Bethesda before iD
7%

Total votes: 15

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Together Retro July 2020 - Retro Games by Black Creators

Post by dsheinem »

This month we are playing retro games by Black creators

The article to accompany this month's selection is here: https://medium.com/@DrHeineman/retro-ga ... 8dcd5bcb3f

You can also find a list of other suggested games in the thread as well.

other poll options:
non-winning options:

2) Games that Require Strange Peripherals

The definition of "strange" here is meant to exclude light guns, musical instruments, mice, and trackballs and instead encourage you to use "strange" controllers made for specific games (like Rez's vibrators, Steel Battalion's control panel, the SNES Life Cycle Entertainment Bike, Odama's microphone, etc.) or playing regular games with "strange" controllers (e.g. using the Sega Activator in Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom with the PS1 Ascii Grip, etc.).

3) Bethesda before iD

This one is a lot more straightforward. Any Bethesda-developed title released before 2010 is fair game.

You can find a list here.

The poll closes on June 19th.
Last edited by dsheinem on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ack

Re: Together Retro July 2020 Poll

Post by Ack »

Good news, everyone! Morgan Gray worked on Dark Forces II, and Marcus Montgomery was a tester for Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. You can get some classic FPS gaming in if this option wins.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I own a Channel F so the top option is especially intriguing to me.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

just a few days left - if you are going to vote, do so soon!
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Voted for Retro Games by Black Creators, this is a great idea for a TR theme, especially with the current events. I have access to a few games credited to some of the creators whose bios were posted -- thanks for this info by the way.

Also, awesome avatar, dsheinem.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro July 2020 - Retro Games by Black Creators

Post by dsheinem »

Note wrote:Voted for Retro Games by Black Creators, this is a great idea for a TR theme, especially with the current events. I have access to a few games credited to some of the creators whose bios were posted -- thanks for this info by the way.

Also, awesome avatar, dsheinem.

Thanks!

Hi all- welcome to July! This month we are playing retro games by Black creators! If a Black person was instrumental in developing the game, and the game is older than ten years old, it counts! There are some guiding links to get you started in the OP. I will be posting a longer write-up with a more substantive list of games very soon!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Thanks, DSH! I am very much looking forward to your writings on this topic.

I’ll be playing Twisted Metal 2, and I’m curious to read what others will be playing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

So - quick question...

I am currently working on the essay, which I think will be a pretty cool resource when it is done. However, I currently have been unable to find any examples of Black creators working in the video game industry (as writers. designers, lead programmers, etc.) in the entire decade of the 1980s. So far my searching has yielded zip.

Maybe I am just not looking in the right places? I know that Jerry Lawson's Videosoft made some Atari VCS stuff in the early 1980s...but otherwise I am pulling up a a lot of useless search results by hitting terms around this topic. Does anyone here know of any Black creators working in the industry in the 1980s?
marurun

Post by marurun »

I don't know about the 80s, but I hope you have Mike Pondsmith on your list of folks working in the industry from the late 90s.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

marurun wrote: hope you have Mike Pondsmith on your list of folks working in the industry from the late 90s.

I don't have him in the essay, which focuses on 1990s and prior. Wikipedia says he started at MS in 2000. Was there a video game released with his name on it before then?

That said, his work is a great inclusion for this month, and much of it fits the "ten year or older" cutoff, so I will put his name in the OP!