Dreamcast or N64?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
gup
8-bit

Dreamcast or N64?

Post by gup »

Unexpected credit at a local game shop. Enough to pick up a used Dreamcast or used N64 system and a couple games. Both look like they have their share of classics. Anyone have an opinion or advice?

FYI: Already have a pretty complete Saturn collection, so there's some Dreamcast stuff (VF3tb, SFA3, Vampire Chronicles, etc.) I don't think I'd be interested in.

Thanks in advance ....
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

hard to say since both are good.

The N64 does not have that big game library but it does have some great games in it. And if you pick dreamcast then emulation isnt such a bad choice since the "project 64" emulator is capable of running the most popular n64 games well. But the only way to enjoy that is with a usb adaptor for a n64 gamepad.

The Dreamcast however has a bigger library of games and too boot you can download iso files and burn em on a regular cdr and play them in the dreamcast without a modchip. There are also various emulators for the dreamcast such as Nes,Snes,Genesis,Neo Geo. But i cant really recomend emulating Dreamcast on a pc since it has yet to be perfected.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Dreamcast by far. This coming from a huge Nintendo fan, but I was never diluded enough to think the N64 was anything better than a failure. There's a reason millions of bitter fans hesitated to buy a Gamecube. Outside of Mario, Zelda and StarFox, 99% of the library was nothing but uninspired platformers and shooters, fueled by unplayable frame rates, bad textures, and wonky controls.
retrogamer

Post by retrogamer »

Please get the Dreamcast. This is coming from the ultimate Nintendo fanboy. I won't break the rules of this site by discussing the many possibilities of the Dreamcast but lets just say it will be the best purchase you will ever make at a Gamestop/EBgames store, and the only time you will walk out of that place not feeling as though you have been ripped off. I'm glad they treated you right with your trade ins. If I had to sell all of my consoles but could only keep one it would be the Dreamcast hands down.
CurulleanCat
32-bit

Post by CurulleanCat »

Dreamcast.

Just emulate the 64 on your comp.
Saraph
64-bit

Post by Saraph »

Yea, Dreamcast. I could list a handful of must have titles for the N64, all have great compatibility with Project64.

TLOZ: Ocarina of Time
TLOZ: Majora's Mask
Turok Series
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Cart

Now those are my picks, but really, there are only a few other must haves. Now when it comes to the Dreamcast, you have all the genre's to go through, even some not-so-catagory friendly titles such as Shenmue and Space Channel 5. I won't even go into emulation, which is one of the greatest strengths of the DC. Plus, for those of you familiar with Jeffma and his multi-game CD's, you'll understand how lovely it is to play one of his compilations or one made by a follower of his.

I hope my enthusiasm helped in a way!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

The Dreamcast is one of the best all-around systems.
The N64 can't do all this:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/06/ ... mcast.html
karmax75

Post by karmax75 »

I love nintendo and all, but GET A DREAMCAST! It's got a great collection of games, and the emulation, homebrew, etc. is great.
CurulleanCat
32-bit

Post by CurulleanCat »

Also you can just buy 200 blank CDs and then just torrent the games. Thats basicly the entire library.
insomnia

Post by insomnia »

Get the Dreamcast.

The N64 was a major failure in terms of software development because of Nintendo's unwillingness to use a standardized format (CD-ROM) and instead opting for cartridges (which were expensive to produce and had a much smaller storage capacity compared to CD's). Also, some stupid decisions were made, such as not allowing the Turbo3D microcode for the SGI GPU to be shipped with games (which would've brought up performance leaps and bounds, but for some reason Nintendo didn't allow publishers to ship it).