Just made my mark in a Shanhai arcade

2D Shooters Invade
scarper
128-bit

Just made my mark in a Shanhai arcade

Post by scarper »

I'm studying abroad in China this year, and just found one of the many local arcades. Since then, I've been playing DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou quite a bit, and just got the top of their leaderboards. This is at the Feng Yun Zai Qi Game Center by People's Square in Shanghai.

http://imgur.com/a/bkgLh

The score probably isn't even that great, but there's something about getting the top score at an Asian arcade. I dunno. It's like I've reached a euphoric state of gaming nirvana.

Unfortunately, I have only seen three shmup machines in all of china so far, but they do love fighters, racers, and light gun games. King of Fighters appears to be the most popular by far, more so than Street Fighter. One of the shmups I saw looked like a Castle of Shikigami knock-off using KoF/Fatal Fury characters. You can dodge bullets as Terry Bogard, Mai, and four others. It was actually pretty good.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Just made my mark in a Shanhai arcade

Post by fastbilly1 »

Congrats man, thats awesome

scarper wrote:One of the shmups I saw looked like a Castle of Shikigami knock-off using KoF/Fatal Fury characters. You can dodge bullets as Terry Bogard, Mai, and four others. It was actually pretty good.

Most likely The King of Fighters: Sky Stage. But possibly NeoGeo Heroes:Ultimate Shooting
scarper
128-bit

Post by scarper »

fastbilly1 wrote:Congrats man, thats awesome

scarper wrote:One of the shmups I saw looked like a Castle of Shikigami knock-off using KoF/Fatal Fury characters. You can dodge bullets as Terry Bogard, Mai, and four others. It was actually pretty good.

Most likely The King of Fighters: Sky Stage. But possibly NeoGeo Heroes:Ultimate Shooting

Thanks!
I didn't know it was an official game. Many of the enemy sprites were completely unanimated. Like, they would move around and attack you, but they only had one animation frame. Everything else about the game looked pretty legit though. It's quite fun.

I heard another nearby arcade has way more shmups than this one, I'll get pictures and a post about that in the near future.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

If you go back to that arcade would you ask them if they'd sell KoF Sky Stage? I don't need the motherboard - just the HDD and dongle. It's one of the rarest Taito Type X games and is insanely priced in the JP shops.
scarper
128-bit

Post by scarper »

mjmjr25 wrote:If you go back to that arcade would you ask them if they'd sell KoF Sky Stage? I don't need the motherboard - just the HDD and dongle. It's one of the rarest Taito Type X games and is insanely priced in the JP shops.

My Chinese is not very good, but I have a few friends who can speak it pretty well. Next time I go with one of them, I'll have them ask/translate. Don't worry, I go back there pretty often.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I'm sure they know, but they can put in any other HDD and Dongle from another game in there. It's possible they are just emulating it too - there are multi-kit HDD's around, and they may just be using that. I've only seen KoF Sky Stage at (2) online JP shops - never on Yahoo JP or Ebay.