Your favorite OST for 2017!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Your favorite OST for 2017!

Post by Xeogred »

This is for ANYTHING you played in 2017 that had an amazing standout soundtrack you loved!

That said, some of my top favorites were from new games this year.

1. Nier Automata - Keiichi Okabe, Studio Monca, Keigo Hoashi, et al

Hard to put into words how much I loved this OST and how deeply it resonated with me. It's very Xenogears-Mitsuda, which is 120% everything I love. Epic, metallic, sci-fi-ish orchestrated goodness with tons of backing vocal hymns and chants. It also reminds me a lot of Kenji Kawai's style (Ghost in the Shell movies, Patlabor, etc). I think this is one of the best OST's I've ever heard and will be a timeless gem. It's my favorite Japanese JRPG styled OST since Xenoblade, which shares some similarities in style. Nier Automata is my GOTY for 2017 and the music is a huge piece to that.

Few standout picks:
NieR: Automata OST - Wretched Weaponry (Dynamic - Vocals)
NieR: Automata OST - Memories of Dust (Dynamic - Vocals)
NieR: Automata OST - A Beautiful Song (Opera Boss Theme)
NieR: Automata OST - Birth of a Wish (This Cannot Continue - Vocals)
NieR: Automata OST - Sound of the End (Dynamic - Vocals)

There was also chiptune versions of all BGM tracks for story and game reasons. Along with NieR Replicant throwbacks to the rare few of us who played the first.

NieR: Automata OST - Wretched Weaponry (8-bit)

Key-Glyph used my testimonial from some PM's and read it over on her VGM Jukebox podcast a few episodes ago. Was a thrill and honor to have that happen.

Here's a good one for a game that's been on my mind for over a month now or since whenever I beat it, Nier Automata. Who knew that Keiichi Okabe who mostly did work on the Tekken games could create such incredibly powerful and epic music. His work for Nier, Nier Automata, and Drakengard 3 is something else. But I like how in Automata he seems to utilize a bit more bass and drums, giving it this metallic edge that fits the sci-fi aesthetic very well. It reminds me of Mitsuda's work on Xenogears quite a bit, even beyond the music the games themselves seem highly comparable with their themes and storytelling. Overall Automata's score is just flatout one of my new favorite Japanese JRPG styled OST's from the modern era next to Xenoblade!

This is just normal BGM playing alongside you beating up robots. Words can't describe how awesome it makes you feel. It's so over the top and beautiful because of that. I don't like my videogame music shy, I want it up front and center. Keiichi Okabe needs to be on everyones radar!

2. Sonic Mania - Tee Lopes

Everyone knows the Genesis Sonic music is amazing, along with both Sonic CD's. What if we got an amazing 2D Sonic game on the Saturn? Sonic Mania is that answer. Tee Lopes did a lot of remixes for the first zone of an act, then the tune would be reworked with his own spin in the second zone. From start to finish, the entire OST was pure bliss.

Few standout picks:
Sonic Mania OST - Mirage Saloon Zone Act 1 ~Sonic Version~
Sonic Mania OST - Flying Battery Zone Act 2
Sonic Mania OST - Hydrocity Zone Act 2
Sonic Mania OST - Titanic Monarch Zone Act 1

3. Honorable Mentions

Doom 2 Valiant Megawad - Duke3D Remix Track
Mega Turrican
Contra: Hard Corps
Contra 3: The Alien Wars
Prey (2017)
Drakengard 3
Mushihimesama
Yakuza Zero
Metroid: Samus Returns
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Your favorite OST for 2017!

Post by noiseredux »

The Prey soundtrack really stood out to me off the top of my head .
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'll revisit this in a week or two. I'm pretty sure Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is going to be high on my list. I'm a big fan of Mitsuda as well. Mitsuda said that XC2 is his largest work ever. The Pro Tools content was about 1TB. His next largest project is 500GB.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Yakuza 0. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6AuvA-tl3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgWzrnzCyQ and the best one sounds something from the 70s kung fu films https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ai_5rOmyo4

Matterfall has a great 80s synth sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEO4boJfGiw

Nier is just even better than the first games OST and that is saying something. I can't wait to blow 40 bucks next year on the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 OST as well. I'm just a nerd for this series!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

bmoc wrote:I'll revisit this in a week or two. I'm pretty sure Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is going to be high on my list. I'm a big fan of Mitsuda as well. Mitsuda said that XC2 is his largest work ever. The Pro Tools content was about 1TB. His next largest project is 500GB.

I wonder how it'll differ compared to Xenoblade 1's OST. Most tend to believe that was all him, but that's not true at all. In fact he only did a track or two, it was mostly done by a trio of people under the name of ACE+, along with some other composers. A huge monster project in itself. Then Xenoblade X had some anime composer for whatever reason and J rock or something?...

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/ACE
https://vgmdb.net/artist/8635

Mechonis Field is my top favorite track from Xenoblade.

But yeah, they've been hyping up that this is Mitsuda's biggest project ever and he sounds way more involved than the first game. Chrono Trigger, Cross, and Xenogears are S Rank in my book... I'm stoked.

noiseredux wrote:The Prey soundtrack really stood out to me off the top of my head .

I think it's my favorite from Mick Gordon so far.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Yoko Shimomura did a fair amount of work on Xenoblade 1. XCX had a great OST outside the LA theme. XCX just had a very different sound. XB from ACE just had a stellar OST from quite a few people. Yoko is a badass as always on XB. Mitsuda gets far more credit than he deserves anymore. He really doesn't do that much.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I like first Niers OST much more than Automatas but Automatas OST is still probably the best from this year. Prey did have some great tracks but as a whole it wasn't all that memorable for me. Same goes for Persona 5's.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The original Nier OST is incredible, but it's extremely melancholic and emotionally draining haha. Really have to be in the mood for that one. The music invokes so much of the dark and depressing context around that game. I liked how Automata's OST was a little louder, catchier, and fun. Love both though.

Segata wrote:Yoko Shimomura did a fair amount of work on Xenoblade 1. XCX had a great OST outside the LA theme. XCX just had a very different sound. XB from ACE just had a stellar OST from quite a few people. Yoko is a badass as always on XB. Mitsuda gets far more credit than he deserves anymore. He really doesn't do that much.

Yeah I think Yoko did better on Xenoblade than FFXV.

Yo... there are a LOT of Xenoblade 2 tracks on youtube right now and it sounds like a 10/10 OST for sure. These will probably get deleted soon so check them out ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9Mq_Gjn50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUEl0JGy2Y
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Nintendo has even been posting Xeno 2 music on their little Switch updates and stuff, so they are really pushing the ost. Very excited for it.

So far, though, Nier: Automata takes the cake for me. Its also my goty though, so some bias.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna have to go Wolfenstein II.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode