Night Dive Studios remaking the original System Shock

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Night Dive Studios remaking the original System Shock

Post by Erik_Twice »

Apparently it's the same studio that made the Enhanced Edition release of the game for GOG:

Link:
http://www.fastcompany.com/3053050/app- ... m-the-dead

Apparently, they already have some of the original staff on board (Eric and Terri Brosius, Robb Waters)
Link
https://twitter.com/NightDiveStudio/sta ... _src=twsrc^tfw

As someone who couldn't get into the game because of how dated the camera, graphics and controls are, I hope the remake is a good one :D
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Re: Night Dive Studios remaking the original System Shock

Post by Metal Jesus »

Playing the original System Shock is a pretty rough experience at this point. Those controls are really weird compared to today's FPS games... I could never get very far either.

That's an interesting article. Too bad they couldn't work out No One Lives Forever because I really do love the first two in the series!
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

I played through the Enhanced Edition a little while ago, and loved every minute of it. The thing you need to keep in mind is that it's not an FPS, but a sci-fi dungeon crawler. Imagine Ultima Underworld but with cyborgs and lasers and that's basically it. I'm looking forward to the remake and I hope they keep the dungeon crawling roots, rather than making an FPS out of it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

How can you improve on perfection?

In all seriousness, some streamlining would make this classic more palatable to the modern attention span challenged player. And that's a good thing too, because System Shock is freaking awesome and deserves to be loved by as many gamers as possible.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Maybe I'm weird, but I think it'd be cool enough just to have it "ported" over to the Dark Engine that System Shock 2 and Thief 1-2 used, albeit with some official updates and patches to have it easily run on modern systems. I know those games run really well on just about anything nowadays, but they do take a bit of work, mods, and tweaking. Once it all runs smoothly, it's a damn good engine. On a side note I've always wished someone would demake Thief Deadly Shadows into the Dark Engine as well... those tiny maps and combo breaker loading screens are awful and really brings it down (same with Invisible War).

Anyways, is this an official and legit full blown remake? Hard to tell based off a random tweet and article. Looking over the wiki for Night Dive Studios, I guess they officially own the license/IP now or whatever? I kind of figured 2K owned the rights, but maybe not?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

From what I've read, Night Dive bought the IP, so the franchise is their baby now. Whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen. But I for one appreciate them actually bringing the series back to life at all.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Polygon's got some of the first screenshots and have set them up to do a side by side comparison.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/25/98014 ... t-look-art

I'm liking what I'm seeing. This so far looks like a proper technology modernization without trying to reimagine the game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Yeah, that looks really good so far.

I really hope they stick to this. Makes me wonder how they'll handle the music.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns

Pre-alpha footage. I recognized several of the areas and it does look like how they would have made the environments look on a modern engine. Night Dive is really doing a great job so far.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

It looks like a great remake for the casuals who can't handle the original.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.