Skyshine's Bedlam

Level up here
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Skyshine's Bedlam

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Really cool game so far. I Kickstarted this one, but ended up getting an early review code anyway.

This game uses the Banner Saga engine. It shares some similarities, but is a much different style of game. It is a roguelike tactical RPG. You have a caravan that you drive from point to point. You can investigate points of interest or move forward towards the end goal on a map. You have a few resources to manage. Fuel, Food, Energy, and People. As you move, your big tank caravan uses gas, and the people eat the food. Energy is used to upgrade your caravan or use skills/super weapons in battle.

If you get in a battle, it is fought in a tactical grid based system. This is where the similarities to Banner Saga come in. 4 unit types, Long range, melee, mid range, and a short range that pushes back the enemy. You can also defeat and then recruit hero/elite units as well. All of your characters can level up/promote, but death is permanent and units die easily. You get 2 actions per turn to use on any of your characters in battle

The game is fairly difficult. You have to balance your resources and make a lot of tough decisions. Do you put your character in harms way, perhaps sacrificing him to get that item pick up? Should you push forward or explore the area for goods? Use the energy cells to make your vehicle more efficient, or save them for battle?

Each game takes about 20-45 minutes, and I have played about 10-12. I haven't beaten the game yet, but really enjoy it. My last run I came very close.

Noise, I think you may really like this one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Skyshine's Bedlam

Post by noiseredux »

Jmustang1968 wrote:Noise, I think you may really like this one.

haha, I was thinking the same as I read through your post!

EDIT: Wow, the Steam reviews aren't exactly glowing. Screenshots like really nice, tho.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Skyshine's Bedlam

Post by Jmustang1968 »

noiseredux wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:Noise, I think you may really like this one.

haha, I was thinking the same as I read through your post!

EDIT: Wow, the Steam reviews aren't exactly glowing. Screenshots like really nice, tho.

I read those. People mad at difficulty ramp or mad you get 2 moves per turn. The devs wanted to make it more like chess. But some guys have this idea that all tactical games need to follow the same rules.