Strafe

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
travis_stywall
16-bit

Strafe

Post by travis_stywall »

I was excited for this game, but the reviews on Steam are very negative at the moment called it stale and repetitive. Has anyone played this yet? I'm sure there is someone out there actually enjoying it.
MrPopo

Re: Strafe

Post by MrPopo »

The game is exactly what was presented in the Kickstarter; a fast paced FPS roguelike with 1996 graphics and an amusing blood mechanic that paints the levels. The only complaint I've had with it is that enemies are too quiet overall; you frequently can have enemies sneak up on you and start bashing you, especially when a monster closet is triggered.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm going to wait for a sale on this one but I'm interested. From what I've been reading it seems like a solid start that can do with some updates to refine it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

What are the roguelike elements?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The levels are procedurally generated based on various room templates (think of how the rooms get put together in Nethack). There's a variety of random pickups that improve your primary weapon as well as non-reloadable secondary weapons that can be found. There's no saving in game and a run should only take about 2 hours or so. I think maybe you can stop and restart at certain points, but that would be the "time for bed" option, not a way to get around permadeath.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

So FPS Spelunky? I'm interested ...
travis_stywall
16-bit

Post by travis_stywall »

Despite the reviews, now you've gotten me more jazzed up to play it this weekend. I'm definitely intrigued by the rogue-like aspects of it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

About half the reviews are "I didn't actually read the description and thought you were remaking Quake 1".
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

Some reviews are saying that you can randomly get dropped into a situation where you will just fail and there is nothing you can do. That doesn't sound like much fun...so hopefully the devs can patch stuff like that.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Metal Jesus wrote:Some reviews are saying that you can randomly get dropped into a situation where you will just fail and there is nothing you can do. That doesn't sound like much fun...so hopefully the devs can patch stuff like that.

that sounds like a roguelike to me - unless you mean the levels are generated in a way that there is no exit for instance.