Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

N64 Emulation on Mac OSX

by racketboy Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm planning on posting a N64 101 Guide but realized I need a good Mac emulator for the N64.
Recommendations? Commentary?
Niode

by Niode Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:15 pm

I tried sixty force around 0.5 and it wasn't brilliant. It was fast on my Macbook Pro with a Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz. Shadows and skyboxes were glitchy. Quite a few games I tried had lots of graphical glitches. I don't remember what games I tried.

Since we are still only on 0.8 I can't see it being much better. I think it's a little premature for full speed emulation right now. Not in comparison to the windows N64 emulation scene anyway.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks!
Mind if I summarize what you just said in the guide?
andymol21
64-bit

by andymol21 Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

You might want to go over the import section as well, there was a discussion a few days ago about US and Jap NTSC N64s being the same, just with a plastic tab for lockout. I didn't include that so you might want to fit that in. I can write something if you need, but I'd just be copying off the topic.

Edit: Heres the topic. http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7464
--=We Do What We Must Because We Can=--

FS/FT Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24755&p=309811#p309811
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:33 pm

Unfortunately I haven't found anything reliable yet either.
Niode

by Niode Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:12 pm

I don't mind if you use any of my posts racket. I'll write it up my post for you if you like? Fill it out a little, do some of my own research if it'll help?
Niode

by Niode Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:43 pm

After re-familiarising myself with sixty force I've decided to tidy up my initial post a little.

N64 emulation on mac is not a new thing, Sixtyforce has been handling emulation on this platform since OS 9. It has only now started to gain enough performance to be playable, with the advent of intel macs with their powerful graphics accelerators. The latest version of Sixty force is available at http://www.sixtyforce.com/ and an incomplete compatibility list can be found at http://www.sixtyforce.com/compatibility/.

Not every game works on the emulator but the ones that do tend to work from average to very well. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time works well, albeit with slightly glitchy audio and sometimes there are strange glitches on indoor scenes, but it works at full speed and looks very good. Pilot wings 64 is playable but many times the screen will have large black boxes and sometimes the pilot will disappear. These are just a few examples.

All in all N64 emulation is possible, but it is far from being at the same level as what is available for Windows users. Another downside is that Sixtyforce is shareware. It costs $16 to enable the full version which allows you to get rid of the 'Gerrit' logo and enables full screen support.

Racket, if there's any more games you want me to try just let me know, i'll have a play around tomorrow and let you know. If anybody else wants to contribute games that they have play-tested (I only have a limited selection of roms unfortunately!) feel free I know there are a few Mac users here! :P
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Mupen64 has a MacOSX version.
noiseredux wrote:. . .I 1CC'd Gunbird 2... on "Baby" difficulty.

I do not feel better about myself. :|
Niode

by Niode Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Just tried Mupen64. The sound is terrible on a lot of high poly games. Perfect dark is almost unplayable but slightly smoother than Sixtyforce. OOT is a lot worse on mupen, not very smooth in game and very low fps on cutscenes, the audio is terrible. Mario 64 is slightly smoother but the sound is worse. Mario Kart 64 doesn't crash randomly on mupen and performs very similarly. Haven't had time to test any other games yet.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Niode wrote:Just tried Mupen64. The sound is terrible on a lot of high poly games. Perfect dark is almost unplayable but slightly smoother than Sixtyforce. OOT is a lot worse on mupen, not very smooth in game and very low fps on cutscenes, the audio is terrible. Mario 64 is slightly smoother but the sound is worse. Mario Kart 64 doesn't crash randomly on mupen and performs very similarly. Haven't had time to test any other games yet.

Sorry I mentioned it. :(
*slinks away*
noiseredux wrote:. . .I 1CC'd Gunbird 2... on "Baby" difficulty.

I do not feel better about myself. :|
Return to Emulation