XANADU MF'ING NEXT

Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

XANADU MF'ING NEXT

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

On Steam and GOG.com as of today.

Xanadu Next is part of the Dragon Slayer series, and also the third Xanadu game, after Xanadu (various computers, Saturn) and Faxanadu (NES).

This is pure old school ARPG bliss brought to us by the fine folks at Nihon Falcom. Before today the only way to play it was to import the big box PC version from Japan or track down the localized N-Gage variation (seriously).

Anyone else stoked as hale????
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: XANADU MF'ING NEXT

Post by noiseredux »

wasn't familiar with this entry, but it looks really cool actually. Nice.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Original release date of 2005, I forgot to mention.

This is sort of Falcom's answer to Diablo and the Western hack and slash craze.

Price is steeper than what I'd prefer for a digital game, but it's a steal compared to the big box version.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

It's not one of Kiya's games, thus not actually part of the Dragon Slayer series. I might care more if it were.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Debatable. The series is vague and there's no definite Dragon Slayer list as far as I'm concerned. Some lists end the series in 1995 with The Legend of Xanadu II. Some omit Faxanadu and Dragon Slayer Gaiden. Others are super-inclusive and lump in all the Legend of Heroes games, the Dragon Slayer iOS spin-off, the upcoming Tokyo Xanadu, and so on. And I still can't make heads or tails of the Lord Monarch situation - what's a remake, what's a sequel, etc...

But yes, the Dragon Slayer PC compilation released in Japan a few years ago only contains the Kiya games as far as I know. I'll concede that much.

Anyhow, Xanadu Next rules so you should play it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'll get the GOG version because XSEED.

A 100% English patch for the PC version has been available for a while now*. I think that fact may serve to diminish sales a smidgen, but hopefully not too much. It's by Falcom so you know it's good.

* http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1659/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Dude, I used to love NES Faxanadu! I'm going to have to check this out.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

....maybe yall's talk of this will inspire me to actually play Faxanadu....lol I've had it for years but never actually gotten around to playing it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:....maybe yall's talk of this will inspire me to actually play Faxanadu....lol I've had it for years but never actually gotten around to playing it.

Faxanadu is boss. I love that game, and I would love to see a sequel. (The release of Faxanadu Next would have inspired me to buy a gaming PC.)

I recently forgot (and then remembered again) that I beat Faxanadu some years ago. I guess that means I should play through it again soon to refresh my memory. :lol:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I really ought to play replay Faxanadu. I got the game for my 11th birthday back in 1990, and beat it quickly. I remember really enjoying it, but I don't remember much about it now. It'd almost be like playing it new again.

That said, I don't think Faxanadu and Xanadu Next are terribly similar. One is a sideview action-RPG platformer, the other is an overhead action-RPG dungeon crawler.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.