ntsc-u/ntsc-J ?? if anyone knows a guide it would be greatly appreciated

Go here for a single switch US/UK/JP switch, but you have to add a second switch for 50/60 Hz.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/saturnregion.htm

JY