Doom (4? 2016?) ain't half bad

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
marurun

Doom (4? 2016?) ain't half bad

Post by marurun »

So, playing the new Doom, and kinda liking it. It runs pretty well on my PC and looks great. And I think it really plays proper homage to the idea of the original Doom, without trying to BE it. The game isn't co-op (boo!), but you can make and play co-op maps, and string them together into a campaign of sorts. Maybe some of us should co-op together some time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Doom (4? 2016?) ain't half bad

Post by Tanooki »

I'm mostly enjoying it, but I raged out on it the other day and I'm playing it on easy to start which says a lot. :\ I got into the first Hell stage and the game I will say for all its awesome pluses has one negative, it isn't even on leveling up the difficulty of the game. Once you go from where you start out at which is for a bit into the game, and then into Hell it ramps up hard core. I know I must be at the end of the first hell stage but they drop like 3 barons, a few cacodemons, a few of those fat blobs from D2 with the rocket hands, some revenants, and various imps and crap all at the same time in a somewhat smaller of a closed area with a side that opens to a death drop. This is also the first stage they introduce the screaming skulls, the cacodemons and the barons too so it's like they take it from 0-60 in seconds.

I've tried running into it, tried staying out and picking off from afar and it's just pissing me off big time. I've not touched it in like 3 days now and I'm almost tempted to cheat code off that part which bugs me but I don't want to leave it hanging.

If one thing I can say is negative about this game is that while it wants to be old DOOM in a lot of ways it has turned into a very rapid paced run and gun and not so much with the gratuitous amounts of ammo lying around as in the past so you end up getting screwed. Yes they give you a pistol in this with free ammo but it's a pea shooter against much of the enemies in the game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Chainsaw turns enemies into ammo piñatas.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Something tells me FPS's aren't Tanooki's specialty.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

The most modern of them not so much. It's not that I'm missing, I think the newest stuff wants you to more or less use a specific weapon and I use what I like, then fall back on others. That and the game is very very fast paced, you can't stop or you get greased. I prefer to take my time, work a room/area over and move along more tactical and slow. This game isn't that, but despite the fact I enjoy it quite a bit, but that part has me pissed and I haven't gone back probably 3-4 days now.

I'm sure someone will get a laugh at my expense but the quitting point is when I snapped, tossed the mouse at the wall and let off a bunch of colorful metaphors. Still works, as well as it did before hand as it's older and the wheel button hasn't worked reliably in a while. Oddly the button 3 seems to work better after being pieced back together as it went everywhere.

I have yet to use the chainsaw but I have it. I honestly don't remember how to ever start the thing, it has gas though. I tend to go between the shotgun, assault gun and plasma rifle. Recently got the gatling gun which is nice too on the bigger stuff as is that rail gun of sorts whatever it's called it's new. Typically though I like to use the grenade shells as the secondary on the shotgun as it has decent stopping power. I have got all those rune challenges so far I've come across, think I missed one probably, not really sure as I'm not using a faq.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The chainsaw has a dedicated button to swap between it and your last used weapon. It's an instant kill on EVERYTHING. After the kill it will bring out your last used gun and the enemy explodes in a shower of ammo that should top you off. Trust me, you want to incorporate it into your fights.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Indeed. The chainsaw is an important part of the game's resource management system so if you're having issues running out of ammo, that's why. There's also a rune that makes enemies drop more ammo but I don't recall needing to use it over other options.

Though once I got some argent cell upgrades to my ammo storage it became less and less of an issue and most of the arenas are chock full of ammo.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Did you guys know there's a new DOOM? I heard it's pretty good. I wish somebody around here would play it so we could know for sure.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator wrote:Did you guys know there's a new DOOM? I heard it's pretty good. I wish somebody around here would play it so we could know for sure.

Probably a friendly heads up for marurun to be more active... since I laughed when I saw this thread too.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Exhuminator wrote:Did you guys know there's a new DOOM? I heard it's pretty good. I wish somebody around here would play it so we could know for sure.

Doom? Wasn't that the terrible sci-fi movie with the Rock? Why would anyone make a game out of that?